LIVE From Our EPIC Honeymoon - Huge Review Pending!

doggfan7

INTRODUCTION: Hi, we are Steve and Nina and last week we got hitched! To my best friend and the love of my life. And now we are about to embark on the most exciting, most anticipated, and surely the most expensive honeymoon we could have ever imagined. But this isn’t just a normal vacation, it also caps three years of law school and eight straight weeks of studying for the bar exam (which I took 8 days before my wedding – yes I know we’re crazy!). Anyway, needless to say, we are ready to do nothing but relax (as much as one can do on 14 days of Mediterranean schlepping in the August heat.

CRUISE SELECTION: Our goal was to find a Mediterranean cruise that we could see a bunch of places we have never seen (I have never been to Europe but the wifey is well traveled across Italy) over two weeks, that also allows us time to relax and unwind. After months of searching, we finally found the best combination of cruises. One week on the NCL Epic and one week on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. It provides the best of both worlds of cruising: 1 week on arguably the most entertaining go-go-go ship there is, and another on arguably the most luxurious, serene and relaxing ships there is.

On the Epic, we are in stateroom 12180 (BA Balcony Stateroom).

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, we are in stateroom 4018 (N Inside Stateroom).

Link to Cruise 1 (NCL Epic): http://www2.ncl.com/vacations?loc=undefined&date_from=&date_end=08%2F11&dur=undefined&from=undefined&ship=N%3D4294967080%26Ne%3D11%26Nf%3Dp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CLTEQ%2B1314835199%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key%26q%3Dquery&qs=N%3D4294967080%26Ne%3D11%26Nf%3Dp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CLTEQ%2B1314835199%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key&older=no&latitudes=no&location_select=Where+do+you+live%3F&location=

Link to Cruise 2 (Nieuw Amsterdam): http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=&portCode=BCN&shipCodeSearch=NA&durationCode=&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=I150

QUICK ITINERARY:

Friday, August 12th: Red-Eye Flight, JFK to Barcelona

Saturday, August 13th: Barcelona, Spain (Hotel Acta Atrium Palace)

Sunday, August 14th: Barcelona, Spain (Embarking NCL EPIC)

Monday, August 15th: AT SEA

Tuesday, August 16th: Livorno, Italy

Wednesday, August 17th: Civitavecchia, Italy

Thursday, August 18th: Naples, Italy

Friday, August 19th: AT SEA

Saturday, August 20th: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Sunday, August 21st: Barcelona, Spain (Embarking NIEUW AMSTERDAM)

Monday, August 22nd: Monte Carlo, Monaco

Tuesday, August 23rd: Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

Wednesday, August 24th: Civitavecchia, Italy

Thursday, August 25th: Trapani, Sicily, Italy

Friday, August 26th: La Goulette, Tunisia

Saturday, August 27th: AT SEA

Sunday, August 28th: Barcelona, Spain (Going Home ☹)

PLAN: This review is going to take place in two phases. Phase One will be the live mini-reviews in which we will post short daily updates, pictures, and answers to all of your questions. Phase Two will take a while but will be perhaps the most expansive and detailed review of both ships yet. It will include hundreds if not thousands of pictures, video, menus from every night of every restaurant, every day’s daily programs and more! We encourage everyone to be interactive and ask questions before we leave the ship and we’ll promise to try to find you an answer. But we will also be making an effort to enjoy our honeymoon, so patience is appreciated ☺.

CURRENTLY: Finishing packing everything up. We leave for the airport tomorrow afternoon for a 6 PM flight on Delta Flight 94 from New York (JFK) to Barcelona, arriving 8 AM the next morning (uggh – hope I sleep!!!!). In the meantime, let us know if you would like us to check anything out on the ship for you, or take a picture of something or anything along those lines because we are making a list.

In the meantime: T-24 hours before we leave for the airport!!!!!!!!

Wow! Congrats, just got off the Epic on Sunday, I miss her!!

One suggestion, that first night, if your hotel is near the Cathedral (Catedral), there is the most wonderful tapas bar at Ohla Hotel. I think it is call Ohla Gastronomic or something like that. Many meals in Barcelona and once we found this place we were going back for more!

Enjoy yourselves, and I hope you have magical cruises. I've been on the other one too and she is fabulous as well. Very different, which makes it even better.

Happy Cruising!

Liz

One suggestion, that first night, if your hotel is near the Cathedral (Catedral), there is the most wonderful tapas bar at Ohla Hotel. I think it is call Ohla Gastronomic or something like that. Many meals in Barcelona and once we found this place we were going back for more!

Enjoy yourselves, and I hope you have magical cruises. I've been on the other one too and she is fabulous as well. Very different, which makes it even better.

Happy Cruising!

Liz

Great suggestion - I'll check to see how close this is because we were hoping to stumble upon a great Tapas bar! Thanks.

Congrats to both of you I do this cruise every fall for last 9years. If you can try and get early check in take a shower when you land, the flight kills me(same one you 2 are taking). I never catch more than 3 hours of sleep. Also if you can try and see Monterrat in SPain right outside of Barclona. OMG I am soexcited for you both have fun:D Happy sailing congrats on bar to

Congrats on the wedding and finishing the bar! thats awesome, i hope you have an incredible vacation!

Thanks!

Congrats on your wedding. My fiance and I are getting married 8/27 and then going on the Epic 9/4. Looking forward to your review.

Congrats!!! and Thanks!

Wow, congrats on the wedding and the bar exam. I think it is very generous of you to take the time to do a review and answer questions while on your honeymoon, I am sure you have better things to do :)

Stefani

I can think of a few things :)

Congratulations!!

You are about to experience some of the most wonderful sights and sounds of Italy, Spain and Tunesia; may your memories last a life-time! Congratulations to you both!

Thanks!

You picked the right ship for this cruise. We sailed on the Epic in June. The flight across the pond is brutal. I hope you can get some sleep. Congratulations on your marriage and taking the bar exam. I look forward to your reviews.

Congrats to both of you I do this cruise every fall for last 9years. If you can try and get early check in take a shower when you land, the flight kills me(same one you 2 are taking). I never catch more than 3 hours of sleep. Also if you can try and see Monterrat in SPain right outside of Barclona. OMG I am soexcited for you both have fun:D Happy sailing congrats on bar to

I tried to stay up as best I could so that I would be extra tired for the flight, but to no avail. Here's to hoping an ambien and a stiff drink would do the trick later on tonight.

Hi Steve and Nina, I'm sure it will be a fantastic review. Have a wonderful time!

We are going on the same cruise on Epic on September 4th. Had a few questions:

1. If you find the cruise very overrun and crazy with kids.

2. Is there a steam room available for use with the fitness area or does one have to buy a spa pass, and are the steam/sauna separate or co-ed?

3. We are planning on hanging at the Spice h2O pool area, probably for night parties as well....is this a good plan?

4. Does room service take a long time?

Enough....I'm sure all other questions will be covered in your review! Thanks and have fun....!

Happy Cruising!

Liz

If we're talking tapas restaurants, you MUST go to Cal Pep in the Gothic district of Barcelona!!! It is our favorite place to eat in Barcelona. Man I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.....:cool:

Hi Steve and Nina, I'm sure it will be a fantastic review. Have a wonderful time!

2. Is there a steam room available for use with the fitness area or does one have to buy a spa pass, and are the steam/sauna separate or co-ed?

3. We are planning on hanging at the Spice h2O pool area, probably for night parties as well....is this a good plan?

Enough....I'm sure all other questions will be covered in your review! Thanks and have fun....!

We'll be sure to check this out.

UPDATE: We are currently at our gate at the airport having checked in injury-free. We had lunch at Todd English's Bonfire Grill and it was great. Pics to come afterwards. More updates to come.

without meaning to hijack I think I can answer acouple of your questions

august is still peak school holiday time by Sep 4th most kids will be back at school so will be completely different demographic

I believe the steam and sauna are available only via the spa and on the Epic these areas are co_ed

never went to H2o at night or ordered room service so no help there

Lyn

Hi guys, we are now on board and loving life. So far the ship is beautiful and everything has been great. I believe that I overestimated the amount of time that I want to spend online during my honeymoon so I will probably be posting less frequent and less descriptive updates until we return at which point we will write extensive reviews.

But in the meantime, if anybody has any questions that we could answer while on the ship, please ask!

On to the muster drill!

Hi guys, we are now on board and loving life. So far the ship is beautiful and everything has been great. I believe that I overestimated the amount of time that I want to spend online during my honeymoon so I will probably be posting less frequent and less descriptive updates until we return at which point we will write extensive reviews.

But in the meantime, if anybody has any questions that we could answer while on the ship, please ask!

On to the muster drill!

Goodness, it's your HONEYMOON. Stay away from the internet and enjoy everything about your vacation and each other. We'll be here when you get back looking forward to your review........of the ship...not the honeymoon part. :D

Have a great time.

On to the muster drill!

I was wondering where you would find time to get online ;). There is soooooo much to do on the Epic and this itinerary. Have a good time and don't worry about making too many updates.

Archived