vaccinations for the caribbean...

laurakdy

We are going on the azura in November, the barbados cruise...

Now last year when we went we were never informed about injections and quite frankly didnt think we really needed any but this year my doctor has advised us to get Hepatitis A and tetanus...

Now on the face of it, that seems ok but then I had a wee check on the internet about these injections and was horrified at the more serious side effects that the hepatitis injection can cause...

Now, yes I know all medications come with these warnings but most dont say 'even death'

What are you views on this people, are you all vaccinated and feel its best to do so, or dont you generally bother ? I would love to hear your opinions...

I would very much like to do it but not so sure I will risk it now to be honest and I cant believe I'm even saying that, as if I don't I will have to be extra careful/cautious and this will makeme probably not do certain things I wanted to do on the cruise which involve eating and drinking on the various beautiful islands we are visiting...

I've had both in the past, but I wouldn't take the Hep A for the Caribbean unless you are going to be eating ashore a lot. Tetanus is always good to be in date for, even at home. A bad cut or a fall can cause tetanus. However, if your doc thinks you should have it, I would go with the doctor's advice.

I'm a dr and am not vaccinated against hep a but I am otherwise fit and well so don't bother. Whilst the carribean is low risk and a cruise even lower risk, if you have other medical conditions then it's probably prudent to be vaccinated. Side effect leaflets are designed to cover drug companies' backs not to inform patient ( just something to bare in mind)

Thanks guys for the replies - I am so tempted to not bother but soo scared...

Although we wont be really eating of the ship, I am still a bit apprehensive about eating on the ship as well...Not knowing where the food comes from is a bit worrying as theyre hardly likely to get things from our local shops, so to speak...

I read a story today about a restararnt in america a few years back who infected all these people and it turned out the dish had spring onions in it (raw food where it pretty much manifests itself) but it had been imported from Mexico of all places...

I love salads etc but thats also one of the foods you can pick it up from...

Theyre hardly like to import that from britain for the 2 week cruise are they ?

Gosh last year I never gave this a second thought...:rolleyes:

laura - you really don't need to worry about the ship's food and I have eaten at beach shacks in India. Fresh fish thrown in a pan and cooked are hardly going to make you ill. I have also eaten fresh fish cooked the same way in St Lucia. Don't forget some bacteria is actually good for you. Kids today are so protected from bacteria that they get allergies!!! I eat salads every day on the ship. They are delicious.

We've always had whatever is recommended, including Hep A, Tetanus, Typhoid. We have never suffered any side effects.

Does your insurance company make any stipulations about having any immunisations recommended by the Department of Health for your intended destination?

Carol x

Does your insurance company make any stipulations about having any immunisations recommended by the Department of Health for your intended destination?

Carol x

Most insurance companies include a clause stating they will not meet any claims for something that could have been prevented by having a vaccination.

All sounds good folks but just because you havnt heard it doesnt mean to say it hasnt happened and there's always a frst time...:)

Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Well f you live your life like that you'd better get out of your house now as planes have landed on houses... But then if you go outside people have been run over by cars....decisions decisions.

Hep a is unpleasant but rarely fatal don't get to stressed about it.

Whilst I understand what your saying about insurance companies, the injections for the caribbean are only recommended not compulsary, so with my insurance I'm ok, thankfully...

That said folks, today I found out it isnt Hep A and Tetanus I have to get, its (no I dont know how to spell this), Hepathyrax ?

I think it Hepatitis and Typhoid, which I did in fact have back in 1994/95, and although I did feel a bit crap later on that night after having it, thats all there was to it...

Also, apparantly its much improved now also so I'm unlikely to even feel crap like the last time...

All my other jabs are up to date...I did think though I might have been covered for longer after having it in the 90s but it doesnt appear so...

THanks for all your comments, much appreciated...

Whilst I understand what your saying about insurance companies, the injections for the caribbean are only recommended not compulsary, so with my insurance I'm ok, thankfully...

That said folks, today I found out it isnt Hep A and Tetanus I have to get, its (no I dont know how to spell this), Hepathyrax ?

I think it Hepatitis and Typhoid, which I did in fact have back in 1994/95, and although I did feel a bit crap later on that night after having it, thats all there was to it...

Also, apparantly its much improved now also so I'm unlikely to even feel crap like the last time...

All my other jabs are up to date...I did think though I might have been covered for longer after having it in the 90s but it doesnt appear so...

THanks for all your comments, much appreciated...

Have you checked this out?

The reason I wouldn't be too sure is that there is an onus on the insured to do all they can to avoid a claim, if you've been advised to get an injection and don't could there be an element of neglect?

I'm not an insurance agent so don't know the answer but am throwing it out there.

Yes I checked today when it was mentioned on here lat night...Thankyou...

When we went to the caribbean last year it wasnt even suggested to us by the doctor to have any injections which I now find odd but this year I did a bit of research and found out for myself...

Archived