Your advice needed....to go or not to go...

Murphey

We have an opportunity to take a b2b to Alaska on the Dawn commencing on 5/16. We can drive to the port, so finding air at the last minute is not the issue. The issue is we have an inside cabin going north and OV southbound. We have been on many cruises, but never in an inside. The price for the whole thing is attractive to us, but of course, no balcony! :eek: We are considering this because 1)the knowledge of a cruise in less than 8 weeks is very cool, 2) the price is nice. But....are we going to get on that ship and think, why did we do this???? Or, is any cruise better than no cruise????:D This won't be our first trip to Alaksa. I know my TA said there is always an upgrade possibility, but in all honesty, at this late date, I would not book with that in mind. Just would like some of your thoughts on this conundrum.....

Guest Host Tink

I think you should definitely go, if you can afford it. If you have cruised before, then an inside cabin won't feel as clausterphobic as it might if you have never cruised before. You can spend a lot of time outside to make up for what you don't see in your cabin.

Go! Go! Go!:D

We've sailed twice to Alaska in OV rooms, one time obstructed, and we rarely spent time in our room other than naps. There are plenty of open decks you can go sit on if you want to be outside to watch the scenery go by. I would happily trade a balcony for an extra week of cruising, but then, I'm not all that claustrophobic, so an inside cabin wouldn't bother me in the first place.

Considering that one of the weeks is inside and the other OV go for it. Like everyone said there is lots of place to be outside, you got it at a good price so pack your bags and go.

Marilyn

:D :D :D Okay everyone....I think I already knew the answer. I needed to be pushed over the edge!! It's just hard to actually commit and plunk down the $$$, even though it's a good deal, it's still a chunk of change. We all have our own parameters to what a "good deal" is, and it fit ours. I believe I was feeling guilty because we have already booked a b2b in the fall and I think I am getting a wee bit obssessed with cruising. But, my dear friends, you have successfully pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad thing :D!! Thanks for your input.....

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah so, you actually think anyone that spends time here would say NO!

I have a pretty good idea of the prices on this cruise on if we were not all booked and paid for.......................

We had a balcony on the first Alaska trip. We spent 95% of our time out on deck, the panoramic beauty is so outstanding....well you know that, you have been there. Have a great time......:D

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah so, you actually think anyone that spends time here would say NO!

I have a pretty good idea of the prices on this cruise on if we were not all booked and paid for.......................

We had a balcony on the first Alaska trip. We spent 95% of our time out on deck, the panoramic beauty is so outstanding....well you know that, you have been there. Have a great time......:D

LOL So true!!!!! OHMIGOD!!! I'm going on a cruise in less than 2 months.....I'm off to find our roll call(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Hey Murph! It's me, Alicia! We sailed together last November on the Star Caribbean B2B! How are you? This sounds awesome! I say go for it! Cruise obssessed, huh? I can't think of anything better to be obssessed about!:D Enjoy!

Go for it. I'm on a B2B on the Sun May 7 and 16 and have an inside for both weeks. No real upgrade yet but at least have the same cabin both weeks and have quick access to the forward open decks.

These will be #10 and 11 to Alaska. I've done 4 with outside cabins, 2 with obstructed and after this cruise will have a total of 5 inside. Most of my time is spent on deck and I'd much rather do a B2B than have a better cabin for one week.

(FYI my overall totals are 14 inside, 9 outside, 5 obstructed and 1 balcony)

Doug

LOL So true!!!!! OHMIGOD!!! I'm going on a cruise in less than 2 months.....I'm off to find our roll call(s)

Good choice!!

I think I may try to talk my DH into moving closer to a port so we can take advantage of opportunities like this!! :D

Hey Murph! It's me, Alicia! We sailed together last November on the Star Caribbean B2B! How are you? This sounds awesome! I say go for it! Cruise obssessed, huh? I can't think of anything better to be obssessed about!:D Enjoy!

Alicia!! Hi ya gal! Nice to hear from you. We're going on the Sun this fall...maybe we should try to resurrect our old roll call and see if anyone wants to come!

Yes, everyone, you definately made me feel better.....now I'm obsessed about checking the personalizer for my cabin assignments.......me thinks me otta "get a life"!!!!! :) :)

We used to go inside, no more, while the price was right, we were not happy. In my opinion a port side balcony is a 'must' when going to Alaska! On the open deck you will get cold, move and you loose your place. With a balcony there is less wind, T.V. on with sound up, you will hear all that the ranger has to say, and, if you do get cold, step inside for a few minutes, no one will steal your spot. Four cruises to Alaska! all the best. :) john

We're booked on the 11/5/05 Diamond to Mexico, again. It's an a special art connoisseur cruise we just couldn't pass up. Especially since LA is so convenient for us! As soon as prices are available, I think we are going to book the Grand Mediterranean for May '06. Where 'bouts is the Sun heading? It would be fun to try to get everyone together again!

I’m a bit claustrophobic, but even I’d jump on this one. Dawn Princess is a brilliant ship.

LOL ... if I had to sleep in the brig to take a cruise, I'd do it. :)

Seriously, Alaska is pretty port-intensive anyway, so the lack of a balcony is not going to be that great of an inconvenience. And, as others have stated, there are plenty of open decks from which to enjoy the view.

I always book inside cabins (I travel solo and ... besides ... I'm cheap) :) ... the lack of a balcony has never bothered me. I'd rather be on deck enjoying the view with others anyway.

I vote go ... and enjoy!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Although I appreciate Mr Green's comments, I think it came down to doing the inside or not going at all. A consolation is that we do have a OV on the return trip. Last year we did Alaska on HAL and yes, we had a balcony. But we had an unbelievable deal...2 weeks in a mini suite...and we ended up in an aft mini with an almost wraparound deck. Yes, we spent a great deal of time out there on the lounge chairs, I would have never believed a balcony in Alaska would be so well used. But since a mini on the Dawn was totally out of the question, we decided the extra $$$ will be better spent splurging on some shore excursions we didn't do last year (i.e. helicopter!!). It was a huge difference in price, for just the regular balcony....no lounging around on the deck!!:D

Alicia: Have a great time in Mexico...we looked at the 10 day this fall, but decided to do the 10 day b2b on the Sun......eastern, then southern itinerary. Similar to what we did with you on the Star, same ship, two itineraries. You can see why, committing to 4 cruises in one year......I guess we can "suffer" with an inside for one of them!!! Going on the cheap on all the cruises so we can "go" more!!!!!

Archived