Child Control

tntortiz8809

No, they do not have equal rights because they are children. Then cannot drink, gamble and are restricted from certain areas. As a parent, I realized that and kept my daughter out of places that she has no business being at.

Equals rights is substantially different than equal access. Of course they don't have ACCESS to those places...it's illegal. And, "as a parent", you didn't have a choice if your kids could go in those places or not. Outside of that, it's each parents decision of what they will, or will not, allow their kids to participate in and do. However, they most certainly DO have equal rights, whether you like it or not.

Equals rights is substantially different than equal access. Of course they don't have ACCESS to those places...it's illegal. And, "as a parent", you didn't have a choice if your kids could go in those places or not. Outside of that, it's each parents decision of what they will, or will not, allow their kids to participate in and do. However, they most certainly DO have equal rights, whether you like it or not.

Actually, not quite. Minors do not have the right to a jury trial ;) They are also not eligible for the death penalty even if they are charged/convicted as adults. Of course, I don't think splashing in a hot tub would result in such draconian punishment :D

Note I said that RCCL restricts them after a certain time. I think that the reservation has to be up to 7:00, but I could be wrong about the exact time. They still allow children anytime in the restaurants before that. That way people who wish to dine without the presence of smaller children can make a later reservation.

That may be a fair trade off :)

Actually, not quite. Minors do not have the right to a jury trial ;) They are also not eligible for the death penalty even if they are charged/convicted as adults. Of course, I don't think splashing in a hot tub would result in such draconian punishment :D

They actually DO have the right to a jury trial in certain states. Kansas most notably. And yeah...I don't think splashing in a hot tub qualifies, either! :D (but, it sounds like some of the other CC'ers might! :eek:)

They actually DO have the right to a jury trial in certain states. Kansas most notably. And yeah...I don't think splashing in a hot tub qualifies, either! :D (but, it sounds like some of the other CC'ers might! :eek:)

lol. I was wondering when this would come up. Splashing in a hot tub isn't a Constitutional right, is it? grin. The things people are talking about on this forum as "rights", aren't. Our protected "rights" are actually a fairly limited number of things and kids don't generally share those protections until they reach the age of majority. Children do have equal rights to not suffer discrimination based upon the protected classes of race, religion and gender, but other than that the list is pretty short.

We live in an age where adult Americans talk about "rights" that simply don't exist. You often see people talking about their right to not have to put up with someone who is offensive or acting in an offensive way. That is imaginary entitlement, not a right.

Some on this thread are saying if they don't like the kids in the pool & spas, then go to the adult area, that would be great BUT there are parents who think their kids have the right to be in the adult (21 & over) area also because "it's their vacation also.

this is from a thread on the front page right now:

"On the Ecstasy in May the Serenity area was packed during the day and they did check after several people complained that the seats were taken by those underage. I saw them ask several people to leave. Some teens were there with their parents and the parents got into it with the attendent. He called Security. It was not pretty, nor was it serene with the parents cursing out Security. Best not to put yourself in that situation. There are plenty of other quiet areas."

this is clearly parents teaching the children that the rules do not apply to them, when in real life there are rules that must be followed.

disclosure...(this post does not reflect on one certain persons rely or comment.)

Well, I certainly disagree with you and that is my right.

i love the cool folk who, against the rules, think it's ok to bring their drinks into the hot tub. and watch the "people soup" spit into their drinks. i had to walk aways while typing this just thinking about it.

While that is gross, it's not against the rules...the rules say no eating or smoking in the hot tub and no glass containers.

The parents might think their kids have the right to only go in the adult only section but they'd be wrong. I'm looking forward to a few kid free moments and I'll be getting them!

Me too...same cruise. My kids will be spending some time in the club, so mama can pop on down to the serenity deck for some 'people soup'...it's gonna be chilly in Canada.

The movies and TV shows kids watch are full of boorish behavior and people seem surprised when kids act boorishly.

only if you let them watch the boorish stuff they put out today.

we grab the channel changer and put on burns and allen, the banana splits, or the munsters.

One thing that I have found effective about kids that don't behave is to go and explain to the parent that if they won't disciplne that you would be happy to. A little humiliation of mom & dad go along way in public, because at this time most other people will have found the little one annoying also.

I was raised to respect adults so were my kids and my granddaughter is learning this also.:p

I have found that children who act out and are rude are mirroring their parents behavior. When you call security or ask the parent to deal with their child, they turn and attck you not their child. Some will spend the rest of their cruise seeking you out to harass you. I had a problem with two women who had snuck their children into the Spa to play in the Thalasso whirlpool. They were jumping in and splashing me I told them children were not allowed and that they were splashing. They defence was the pools were too crowded for them to play. I went to the Spa manager and reported them. They knew they had done it and had previously asked them to leave. These people harassed me the whole trip. Carnvial is not going to fight your battles and some people are just crazy. Walk away it is a losing battle, they are not going to morph into well behaved children or responsible parents.

I have found that children who act out and are rude are mirroring their parents behavior. When you call security or ask the parent to deal with their child, they turn and attck you not their child. Some will spend the rest of their cruise seeking you out to harass you. I had a problem with two women who had snuck their children into the Spa to play in the Thalasso whirlpool. They were jumping in and splashing me I told them children were not allowed and that they were splashing. They defence was the pools were too crowded for them to play. I went to the Spa manager and reported them. They knew they had done it and had previously asked them to leave. These people harassed me the whole trip. Carnvial is not going to fight your battles and some people are just crazy. Walk away it is a losing battle, they are not going to morph into well behaved children or responsible parents.

Sadly, this happens more often than not. What also tends to happen is that if the ships crew intervenes, they usually get berated from the parents as well. I can see why they are leery of addressing some situations. It is very sad.

None of the people whose children misbehave post on Cruise Critic. Everyone here parents children with halos. :D

This is the BEST post!!!! " my kids doesn't misbehave" "the drunks are worse" "We paid, therefore we are ENTITLED" "who are you to tell us what to do?" My opinion, take them on Disney.

Me too,I just want to reiterate.They are not salt water.Maybe you had an overly salty lunch before the tub.Now the spa might be.

No. You have it backwards. The spa tubs, I believe, are fresh water. All the rest are salt water.

WOW you would think this was a smoking thread! LOL...

Ok SOME hot tubs onboard are "family" hot tubs, usually in the main pool area but others have signs that state "18 years or older"... and the serenity area is 21 and over. So main pool area let the kids jump in, eat hot dogs (seen it), splash their parents (and whoever is around), etc. BUT please keep them out of the other hot tubs. And yes on most Carnival ships the hot tubs are salt water also.

I seem to get in hot tubs that the kids try and take over and want to go diving to the bottom - a lot of splashing water on me - sometimes swimming back up and hitting us w/legs/arms etc. They definately need to be supervised and can ruin a relaxing time.

My experience on the freedom was the hot tubs were not salt water. They had 3 “family” hot tubs, 2 21+ on the serenity deck and 2 adults only in the aft pool area. The hot tubs are not very hot, but are warmer than the swimming pools which are not heated at all. This means that the “family” hot tubs were often used as heated kiddie pools. The serenity hot tubs were usually full of partying twenty-somethings. The Aft pool and hot tubs is where I spent the majority of my on-board time.

I only had one bad child related experience the entire week, and it was in the Lido hot tub – so I know that I could have moved to the adult area at any time. I joined my husband in the Lido area, where he was enjoying the music with new friends. I went into one of the hot tubs where there were 4 adults, and two children 5-6 yo girl, who were not with any of the soaking adults. The Kids were jumping (cannonballs) and splashing and annoying the adults. After I explained to them that this wasn’t a swimming pool, the boy left but the little girl seemed to enjoy annoying the adults. When I again told her that her behavior belonged in the swimming pool, not the hot tub, she mocked me “this is not a swimming pool” and then splashed water in my face. In my calm but scary “don’t F with me” voice, I invited her to “Do that again. Go ahead. Splash me one more time.” She thought about it for about 10 seconds, then left. I saw her later that evening with a woman I assumed was her mother, who gave me a very nasty look.

Again, I know that I could have left for the Adults only area to avoid this annoyance. But the bigger issue to me was, who lets a little 5 year old girl, unsupervised, into a hot tub full of strangers (many of whom were drinking)?

OK- I'm curious. The kid takes up your dare and splashes you again.

What exactly were you going to do about it?

I also noticed that children took over the hot tubs (and swimming pool) during the cruise. We had to go to the adults area to enjoy the hot tub, didn't mind that. However, a good number of them where running around in the hallways, in the dining area, and it was a bit annoying. From what I have read, it is worse during the summer months. I will likely avoid cruising during the summer.

I haven't cruised nearly as many times as most members of CC. I cruised once as a child, and my only Carnival Experience in '05. Reading some threads it seems like the lido pools are completely out of control with children in the hot tubs and jumping off the ledges on to each other.

When I sailed as a child, my parents would absolutely not let me go into the hot tubes. They believed that just because we were on vacation, didn't mean we could be rude to others on vacation. They also knew if they allowed my sister and I into the hot tubs, we'd probably horseplay and become nuisances to others. On my '05 cruise, the hot tubs were packed with kids but not out of control.

I'm a parent of 3, my wife and I are going by ourselves as it's DW's first ever cruise in Jan. We're also looking to book thru Carnival for the entire family for next summer. I, like my parents will not allow our children into the hot tub. I think there are plenty of other activities on board for them and I know they would not act accordingly.

My question is to the parents who allow their kids into the hot tub and allow their kids to horseplay around the hot tubs. Why? I know you're on vacation, but shouldn't there be some level of consideration for the adult guests who would like to relax? CC obviously does not police this much, but shouldn't this fall on the parents? Sorry for the rant, just as a parent I will not allow my children to be inconsiderate of others whether we're on vacation or not....just not sure why other parents think it's okay...

Because some parents have ZERO common sense. I think people should have to pass a test to be able to breed.

Most ships do have a "serenity" area which is adult only and has hot tubs with no kids allowed. Also if you cruise in the school season/ fall-winter there are many less kids all over the ship. However, summer and spring break the pools/hottubs- at least the main ones will be filled with kids. At least that's my experience.

Archived