Oasis vs. Navigator

Hi Everyone,

Considering a surprise 50th birthday cruise for DH on 3/31/12. DGS, 5 at the time of sailing, will be sharing our cabin and DD (28) and a friend will be in another cabin. We usually cruise Celebrity but think RCCL will be a better fit for our group. I've narrowed the slim choices down to two sailings, 8 nights on the Navigator vs. 7 nights on the Oasis, with the Oasis considerably more expensive. I like the port choices on the Navigator better but I'm concerned about the age and condition of the ship. I like the idea of a newer ship with the Oasis but I'm concerned about the size and from what little I've read it seems one needs to plan ahead and book shows etc. So the question is, go with a nolder ship, 8 nights, less expensive or a newer ship, 7nights but possibly just toooo big. Would love thoughts from those who've been on both.

Thanks so much in advance!!

I've been on Navigator and Allure. Just curious what are the port choices for Navigator? I won't try to influence you too much, but with 4 people if there is a cost savings then x4 that must be significant. In '09 I thought Navigator still looked very nice and I enjoy the Voyager class ships. Maybe you can save Oasis for when its just the two of you.

Hi Billo,

The Navigator is:

Fort Lauderdale, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Basseterre, San Juan/Puerto Rico, Labadi/Labadee, Fort Lauderdale and

The Oasis is:

Fort Lauderdale, Labadi/Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel, Fort Lauderdale

The Oasis is $600. more for one less night.

I really appreciate your thoughts!

I agree with Bill. Was on the Navigator 1.5 years ago, and was a great cruise. We did 10 nights in the Western Caribbean (2-5 night B2B). Will be on the Oasis and Allure in October. What type of vacation are you looking for as a group?

The $600. difference could buy you several excursions, and you would have 1 extra day to be on the ship together and enjoy your vacation. The Voyager class ships have lots to offer with their entertainment and activities to do on the ship.

Have a great cruise with whatever you decide!

Have not been on the Navigator but sailed on the Oasis 7/23.Too big,too much.The boardwalk has a lot of mixed up venues,there is a charge for ice cream,Johnny Rockets and some dining but not for doughnuts, so you never know.Most of the childrens activities are on deck 16,very crowded pools but it was in July.Nothing is close together, you walk,walk,walk. We are glad we went,saw the ship but wouldn't do it again. There are just the 2 of us so meeting others was not a problem but you would need a game plan to keep a group together. There is something out there for everyone and this is just our opinion.Have fun with your family.

have sailed both of these ships. depending on your cabin selection some may be a bit smaller on the oasis then the navigator such as the D1-D8 cats. balc on D5 is larger, not the cabin.dont know about theother cabin cats.. with your group including the 5 yr old there will be plenty to do.DGS will enjoy either one. maybe a smaller will be more comfortable for him. for just the 2 of you i would choose the oasis. an experience to be experienced. conditions of both ships are to say "ship- shape". very well maintained. save $600.00, take navigator and now you have $600.00 towards the oasis in ther future.

We have sailed both ships.

We considered the Navigator a bit worn when we cruised her last December. Nothing bad just showing some wear. That being said we are heading back this December. In my opinion the ports are 1000% better.

We love the Oasis and do not find it to big or think there is to much walking. Loads to see and do. Not our favorite ports.

If you are looking for the wow factor the Oasis is the ship. If you are looking to save $$ with better ports then it is the Navigator.

Either way ...enjoy!

Loved Oasis. Love Voyager class.

But, money and an extra night talks. I'd go with the Navigator.

However, I would mention that the options for children on the Oasis is pretty impressive. With the Dreamworks experience (which was added after we sailed) and the expanded kids areas, I would be remiss not to mention it as part of your consideration.;) The Navigator won't have the Flowrider or Splash Zone.

We were on Navigator in June (Eastern Med) and found it to be in great shape. Even at full capacity, it never seemed crowded except one mid afternoon when everyone returned from port at the same time and headed for WJ. Still OK, we just had to share a table.

Thanks to all that responded. I'm leaning towards the Navigator, I think the size of the ship will be more managable for us with a 5 year old. The Dreamworks on the Oasis would certainly appeal to my little guy though.

I can't believe the cost of airfare! We typically vaction off season so not used to the Easter/spring break prices! I'm holding out for Southwest and their prices before we make a decision. I was hoping for a low cost trip due to our big trip to the Med in Oct 2012 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen!

Thanks again to all!

Thanks to all that responded. I'm leaning towards the Navigator, I think the size of the ship will be more managable for us with a 5 year old. The Dreamworks on the Oasis would certainly appeal to my little guy though.

I can't believe the cost of airfare! We typically vaction off season so not used to the Easter/spring break prices! I'm holding out for Southwest and their prices before we make a decision. I was hoping for a low cost trip due to our big trip to the Med in Oct 2012 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen!

Thanks again to all!

I am cruising Navigator in February during Northeast school vacation. I waited for JetBlue and Southwest airfares. I wished I booked earlier. JB and SW direct flights are typically running $750 pp and there was a time I could have booked connecting flights for $286 pp. I waited too long. I ended up booking American connecting flights for $419 pp and the connections are terrible.

I cruised Oasis last year and the ship is FABULOUS! However, I am looking forward to the Navigator next and the extra night and the better itinerary. If you choose Navigator this time, be sure to try the Oasis or Allure at a later date :D

Been on both ships....the overall size of just about every cabin class is bigger on the Nav. of the Seas. You will have a fantastic experience on both of these fine ships.

It most likely boils down to Price, itin, 8 days vs 7 days. Considering this I would take the Nav of the Seas

Been on both ships. The oasis only once and it was an experience. It can only go to a few ports due to size. It has 20 plus restaurants and most of the venues have to be booked in advance. If you wait until you board to book entertainment you may be disappointed. At least that was our experience when we sailed on her the first month.

My choice though would be the Navigator. We have sailed on her at least 10 times. Matter of fact just booked four cruises on her back to back as she returns from her erronious Rome adventure.( Mediterrainean, trans Atlantic then a couple of carribean). We love her, the ports in the Carribean are more interesting, less people, larger staterooms( balcony and above) and less money. Believe me, you will love her. Yes she is older but last I sailed ( 3 times this past winter) she was in fine condition for us. I hope Carlos is back in the concierge. Have fun

Just got off the Oasis. I really liked the ship and did not find the size overwhelming, nor did I feel the presence of 6000 passengers.

But as you can see by my sig., I love the Navigator. It looked fine in January to me.

I would choose the Navigator, based solely on the ports. The cost savings - and the only thing I didn't believe justified was just how expensive my Oasis cruise was - would be a definite added bonus.

But I do recommend trying the Oasis/Allure someday!

I just re-read my post and I did not make sense.

The price of the Oasis is higher, a little too much higher in my opinion. However, I wanted to sail on the Oasis, and the rates are what they are. So I paid it! And I am absolutely happy I bit the bullet, forked over the extra cash, and sailed on the Oasis. For me, it truly is a magnificent ship and I strongly recommend sailing on her at least once.

Now that I have sailed on her though, if the choices include Voyager/Freedom class or Oasis class, I will look at ports first, then cost next. I will be very happy on any of these ships for my next sailing.

Actually, my top priority is the ship must have Vintages !!

I appreciate all the responses. I booked the Navigator yesterday. Hoping an aft opens up but for now I booked a mid ship junior suite but would be very happy with a B1 aft.

I decided this ship would be best for our grandson who will be 5 years old. I'm hoping by the time the prices come down on the Oasis/Allure in a couple years our grandson will be old enough to enjoy all these ships have to offer.

Thanks again!

Archived