Debit Cards..Can they be used at Registration?

wizard-of-roz

Hi wizard of roz

Princess takes debit cards with the mastercard/ visa sign on them,

can not say if they knew they were debit cards rather than credit cards,

not sure what they would do with a bank card that did not have logos

may be better to give Princess a call just to be safe.

yours Shogun

We used ours on our last cruise, they don't like you too but you can. Just be careful and make sure everything is correct. If you check your account on line, there may be some extra costs that were included in your final bill. These showed on our account for several days before they finally dropped off. Otherwise we had no problems.

One difference between Debit and Credit cards is that the initial authorization will be taken out of your account and held unavailable until either the charge processes or a period of time passes (varies by bank). That amount can be substantial and may affect cash flow (I think the initial hold for a 7 day cruise is $500).

Thanks all for the information given. Her card has the MasterCard logo on it.

I also told her to call Princess directly and ask the question to make sure that she's not embarressed at registration.

Can you imagine getting to your cruise and not being able to board because they don't take your Debit Card.

I've always used my Visa debit card on my cruises. I've never had a problem with a hold being placed on my card; fortunately I've had a relatively small balance left to be charged against my card at the end of a cruise.

Your friend won't have a problem at all.:D

One difference between Debit and Credit cards is that the initial authorization will be taken out of your account and held unavailable until either the charge processes or a period of time passes (varies by bank). That amount can be substantial and may affect cash flow (I think the initial hold for a 7 day cruise is $500).

I use my debit card all the time and Princess has never done that to me. Also, I don't tell them it is a debit card so when they swipe it they may think it is a credit card.

I asked her if I could see her card and sure enough it says "Debit Card" right above the MasterCard symbol. So, the cruiselines would, in fact, see very clearly that it was a debit card.

Again, thanks everyone. Love these boards.......can I ask some marital questions? Just kidding!!! :rolleyes:

Like several of the others, I too have used a debit card. I used one on my last cruise, and Princess did not place a hold on funds on my checking account.

They will also allow a person to board without showing any card at all, with the understanding that the passenger will place a cash deposit at Passenger Services, against which a person may use their card for onboard purchases. The requested deposit for our 7 day cruise was $300.

I asked her if I could see her card and sure enough it says "Debit Card" right above the MasterCard symbol. So, the cruiselines would, in fact, see very clearly that it was a debit card.

This assumes that the check-in clerk even bothers to look at the card other than to see it is in the correct positio0n for swiping.

I've been using my debit card for several years on cruises and have never encountered a hold or a pre authorization. Typically what happens is on the 3rd or 4th day a charge appears from my checking for charges to date. On disembarkation day the remaining balance is charged.

Thanks all for the information given. Her card has the MasterCard logo on it.

I also told her to call Princess directly and ask the question to make sure that she's not embarressed at registration.

Can you imagine getting to your cruise and not being able to board because they don't take your Debit Card.

They will definitely take a debit card. No questions asked. I've used them as have people I've traveled with. No one ever felt like "they (Princess) didn't like to do it" Of course, when the run the card if there wasn't enough room on it they would mind but that's the same for a debit or credit card. I never had any amount like $500.00 held on my account. I believe it's about $300.00. When I or anyone I've traveled with have used a debit card we have always made sure there were enough funds to cover our expenses for the cruise and a bit of a leeway should there be any "holding funds" issues.

They will definitely take a debit card. No questions asked. I've used them as have people I've traveled with. No one ever felt like "they (Princess) didn't like to do it" Of course, when the run the card if there wasn't enough room on it they would mind but that's the same for a debit or credit card. I never had any amount like $500.00 held on my account. I believe it's about $300.00. When I or anyone I've traveled with have used a debit card we have always made sure there were enough funds to cover our expenses for the cruise and a bit of a leeway should there be any "holding funds" issues.

Good informaton, thanks.

I did some checking. Apparently if you have a number of pre-charges (like pre-booked excursions) on your bill they may run a hold, otherwise they do an auth only will will normally not reduce available funds or will just hold a few dollars depending on how your bank processes them.

Archived