Carnival refuses to refund my money!

stever

thanks mach for the info on the $300 being able to be used in the future if i would have too cancell. i had no idea about this and i really appriciate knowing that now. i learn something new everyday here on cc. ;)

Please take note of the word GUESSING...

Mach does not work for Carnival...tho a REALLY nice guy... he will admit to you he's been wrong in the past!! :)

Please take note of the word GUESSING...

Mach does not work for Carnival...tho a REALLY nice guy... he will admit to you he's been wrong in the past!! :)

oh that word guessing can get us every time :D. i will keep my eye on mach from now on ;) :D

thanks

oh that word guessing can get us every time :D. i will keep my eye on mach from now on ;) :D

thanks

:D Poor guys' takin an unnecessary beatin lately.. too many folks are taking ''well versed" knowledge as gospel......gotta protect our 'interest' here on CC, otherwise, we lose it! :)

The rooms are so small it would be like phish bowling a smoke. I would not wanna smoke it the room and I smoke.

I agree, and I am also a smoker, I need some air, I don't like to be in a closed in space while smoking.

If you are so concerned about $300 why not stop smoking? You will save hundreds times the $300. Not to mention that smokers are a DIEing breed.

HEY! Let's turn this into a "bash the smokers" thread!

There's a fresh new idea. :rolleyes:

:D

If the OP canceled his cruise before the deadline given by Carnival when they changed the policies, I'm with the OP.

There was no caveat given. If you wanted to cancel your cruise because of the smoking policies, you could. They gave a date, not a list of exceptions.

We canceled our Jan 2012, due to the new smoking policy. We checked and double checked before we canceled to make sure it was okay. We did not want to give up our great price and stateroom location. If we couldn't cancel we would just deal with it.

Now here it the catch, Carnival will not refund the $300 since it was used as a deposit from a ES cruise we booked and canceled last year on the Destiny. We checked before we canceled this cruise and they said it was fine. Now we have to use it before 9/2012. We have already made other arrangements for this winter and that is the only time for us to take vacations. I guess I'm out $300. I didn't mind the $100 penalty from the Destiny cruise, since I agreed to it. But, Carnival agreed to letting me cancel this cruise and now they changed their minds.

Sorry just trying to make sense of this thread...

so you cancelled the cruise because of the new smoking policy.. but want to be able to apply the deposit to another Carnival cruise for a winter one... Sorry maybe I'm not getting it.. but won't the smoking policy be the same on the next cruise:confused:

Because of their change in the smoking policy you were allowed to cancel for a full refund if canceled by June 20th,2011 (even for an Early Saver Rate). This was a major topic on these boards back in June. I am surprised you didn't realize that Host Mach

I think the part you are missing is that the early saver deposit came from a previous cruise they had booked and then cancelled and then the deposit was transferred to this cruise. I think that is why they are not getting the deposit back. Different circumstances.

Pat

Sorry just trying to make sense of this thread...

so you cancelled the cruise because of the new smoking policy.. but want to be able to apply the deposit to another Carnival cruise for a winter one... Sorry maybe I'm not getting it.. but won't the smoking policy be the same on the next cruise:confused:

Exactly my thoughts.

I think the part you are missing is that the early saver deposit came from a previous cruise they had booked and then cancelled and then the deposit was transferred to this cruise. I think that is why they are not getting the deposit back. Different circumstances.

Pat

The issue is he says he contacted Carnival several times to see if he could cancel, they said he could. They should have been able to look at his booking to see there was a $150pp non refundable deposit.

It seems they initially told him it was going to be refunded and now they are refusing to refund the $300.

That's why I like to get things like this in writing, someone probably gave him some bad information, because when this change was made lots of misinformation was coming from Carnival reps about cancellations and refunds.

It sounds like the OP doesnt want to ever Cruise Carnival again, thats why he was asking about giving away the $300 dollars.

At least that how Im reading things.

The issue is he says he contacted Carnival several times to see if he could cancel, they said he could. They should have been able to look at his booking to see there was a $150pp non refundable deposit.

It seems they initially told him it was going to be refunded and now they are refusing to refund the $300.

I don't agree. They are "refunding" the $300 deposit the same way he paid it: as a non-refundable ES deposit. It *is* available for him to use on another cruise.

The ES deposit wasn't refundable (as cash) before. Why would it be refundable now? He has the same credit available to him now as if he never booked that second cruise, so what's the problem?

I agree, and I am also a smoker, I need some air, I don't like to be in a closed in space while smoking.

I don't either. Even if I could smoke in my room I wouldn't. I don't do that at home, if me or anyone else wants a smoke we go outside.

I don't agree. They are "refunding" the $300 deposit the same way he paid it: as a non-refundable ES deposit. It *is* available for him to use on another cruise.

The ES deposit wasn't refundable (as cash) before. Why would it be refundable now? He has the same credit available to him now as if he never booked that second cruise, so what's the problem?

i don't necessarily agree. it shouldn't matter how the depsit was paid if they changed their policy, and offered refunds stipulating a date of action, without conditions. an exception should be made for this condition.

btw, i was a stupid smoker in the 80's who used to smoke in the middle of the night for bathroom breaks. i'd have hated to support that habit by making my way to a smoking area at that time of the night to satisfy that addiction. would i have cancelled my cruise for it?

i'm glad it's no longer part of my life's equation.

I don't understand the whole canceling thing due to a change of smoking policy. As a smoker myself, I would never consider smoking inside my cabin either and finding a legal smoking area is not a huge deal. The OP might want to consider going the E-Cig route...the other alternative is to quit cruising as most of the lines are getting restrictive.

We canceled our Jan 2012, due to the new smoking policy. We checked and double checked before we canceled to make sure it was okay. We did not want to give up our great price and stateroom location. If we couldn't cancel we would just deal with it.

Now here it the catch, Carnival will not refund the $300 since it was used as a deposit from a ES cruise we booked and canceled last year on the Destiny. We checked before we canceled this cruise and they said it was fine. Now we have to use it before 9/2012. We have already made other arrangements for this winter and that is the only time for us to take vacations. I guess I'm out $300. I didn't mind the $100 penalty from the Destiny cruise, since I agreed to it. But, Carnival agreed to letting me cancel this cruise and now they changed their minds.

Sorry they will not refund your money for whatever reason , but I will say this , while I smoke , I will still cruise , I love it !! --- Now I have at times stated that I would do other things as I feel they are infringing a bit , But I have re-thought that . I hope you are able to get this taken care of to your satisfaction .

We werent on the phone with the OP to know what Carnival said. Maybe they told him the all the money he paid would be refunded, maybe they gave him incorrect information, maybe the OP misunderstood them...

I don't understand the whole canceling thing due to a change of smoking policy. As a smoker myself, I would never consider smoking inside my cabin either and finding a legal smoking area is not a huge deal. The OP might want to consider going the E-Cig route...the other alternative is to quit cruising as most of the lines are getting restrictive.

there are people that still smoke in their cars, houses, in front of their children, and even their cabins.

what you do or understand is irrelavant to the op.

btw, i was a stupid smoker in the 80's who used to smoke in the middle of the night for bathroom breaks. i'd have hated to support that habit by making my way to a smoking area at that time of the night to satisfy that addiction. would i have cancelled my cruise for it?

i'm glad it's no longer part of my life's equation.

What you did or might have done is irrelavant to the OP. :D

NCL just made a change today, no smoking in cabins..no cigars or pipes on balconies.I know those that smoked in their cabins cancelled carnival cruises and booked with NCL

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4570

If you are so concerned about $300 why not stop smoking? You will save hundreds times the $300. Not to mention that smokers are a DIEing breed.

It's comments like this that are just unecessary. The OP is not asking for your opinion on smoking, he is asking for advice regarding a deposit he made that he was told would be refunded....and then was told that it was non-refundable.

Archived