Advice Needed! Trying to decide between ships!

airlinerob

Hi Cruise Critic Friends!

I'm trying to decide between a few different cruises and I need your advice. Having not been on Carnival for 16 years (and trying it again after being faithful to RCCL and NCL), I want to make sure my return to Carnival is the best it can be.

Here is what I have it narrowed down to (and it's all based on cost):

- Carnival Freedom - 6 nights (inside - CAT 4F) Western Caribbean

- Carnival Victory - 7 nights (inside guarantee) Southern Caribbean

- Carnival Liberty - 7 nights (inside guarantee) Western Caribbean

- Carnival Splendor - 7 nights (inside - CAT 1A - Cabin 8357) - Mexican Riviera

- Carnival Dream - 7 nights (inside - CAT 1A - Cabin 1404) - Eastern Caribbean

If you had those 5 ships / cabins / itineraries to choose from, which one would you suggest? We are two people in our 30's - not really party animals - one has been on CCL 16 years ago, the other has never. We've done the Mexican Riviera cruise on NCL before (loved Cabo & Puerto Vallarta).

Having never been on any of these ships and not having a lot of background on Carnival since it's been so long, I'd love to hear your opinion on which you would choose and why.

I really do appreciate all the feedback here. You guys are awesome!

Robert

I'm trying to decide between a few different cruises and I need your advice. Having not been on Carnival for 16 years (and trying it again after being faithful to RCCL and NCL), I want to make sure my return to Carnival is the best it can be.

If you had those 5 ships / cabins / itineraries to choose from, which one would you suggest? We are two people in our 30's - not really party animals - one has been on CCL 16 years ago, the other has never. We've done the Mexican Riviera cruise on NCL before (loved Cabo & Puerto Vallarta).

Having never been on any of these ships and not having a lot of background on Carnival since it's been so long, I'd love to hear your opinion on which you would choose and why.

Robert

I don't know if I can be much help we have been on two of these ships. The Dream, wonderful new big ship! We did the Eastern on the Dream and loved it, great ports beautiful and the ship was great. The Victory, we did a western, it was a great ship a little smaller than the Dream but a very nice ship. The western ports are great as well we've done them twice. Our kids had inside rooms on both ships and they were nice, plenty of room we had balcony/suite.

Robert

I've been on Victory and hands down......I would do that one again. Not because of the ship........but because of the ports. The absolute best cruise we've taken so far!:)

I agree with Calicocat. I would not choose based on the ship, but on the ports.

I actually wouldn't mind any of these itineraries.

I work for an airline, so I can get to any of the ports of embarkation - that's not a problem.

That's why I was asking my friends here at Cruise Critic - if all things were equal, and you had to choose between those ships and categories/cabins, which would you choose.

I'd choose the Victory because of the ports, but flying into San Juan will add travel $ to your budget. Dream Eastern's stops in St Thomas and St Maarten are great too, Not too much love for Nassau for me. It's cheaper from most cities to fly into Fort Lauderdale and it's a shorter distance to the cruise terminal than either Miami or Port Canaveral, which supports the Freedom, but Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios aren't exciting for me. Cozumel can be a nice stop with good food and good beaches, but be leary of heading downtown San Miguel if there are fewer than 2 ships in port with you, hawkers and vendors practially assault you as you'll be nearly alone.

I would choose the Victory because of the itinerary. The Victory is a decent size ship that we have been on twice. Western Carribean I have been to so many times I am bored with the ports but if you have never been the ports would be great and the Liberty is my favorite ship. But as I said I would choose itinerary and southern is a fun one. We did it on our fav ship--Liberty--so for us it was double fun!! Any cruise is a great time!! Good luck.

I'd choose the Victory because of the ports, but flying into San Juan will add travel $ to your budget. Dream Eastern's stops in St Thomas and St Maarten are great too, Not too much love for Nassau for me. It's cheaper from most cities to fly into Fort Lauderdale and it's a shorter distance to the cruise terminal than either Miami or Port Canaveral, which supports the Freedom, but Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios aren't exciting for me. Cozumel can be a nice stop with good food and good beaches, but be leary of heading downtown San Miguel if there are fewer than 2 ships in port with you, hawkers and vendors practially assault you as you'll be nearly alone.

Airfare isn't an issue (I work for an airline). So I am trying to get advice strictly on the ship, category/cabin that is available and itinerary from those of you who may have done these cruises.

As I said, I haven't been on Carnival in 16 years, so I am hoping for the best possible experience.

I would choose the Victory because of the itinerary. The Victory is a decent size ship that we have been on twice. Western Carribean I have been to so many times I am bored with the ports but if you have never been the ports would be great and the Liberty is my favorite ship. But as I said I would choose itinerary and southern is a fun one. We did it on our fav ship--Liberty--so for us it was double fun!! Any cruise is a great time!! Good luck.

I saw some threads that said there are too many ports on this cruise. I've never been to them before. Thoughts?

We thought the ports were great. We were in our late 50's on this cruise our children were in their 30's and had two other passengers with us in their 20's. We all loved the ports as there was much to do. I have to admit that my hubby is not as active as the rest of us and he even agreed the ports were something special. Google the ports and see all they have to offer maybe that would help. Good luck.

We are sailing on the Liberty As she is going into Dry Dock and Carnival is keeping it very quiet, so we cant wait....We were on the Victory beautiful ship, We decided on the Liberty because we love that it is going to 4 Islands..We are Sailing on her in November and very excited...good luck on your decision as I dont think whatever u choose will be a Bad One...Happy Sailing

My favorite ships are Dream and Victory... but if I had to choose between them, I'd do the Victory for the eastern itinerary.

The thing about the Victory, since there are so many ports, the ship rarely has any lines and it's pretty relaxed.

One thing about the Dream that we enjoy is the Spa -- but that's not something everyone enjoys. We like the fact that we can enjoy it together instead of having to go our separate ways up there.

Since I've cruised Dream once and got another one coming, I would pick the Victory for something different. Keep in mind that Liberty & Freedom are sister ships, so the experience would probably be pretty equal. Although, many people report that they really love the decor and staff of Liberty. Splendor is larger than Liberty/Freedom, and the Dream will be the largest. The smallest of the 5 ships, the Victory, will be the most crowded (statistically). Plus, Victory has 2 buffet lines as opposed to the 4 buffet lines on the other ships. But with so many ports, that may be a total non-issue. Dream has 2 huge waterslides, which are both so much fun! The other ships will have one large waterslide, which is also fun.

For me, the choice would be Victory. But for you, having not sailed Dream before (and since it sounds like you're wanting the ship to be the determining factor), I'd give the edge to the Dream. The location of that room may not be bad. It depends on if the people getting out of those elevators at night will be respectful. On many ships, the aft does rattle when coming into port. At least that room isn't all the way aft. Nothing at all wrong with being on Riviera deck. The entertainment on the Dream was awesome! The shows in the theater on that cruise were the best of all my cruises.

Archived