Glacier viewing

Watson's aunt

Hi

I have looking at some of the wonderful photo's that have ben posted in Alaska. In a lot of them I have seen a boat in front of a glacier. I looked at a lot of Hubbard and Glacier park. do these ships stay there blocking your view? Nothing gets me upset is when something blocks a wonderful place and all I have is some ship in front of a glacier.

Mary

From what I understand all the ships are on a set schedule so there won't be a time where you will have two or more ships there at the same time. You'll for sure see a ship or two in passing when coming and going as the slots are limited and they are all used.

Hi

I have looking at some of the wonderful photo's that have ben posted in Alaska. In a lot of them I have seen a boat in front of a glacier. I looked at a lot of Hubbard and Glacier park. do these ships stay there blocking your view? Nothing gets me upset is when something blocks a wonderful place and all I have is some ship in front of a glacier.

Mary

At Hubbard you may see another ship in the distance but it will move away before you get up close and personal. You may also have a small boat in front of you from time to time but it shouldn't have a major impact on your view of either glacier.

Just got back from southbound cruisetour on Diamond Princess and the National Park Service folks embarked at Glacier Bay said that that they limit the park to 2 cruise ships per day.

We cruised in Glacier Bay all day and evening and never saw another cruise ship. There were a few kayaks and small boats that were handy for giving scale/perspective to the size of mountains and glaciers.

Hi

Mary

Hi Mary...don't give this another thought. As prev. posters said' date=' you may meet another large ship leaving, as you are sailing into the glacier area, but the small boats that are "up close and personal" to the glaciers are like a little speck in front of these gigantic glaciers. They are in no way, in your way. And, remember, you have a 360 degree view of AWESOME.....you are totally surrounded by incredible beauty. Get the camera ready. gg[/color']

We were on the Island Princess in June. A Holland America ship was ahead of us by an hour or so. We could see it ahead of us at the Margerie Glacier, but it was gone by the time we arrived. We were in front of Margerie for a couple of hours, then headed off to the Lamplugh and Johns Hopkins Glaciers. I was expecting a bay similar to the San Francisco Bay, which is where I grew up. Glacier Bay is more like a series of inlets. A boat could be in front of one glacier, and you could be in front of another, and you'd never know it.

I just posted my Glacier Bay review with lots of photos at http://www.terrellandjulie.blogspot.com.

I hope this helps,

Julie

I am hoping to go back to Alaska next year. I was there this year June 10-24. I was on the Amsterdam. did not get to see any glacier's this time due to ice. the Glacier were my number one thing I wanted to see. But I was thrilled with all the ice and bergs floating in the water.

Thank you for sharing you wonderful photo's and reissuring mmr about big ships in front of Gacier

Mary

On the Zuiderdam last month, it was like we were alone in Glacier Bay. We did see another ship in the distance, but it was too far to even know what ship it was. Were you referring to the small tour boats that sometimes are in front of the glaciers? We did see one of those, but it was only there for a little while, and it by no means was blocking our view!

Archived