Cat. CA/Maasdam

kirin

I am thinking of booking a CA on Maasdam for 45 nights (FL-Europe-FL). I've tried to find the previous thread about these cabins, but to no avail.

If anyone has recent experience in a CA (especially on Maasdam) and can shed some light on the experience (especially re use of the deck chairs just outside the cabin) and offer any feedback/comments as to the cabin type, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Kate

A lanai cabin is essentially an outside cabin that's been converted to one with a door, instead of a window.

It started life smaller than the outside cabins on other decks. When it was converted, the furniture was rearranged, making it feel a little tighter still. There's a narrow walkway between the end of the bed and the desk, which you must pass to get to the loveseat and the door to the promenade.

There are no drawers in the desk; six were eliminated, making storage a bit tight. There is adequate closet space.

There are two loungers outside the door reserved for the use of the lanai cabin occupants.

I am thinking of booking a CA on Maasdam for 45 nights (FL-Europe-FL). I've tried to find the previous thread about these cabins, but to no avail.

If anyone has recent experience in a CA (especially on Maasdam) and can shed some light on the experience (especially re use of the deck chairs just outside the cabin) and offer any feedback/comments as to the cabin type, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Kate

No pictures for Maasdam, but here's some on Rotterdam:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/05/rotterdam-lanai-staterooms.html

and Veendam

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/06/more-views-of-veendam-lanai-rooms-cat.html

A lanai cabin is essentially an outside cabin that's been converted to one with a door, instead of a window.

It started life smaller than the outside cabins on other decks. When it was converted, the furniture was rearranged, making it feel a little tighter still. There's a narrow walkway between the end of the bed and the desk, which you must pass to get to the loveseat and the door to the promenade.

There are no drawers in the desk; six were eliminated, making storage a bit tight. There is adequate closet space.

There are two loungers outside the door reserved for the use of the lanai cabin occupants.

On the contrary, I find the feeling to be more spacious... especially down by the glass door where the room "opens up" both literally and figuratively.

On the contrary, I find the feeling to be more spacious... especially down by the glass door where the room "opens up" both literally and figuratively.

The opened up area, as you call it, is the same size it always was. It has just been moved from the center of the room to the end. The light from the vast glass area may give the perception of increased size as the eye continues out past the barrier.

The area at the foot of the bed is much, much tighter than it was when the bed was set against the wall.

All true, but the full wall mirror over the bed greatly enhances the way the room feels. Having the direct sliding glass deck door is a great advantage. When the deck chairs are not in use, just fold up the foot rests, that exposes the sign that reads "Reserved". I had a Lanai on the Veendam and enjoyed every minute of it on a 45 night cruise.

Thank you everyone for the information and your feedback. I've also checked out the Lanai Cabins thread that is up and running and have decided a CA is exactly what I want.

Thanks again for taking the time to post,

Kate

Archived