Not impressed with Carnival or Freedom

Carib210

Just off the Freedom and these are our impressions and opinions, so don't read this if you don't want to hear anything negative re: Carnival.

-This seemed to be the cruise of Long Lines. Starting with check in to the buffet. The buffet area is poorly designed and everyone is on one long line whether you just want cereal or hot breakfast items.

-Large family groups on this cruise, and they seemed to have the outlook that if one family member is on line, that qualifies 10-15 other family members the right to cut the lines. This happened mostly on the buffet but also included getting off the ship.

-Again, very loud groups. If they were up, you were up. Family meetings took place in the hallways anytime of the day or night. In fact, when asked to meet in their rooms and not the hallways, they responded their kids were sleeping. Well, what about my children with you yelling outside my room!

-Food was adequate. Nothing really outstanding.

-Teens out of control. In fact the teen room was closed on occasion because of fights.

-Teens took over the elevators, sitting on the elevator floor, not allowing passengers to get on.

-Small balcony.

-Ship felt cut off. Example, Chic dining room mid ship so you had to remember that when going aft to forward not able to do that on certain decks. Also, pool area seems small due to stadium style seating.

-Upon embarking the ship when in port, no crew member in sight to assist with wheelchairs or handle crowd control. Many people jumped the line, pushing past the civilized people.

-Areas of the ship were taken over by "birthday" parties. One night the lobby was utilized as a private reception for these birthdays. Denying other passengers the use.

-Crew and service was good, but not outstanding.

This is our 2nd cruise with Carnival (out of 26 total) and this cruise was nothing like our first cruise with Carnival. The previous Carnival cruise left from Tampa, and we were impressed with them and therefore did not hesitate to cruise with Carnival again. But, this cruise was nothing like the last cruise. This cruise cost us just as much, if not more than our recent cruises on Royal Carib and Celebrity, yet, we felt that it was a ship out of control and no one seemed to care.

Lines are just as crazy on Royal Caribbean, especially during the summer months. This is high peak time and when a lot of people travel. I have also seen the same issues with the kids on other lines. Well, except Costa, and that was during January and being 40 something, I was the kid lol.

I'm sorry your trip wasn't that great. Maybe Carnival isn't for you. I like Carnival, for the family because it is a better price option for us. For just my hubby and me, I like Princess or RCL. I can find something great on all lines I have been on. I just keep thinking a bad day on a cruise is still better then the best day at work.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience on the Freedom. From the reviews I've read what you saw was atypical.

I'm glad to hear that your first experience with Carnival was much better. Here's hoping that you'll give the line another chance in the future.

:)

sorry your cruise wasnt as expected..but (knew that was coming!) and this is no reflection on your valid cruise points.

But where the hell are the parents?? It is not the cruise lines responsibility (or yours or mine or the neighbor down the road) to keep an eye on bratty out of control kids. These parents need to have the hand of god reach down and slap them upside..the head.

sorry it wasnt the greatest for you

have a good day

starla

I am sorry to hear that your cruise wasn't great. Our first cruise was on the Freedom and we had a incredible time! It was nothing like what you described, however... what you described sounds like what we had to endure on our second cruise on Carnival Inspiration.

We can say that we learned our lesson, cruise during fall, winter, or spring when the kids are in the school. Less chance of rowdy kids, families who thinks they own the ship, etc.

I'm sorry you had such a bad time. To me it seems that your experience has more to do with your fellow passengers then the ship and Carnival itself. We went on Freedom in November and had the totally opposite experience. It never felt crowded. We never experienced any lines and always had good experiences disembarking at the ports, the food was excellent, and the crew was amazing.

You should give Carnival another chance but maybe during a different time of year when there are less kids possible.

sorry your cruise wasnt as expected..but (knew that was coming!) and this is no reflection on your valid cruise points.

But where the hell are the parents?? It is not the cruise lines responsibility (or yours or mine or the neighbor down the road) to keep an eye on bratty out of control kids. These parents need to have the hand of god reach down and slap them upside..the head.

sorry it wasnt the greatest for you

have a good day

starla

I do agree that its the parents responsibility, and not Carnival's fault regarding bad behavior by people. Some parents believe that the ship is such a safe environment and let their children run free on a ship, and yet would never allow them such leeway anywhere else. And BTW, on 2 occasions I heard men on the elevator make lewd remarks regarding teenage girls, and if they said the things they did in front of me, image what they said at other times.

A few things:

• Yes, fellow cruisers can definitely make or break a vacation. I agree that you can sail on the same ship twice and have two completely different experiences. For example, we've sailed on the Liberty twice. Once during low season, and once during Thanksgiving. One cruise was laid back, quiet, and relaxing. The other one not so much. We had to battle long lines, rude people, wild kids, etc.

• While it is true that parents should be responsible for their kids, it's also true that Carnival staff should be pro-active about enforcing rules, and many times, they DON'T. I have seen many times passengers (young and old) being disruptive, yet crewmembers walk right by them as if nothing is going on.

• To the OP, most of what you wrote I've seen or experienced at one point or another on the several Carnival cruises I've taken. However, as others have mentioned, don't take one bad cruise and write off Carnival completely.

We didn't like th Freedom either. Of the nine Carnival cruises we have done, that one as our least favorite. The service wasn't up to par and it seemed we had an unhappy crew. A lot of things went wrong, some of it not the fault of Carnival, but we were disappointed with this ship.

We usually cruise in Feb. and it's always a wonderful experience. The one time we cruised in the summer, it was pretty much how you described it to be. Many, many kids and teens, some out of control, and parents nowhere near to supervise. Long lines, and general congested atmosphere. We had 2 kids of our own on a couple of our cruises, but I would never leave them alone, except when they were well supervised in Camp Carnival. Our daughter was a teenager, and she stayed with us. Our young son loved Camp Carnival.

It may be a vacation, but that doesn't mean that kids good manners, behaviour, and expectations get to fly out the window.

We'll be sailing on the Freedom this Feb, and I'm really looking forward to it. (without our kids :)

I'm sorry your experience wasn't good. Maybe consider giving it another try in a month when kids are in school. There will be some there, but in my experience it's much calmer.

There is definitely a HUGE difference in sailing a ship like the Freedom, when you have cruised something much smaller ( Inspiration?) previously...

The deck/dining room issue is definitely a design flaw..and not one that can be fixed..you just have to laugh at yourself about it..believe me, we did that A LOT in 2009!!

A plethora of kids is exactly why I don't cruise when there are great numbers of them on board... (and I've got two teens of my own!) Kids being loud and obnoxious,, while irritating as all get out, is unfortunately not a crime, and short of tying the obnoxious teen to the parent, you have to find a way to deal with it.. even if it means complaining to security...

I am really sorry your cruise was so frustrating, and I completely feel for you!!

Just off the Freedom and these are our impressions and opinions, so don't read this if you don't want to hear anything negative re: Carnival.

-This seemed to be the cruise of Long Lines. Starting with check in to the buffet. The buffet area is poorly designed and everyone is on one long line whether you just want cereal or hot breakfast items.

-Large family groups on this cruise, and they seemed to have the outlook that if one family member is on line, that qualifies 10-15 other family members the right to cut the lines. This happened mostly on the buffet but also included getting off the ship.

-Again, very loud groups. If they were up, you were up. Family meetings took place in the hallways anytime of the day or night. In fact, when asked to meet in their rooms and not the hallways, they responded their kids were sleeping. Well, what about my children with you yelling outside my room!

-Food was adequate. Nothing really outstanding.

-Teens out of control. In fact the teen room was closed on occasion because of fights.

-Teens took over the elevators, sitting on the elevator floor, not allowing passengers to get on.

-Small balcony.

-Ship felt cut off. Example, Chic dining room mid ship so you had to remember that when going aft to forward not able to do that on certain decks. Also, pool area seems small due to stadium style seating.

-Upon embarking the ship when in port, no crew member in sight to assist with wheelchairs or handle crowd control. Many people jumped the line, pushing past the civilized people.

-Areas of the ship were taken over by "birthday" parties. One night the lobby was utilized as a private reception for these birthdays. Denying other passengers the use.

-Crew and service was good, but not outstanding.

This is our 2nd cruise with Carnival (out of 26 total) and this cruise was nothing like our first cruise with Carnival. The previous Carnival cruise left from Tampa, and we were impressed with them and therefore did not hesitate to cruise with Carnival again. But, this cruise was nothing like the last cruise. This cruise cost us just as much, if not more than our recent cruises on Royal Carib and Celebrity, yet, we felt that it was a ship out of control and no one seemed to care.

Hopefully it was just that week that had some rotten apples. We don't sail this time of year so fortunately this has not happened to us, but, we have been on the Freedom and had a great time. If the kids were getting to you, they were probably getting to the crew as well.

Lines are just as crazy on Royal Caribbean, especially during the summer months. This is high peak time and when a lot of people travel. I have also seen the same issues with the kids on other lines. Well, except Costa, and that was during January and being 40 something, I was the kid lol.

I'm sorry your trip wasn't that great. Maybe Carnival isn't for you. I like Carnival, for the family because it is a better price option for us. For just my hubby and me, I like Princess or RCL. I can find something great on all lines I have been on. I just keep thinking a bad day on a cruise is still better then the best day at work.

I really have to debate your comment about lines being long on Royal Caribbean. I have sailed that line 16 times, at different times of the year and have sailed on every class ship that Royal has. The only time there was any crowding at all was when the shows let out, and at that it dissapated rapidly. Royal does a wonderful job of crowd control, the lay-outof their ships leads to it being very easy to get around, which is the exact oppisite for Carnival. Passengers don't even have to deal with long lines in the buffet area on Royal because theyhave so many stations. Did you ever sail Royal? Bet I can guess on your reply to that!

I was on the Destiny, and many of the same issues you have I had. Carnival needs to take note from RCCL about buffet lines. I found the buffet to be "always" a line, and all you want is something simple. Takes 30 minutes to get the food, and 5 minutes to eat it.

Also, Carnival might want to reconsider how people get on and off the ship. Stopping every person to have a picture taken on the gangway, holds up the process!!! Have them stand off the dock, and if someone wants a picture, than let the, but stop the bottle necks.

Also, why not add another choice for dining in the MDR...."early seating", "late Seating", "MTD", and "Buffet dining only". It seams more and more, the number of empty seats at tables is increasing. Than at least, maybe increase the MTD seats, and if a "buffet only" person wants to sign up one night, they could. I saw one table everynight that seated 10 with only one couple at it. Every night!

I really have to debate your comment about lines being long on Royal Caribbean. I have sailed that line 16 times, at different times of the year and have sailed on every class ship that Royal has. The only time there was any crowding at all was when the shows let out, and at that it dissapated rapidly. Royal does a wonderful job of crowd control, the lay-outof their ships leads to it being very easy to get around, which is the exact oppisite for Carnival. Passengers don't even have to deal with long lines in the buffet area on Royal because theyhave so many stations. Did you ever sail Royal? Bet I can guess on your reply to that!

I agree 100% about the lines on RCCL. Great job at crowd control.

Cruising during the summer is probably asking for out of control kids .. and they dont seem to be behaving better, and Carnival, true, does not act like kids police, thats supposed to be the parents job.

As far as the deck not going thru on the decks with the galley/dining rooms, that is true of every Carnival ship Iv been on .. so I know this and just go up a deck or down a deck. np.

ive sailed on RCCL and yes the lines was very long for the buffet.....and the pax wasnt friendly at all......so it not just carnival.....im going to try RCCL again nex year......there no luv lost.....its vacation

I have to disagree and say Carnivals lines at the buffet are much worse. Carnival only offers a right and left side to its buffet, the salad bar is generally away from the main buffet as well as the desserts but to get practically all the food you do have to stand either in right or left side of the ships lines to get the food.

RC has mini stations throughout its windjammer buffet. They are divided of salad bar, fruit bar, sandwich bar, hot dogs/burgers & fries station, then there are other stations that contain the hot foods, vegetables and sides and then there is the carving station. They flow where Carnival is only one line for the hot foods.

I have also cruised during summer months and never seen such long lines at the buffet on Rc than what there are on Carnival.

Kids are definately so much out of control on carnival we always see kids running around in hallways, elevators, staircases and such and we really not see this to be a problem on RC, perhaps its because RC offers more things for the kids to do I not sure why....but then I have to say one thing that some of you will comment (again this is an opinion board and I am entitled to my opinion as you all are also) on....I find that on Carnival you get more blue collar workers where on RC you have more white collar workers, maybe this is the reason?????

On both cruise lines I rarely or really never came across any rude passengers....odd but true.

The photo's I agree Carnival does try to stop all passengers and it holds up the line where RC its off to the side a bit so the line keeps flowing.

I have to say RC does a wonderful job at crowd control.

Cruise during sommer =lots of kids,wait untill middle of Sept.

Long lines for buffet,do like we do ,eat early or late,short lines.

Yes two floors were the dinning rooms are you can not get though,you have about 8 other floors to do this.

We never sail June,July ,or August. Not anymore that is,its so much more relaxing in like Oct,Nov,

Regarding the kids in the elevator..I for one would ...in a quite voice state to them.."I'm going to guest services and have them remove you and or have your parents called over the intercom causing them GREAT embarassment on the ship ..So I hope not to see you here again."

Archived