RCI Mariner of the Seas to Western Carribean, anyone?

My husband & I just spent a 7 day cruise to Alaska with Holland America (HAL) recently and we loved it! It was our first cruise and we couldn't find anything that we didn't like about the cruise. The ship, the food, the crew, etc, they were all great. We liked it so much that we want to book another cruise later this year in December.

We live in Texas and want to take another cruise that leaves from Galveston, TX so we don't have to fly. After some research, we found a 7-day Royal Caribbean cruise (Mariner of the Seas) that will go to Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Jamaica). Anyone has taken this cruise before? Just want to hear from some of you. We read some forums/critics posted by others (same ship, but the same itinerary) and saw quite a few that were disappointed with the food quality, etc. We don't want to be disappointed after our great experience with HAL in Alaska. Thanks!

My husband & I just spent a 7 day cruise to Alaska with Holland America (HAL) recently and we loved it! It was our first cruise and we couldn't find anything that we didn't like about the cruise. The ship, the food, the crew, etc, they were all great. We liked it so much that we want to book another cruise later this year in December.

We live in Texas and want to take another cruise that leaves from Galveston, TX so we don't have to fly. After some research, we found a 7-day Royal Caribbean cruise (Mariner of the Seas) that will go to Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Jamaica). Anyone has taken this cruise before? Just want to hear from some of you. We read some forums/critics posted by others (same ship, but the same itinerary) and saw quite a few that were disappointed with the food quality, etc. We don't want to be disappointed after our great experience with HAL in Alaska. Thanks!

Being homeported in Galveston will be new for the Mariner. She hasn't started that run yet.

The Mariner is a wonderful ship, and it is a very good itinerary. I think that you will enjoy this cruise. Just expect a livelier cruise than you had on HAL. ;)

The Mariner is a beautiful ship, if you liked hal you will love the Mariner!!!

Mariner is taking over what Voyager ran over the past years. The first cruise they do is a special 9 night deal...see if memory serves correctly all of the ports they call upon in their normal 2 weekly rotation between Central America and Jamaica. (Maybe they skip Falmouth on the 9 nighter...)

Either weekly run is full of fun...driving to the port is lovely...or should I say driving an hour to the port...I drove to Port Everglades and that took a few hours (19).

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Mariner for Jan.15 2012. We are going to be with a party of 10 guests.So we will have a big table together at the early seating.This will be the second cruise with the same families.Also the fourth cruise with two other couples.Looking forward to having a great time

We just recently returned from our first HAL cruise, after 5 RC cruises. We found HAL to have MUCH older passengers, and much less to do onboard. You will find RC to have a more diverse crowd as far as age and nationalities, a much better selection of activities, and an all around better ship. We've been on the Mariner twice (though not out of Galveston), and have been on your same itinerary. Cozumel and Grand Caymen are very easy to do on your own, so don't spend extra money on ship excursions, just remember that GC can have a time difference. Jamaica can be a good port to stay onboard exploring the amazing ship, or book a ship excursion here. Food is good on both lines, but is much more easily accessible on RC. You will find longer lines at the buffet, but much better organization and flow than on HAL. Don't miss the great snacks at the Promenade Cafe. We also love Chops for an extra special meal. RC just has the best ships hands down. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I think you will be very happy with the Mariner of the Seas. She is a beautiful ship, and in the past we have completed all of the ports of call save for Falmouth, Jamaca. Falmouth was built for the Oasis class ships a year ago, and I have read both positive and negative reviews on that port.

As someone else mentioned, you will find Royal Caribbean to be a bit more upbeat than Holland America. We have travelled on both, and in our mid 60's prefer Royal Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise!!:)

Rick

I cannot imagine being disappointed with the food on one of Royal Carribean cruises. We have taken two others and are booked for 12-11-11 from Galveston and can hardly wait....COME JOIN US ! We have a Meet and Mingle Roll Call going and it has met its minimum so this will definetly happen.

Where in Texas do you live? We live in Hurst, in the DFW metroplex area. Hope to hear from you soon.

Archived