Playa PortoMari?

SassyGirl

just wanted to be sure that everyone understood the taxi rates. they charge by the vehicle, not the person. so.. $40 to the beach and only 2 of you is $20 each way pp. obviously, it is much cheaper if you can fill upthe cab or van. as for the beach, water shoes are suggested. the beaches in curacao are not the same as aruba. the sand is darker and coarser and tends to have lots of stones and coral as you enter the water.having said that this beach has it all: great setting, beautiful clear water, good snorkeling, decent facilities incuding food. don't miss the 15 minute trail hike up the cliffs that lead to incredible views. well worth the effort.

steve

So then what does the cab cost to this beach each way? Everyone keeps saying $10 per person. But they are not saying how many were in the cab (was it 2 or 4)?

just wanted to be sure that everyone understood the taxi rates. they charge by the vehicle, not the person. so.. $40 to the beach and only 2 of you is $20 each way pp. obviously, it is much cheaper if you can fill upthe cab or van. as for the beach, water shoes are suggested. the beaches in curacao are not the same as aruba. the sand is darker and coarser and tends to have lots of stones and coral as you enter the water.having said that this beach has it all: great setting, beautiful clear water, good snorkeling, decent facilities incuding food. don't miss the 15 minute trail hike up the cliffs that lead to incredible views. well worth the effort.

steve

So then what does the cab cost to this beach each way? Everyone keeps saying $10 per person. But they are not saying how many were in the cab (was it 2 or 4)?

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been here with kids? My sister and I are debating going here with two 6yr old and a 4yr old. My 6yr old loves to snorkel and we have her own life vest and snorkel gear. Will she be able to do some snorkeling off the pier? Also, if the sand is rough and full of coral, I am guessing it isn't an ideal beach for the kiddies to play in the sand and surf.

It is between here, doing the Sea Aquarium or doing the Sea Explorer and downtown. Any suggestions??

We had 6 in a very comfortable van. $20 pp round trip. When he dropped us off at the beach, we set time to meet to go back to the ship. Didn't pay until the dropp off at ship.

A great beach and snorkelling...

There wre 6 of us in a very comfortable van $20 pp round trip. When driver dropped us off at the beach, we set time for pickup. Didn't pay until return drop off.

There were a lot of familes with kids at the beach. The kids were having fun. There is some old coral to walk over in about a foot of water. Not a big deal.

Definitely a family type of spot. You will find locals there with their families as well.

Good spot for kids too whether or not they snorkel.

As you can see below the water is fairly shallow a ways out from the beach.

beachf.jpg

There were 10 of us in our family and I had warned everyone to bring their water shoes "just in case".

All in all it was a wonderful day.

Here are the rest of my Playa Porto Mari photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Rustaroo, I don't remember there being a charge for the showers, but you could email them and ask. Here's the website:

http://www.playaportomari.com/service.html

And this is their reply:

Hi Richard,

The showers at PortoMari are free of charge.

Greetings,

Coen van der Ree

PortoMari Beach Club B.V.

:D

So there are no vest rentals available here??? I am not a great swimmer and feel much more comfortable with a vest. Guess I will need to try & find one to purchase before I leave...

It seems according to their website, they do not. http://www.portomarisports.com/WebsiteCuracaoEngels/ShopEngels/Prijslijsten/index.htm

The BCD is for scuba diving.

We were just to Porto Playa Mari a few weeks ago --- some thoughts

Great place ---- you can probably get away without beach shoes if you don't mind the roughness --- we had some in our party with, some without.

I personally was glad to have them since I'm a tender-foot!!

We just walked in (we got there early) and set up camp under a set of chairs with an umbrella, they come around and charge you a bit later. Don't ask the person collecting any questions, not alot of English was understood.

For families ---- we did see some nudity here. I wasn't expecting it until St Marten, but the lady between us and the shoreline whipped off her top before she set down her beach towel. Maybe it was just her, we saw NO one else, but just wanted to warn you.

We arrainged with our taxi cab driver for a return trip. this place is in the middle of nowhere, I woudn't have wanted to be left there, since it's far from the ship.

Good snorkling, iguanas walking around, pretty "natural" place.

We didn't hike, but they say the trail is interesting. We didn't purchase any drinks or stuff, but the prices looked okay.

Would definitely go back!!!

dbb25

So there are no vest rentals available here??? I am not a great swimmer and feel much more comfortable with a vest. Guess I will need to try & find one to purchase before I leave...

I went on ebay last year and purchased two life vests, just like the ones used on snorkeling tours. They deflate easily and you can pack them in your suitcase. Check it out. Not that expensive and will pay for themselves after two snorkel trips.

We were just to Porto Playa Mari a few weeks ago --- some thoughts

We arrainged with our taxi cab driver for a return trip. this place is in the middle of nowhere, I woudn't have wanted to be left there, since it's far from the ship.

dbb25

Dbb -

We are going in June and I have a question for you...Did you notice if there were taxi's available for those people who did not pre-arrange a pick up time? We didn't really want to committ to a specific time so were hoping to just grab a cab whenever we want to return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I went on ebay last year and purchased two life vests, just like the ones used on snorkeling tours. They deflate easily and you can pack them in your suitcase. Check it out. Not that expensive and will pay for themselves after two snorkel trips.

I recently bought 4 snorkel vests from 101snorkel.com. I got a 2 pack of yellow adult vests for $50 (free shipping, no tax). This is a great deal and exactly like the ones I've used at resorts and on snorkel boats.

I bought them for our upcoming (3/23) cruise to Curacao and plan to use them at Porto Mari.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to PortoMari the week after Easter and arrived (after touring the Hato Caves) about 11:30.

Just a tip: if you are traveling during a holiday week, I recommend you get to this beach first thing if you want a chair and/or umbrella or to be under the trees for shade.

We got like, the last spot under trees, and the last two loungers (dragged over from other spots). Our tour guide said that this was a holiday week for the locals as well, and this is a beach that they frequent.

The beach is gorgeous, the kids loved seeing the fish in the shallow water!

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of going to this beach by myself. DH doesn't want to, and DD will want to sleep in. Once in St. John I went on a seaside trail and felt a little bit alone and worried. Are there enough people using this trail to not be worried about being on your own! Thanks for your help!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived