They all have horrible reviews!

Markanddonna

Hi,

I am doing my homework and looking at Seven Corners (A+ rating) and Travelguard (A rating). A more in depth review on the internet shows so many complaints of both companies. Has anyone actually had a claim with either of these companies?

Thanks,

Connie

I've had 2 claims with Travelgard and always received my check promptly.

I never have filed a complaint when I received great service, only poor service. That could be the reason why you see only complaints.

I'm sure that if you dug a little deeper into the complaints, the people complaining were expecting coverage for something the insurance didn't provide coverage for. Therefore, the insurance company sucks in their opinion.

Hi,

I am doing my homework and looking at Seven Corners (A+ rating) and Travelguard (A rating). A more in depth review on the internet shows so many complaints of both companies. Has anyone actually had a claim with either of these companies?

Thanks,

Connie

First of all, there's no "official" ratings of those two insurers or any other insurers. The ratings you see on the online comparison sites are for the plan underwriters which for Seven Corners are Nationwide and for most Travel Guard plans National Union Fire. All those ratings are concerned with is does the underwriter have the financial ability to pay the claims. Nothing more -- not their claims paying record, their customer service, or the value of their benefits.

If you're using insuremytrip you're much better off looking at the plan ratings and reviews by actual customers that are shown there. For example, the Travel Guard Gold Plan (Protect Assist) has 123 customer ratings on Coverage, Cost, Claims (if one was filed) and overall satisfaction. That's where you'll find what you're really looking for. I'd scroll through and pay extra attention to the ratings from clients who actually had to make a claim as that's where you really find out the value of what you bought.

A couple of days ago, I was reading reviews of a particular airline on a complaint webpage. I am pretty knowledgeable about this airline's policies. I would estimate at least 85% of the poster's complaints were not valid. They agreed to certain terms when they purchased their tickets and the airline was merely correctly following these policies, which the posters didn't like.

I think that is the same for many insurance complaints. People do not take the time to read and understand exactly what they are purchasing, then they are unhappy when they find out they don't have coverage for their problem.

I have filed several claims with Travelguard and had no problem. IME, people are more likely to post when they are unhappy then when they are satisfied.

FYI, another poster mentioned that an insuremytrip employee told them over the phone that Seven Corners has better coverage than Travelguard. I did a side by side comparison, and it appears to be true. I think Travelguard is better known, but Seven Corners is underwritten by Nationwide. The cost is slightly less.

Connie

FYI, another poster mentioned that an insuremytrip employee told them over the phone that Seven Corners has better coverage than Travelguard. I did a side by side comparison, and it appears to be true. I think Travelguard is better known, but Seven Corners is underwritten by Nationwide. The cost is slightly less.

Connie

Just be very careful about what an insuremytrip employee happened to tell someone else. For another cruiser, the Seven Corners plan might be a rotten choice. What's the best choice for someone else may not be the best choice for you.

For example, many cruisers want to know that they can cancel or interrupt their trip if there's a medical emergency or death of a family member. Both Seven Corners and Travel Guard will let you do this.

But here's the Seven Corners definition of a "Family Member":

"Family Member : means Your or Your Traveling Companion's legal or common law spouse, parent, legal guardian, step-parent, grandparent, parents-in-law, grandchild, natural or adopted child, step-child, children-in-law, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, who reside in the United States, Canada or Mexico."

For most that's not a problem, but maybe (since we're a nation of immigrants) your parents still reside in India. Or a brother is working and residing in Brazil. If that's the case, does it really matter if this plan has a higher coverage limit on the travel delay benefit or is a few dollars cheaper? You perhaps would want to choose the Travel Guard plan even though you read that an insuremytrip rep told someone else that the Seven Corners plan was the best choice for them.

I had claim w/ Travelguard (got asthma issues/pneumonia) and no issue getting claim resolved... where are you seeing the horrible reviews? Never heard of Seven Corners ... I always use insuremytrip.com to compare coverages.

Hi, I spoke with two of the Insuremytrip.com reps and both of them recommended Seven Corners for our upcoming cruise. Haven’t made up my mind yet. One concern I have is that Seven Corners has a lot of coverage areas that are secondary not primary but their premium is much lower. Hay – you get what you pay for.

I have heard so many positive comments about Travelguard and their policy seemed to be the best fit. I just don't want any confusion on the "preexisting condition" clause since both DH and I have relatively minor, but who knows "medical conditions". I was a few days too late with Seven Corners but today was my "deadline" for the one with TG. Thanks for your advice. BTW- I googles about the reviews and they were on another website. All the companies were put through the ringer, but I think you are correct about people who complain.

Cpmme

Archived