Volcano Nat. Park or Highlights of Hilo w/Robert's?

krkheffe

Hi everyone....I am trying to decide what to do for our Hilo day on our Dec. 3-10, 2011 cruise. It is my husband and I, his brother and his wife, and their parents....6 adults. The Dad does have some walking issues related to MS...gets around pretty well but lond distances and uneven ground could be hard on him.

I have never been to Hawaii so everything I read sounds great....but I guess although the Volcano Nat park sounds great...it also sounds desolate and not very pretty....not sure we would want to spend all day there. So, we were thinking about the Highlights of Hilo tour instead. I keep changing my mind and wondered if anyone out there has done both, what you would suggest?

Not sure we will go with Robert's yet, we may rent a van and do stuff ourselves. So many decisions.

Thanks for your help...

Kelly

I don't see a "Highlights of Hilo" tour listed. To get detailed responses copy and post the tours.

I doubt all 6 of you have the same interests anyway? With you doing ship tours, it would also be simple to split up as well.

An alternative would be a van rental and driving yourself to VNP (if anyone over 62- you all get in free :) ) Then you can stop and view as you wish and take as long or short as your group wants.

I don't see a "Highlights of Hilo" tour listed. To get detailed responses copy and post the tours.

I doubt all 6 of you have the same interests anyway? With you doing ship tours, it would also be simple to split up as well.

An alternative would be a van rental and driving yourself to VNP (if anyone over 62- you all get in free :) ) Then you can stop and view as you wish and take as long or short as your group wants.

Thanks for the help...here is the link to the Highlights of Hilo tour offered through Robert's:

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/hawaii/highlights_of_hilo.php

We have thought of renting a van...didn't know we would get in for free with a senior...that is a benefit. I just don't want anyone to stress out about driving and not being able to see as much...or maybe things are hard to find. I have read reviews of people that misses stuff because they couldn't find it. Maybe VNP isn't like that.

Thanks again...Kelly

On the Highlights Tour I see that there is a visit to Akaka Falls. Actually, this sems to be the main focus of this tour. The short hike to view the falls may be a challenge for someone with walking issues. Unfortunately, the falls cannot be viewed without doing this little hike.

The walking in most areas of VNP is easier. Only walking down to Thurston Lava Tube may be an issue. Personally, I would not miss VNP while visiting Hilo. If you rent a car and do it on your own, it is an easy drive from Hilo. Just be sure you get a good guide book so you have an idea what you are viewing. I think a tour would be a great way to go for your first visit to the park. Then everyone can enjoy the incredible scenery. .....and it really is incredible.

On the Highlights Tour I see that there is a visit to Akaka Falls. Actually, this sems to be the main focus of this tour. The short hike to view the falls may be a challenge for someone with walking issues. Unfortunately, the falls cannot be viewed without doing this little hike.

The walking in most areas of VNP is easier. Only walking down to Thurston Lava Tube may be an issue. Personally, I would not miss VNP while visiting Hilo. If you rent a car and do it on your own, it is an easy drive from Hilo. Just be sure you get a good guide book so you have an idea what you are viewing. I think a tour would be a great way to go for your first visit to the park. Then everyone can enjoy the incredible scenery. .....and it really is incredible.

Thanks....I really appreciate your input. I keep changing my mind between renting a vehicle and doing the tour. Doing it through Roberts is so reasonable it seems like a great option. Obviously there are great benefits of having the vehicle so you can come and go as you want, but you also have to navigate the entire time.

The Akaka Falls is what I really want to see but have read that it is a rough sort of path to see it. Probably shouldn't plan an entire excursion around 1 waterfall....as I know we will see more during the week. We are doing the Road to Hana tour and I have heard you see a lot there.

Thanks again....Kelly

I have never been to Hawaii so everything I read sounds great....but I guess although the Volcano Nat park sounds great...it also sounds desolate and not very pretty....not sure we would want to spend all day there.

Kelly

I don't believe you have a volcano in Missouri! :-)

I would not miss it. The road from Hilo to VNP is a fairly straight shot and the road around the crater and the lava tubes are well marked. VNP is not only lava flows but is also in a tropical setting.

Your best bet is to incorporate a visit to VNP as well as a look-see around Hilo area including Akaka Falls. You might consider renting a van and get a GPS as well to guide you around.

I did the VNP a couple years ago and it was wonderful. Beauty comes in all forms. The tour took us to the lodge where we could see just about everything and then we drove around to the museum and then off to the forest to see the lava tube. It was a very nice day. The lava tube would not be able to be done with someone with walking problems, but there is plenty to look at just staying on top

Enjoy no matter what you do

I don't believe you have a volcano in Missouri! :-)

I would not miss it. The road from Hilo to VNP is a fairly straight shot and the road around the crater and the lava tubes are well marked. VNP is not only lava flows but is also in a tropical setting.

Your best bet is to incorporate a visit to VNP as well as a look-see around Hilo area including Akaka Falls. You might consider renting a van and get a GPS as well to guide you around.

Hahaha...nope, no volcano here, but no waterfalls to speak of either...at least not like in Hawaii! Plenty of caves though!

I imagine whatever we decide to do will be wonderful!

Kelly

Hi there neighbor! I have actually booked the Deluxe Volcano tour thru NCL when I go in 2013. The reason, even though it is costly, is that I did almost this exact same tour in 2003 and only about 12 people from the ship were able to book this tour. Our group was only 6 people, we had a naturalist for our guide and saw and learned more about VNP than we would have on any other tour. We went places the bigger buses did not go and if someone has mobility problems, it is not a problem for them to go slower or admire areas from afar as they say. As to the desolation of VNP, I did not see that at all. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the entire park area is absolutely amazing and something you will never see in Kansas or Missouri.

As to waterfalls, in my opinion, the better waterfalls are in Kauai.

Thanks for the help...here is the link to the Highlights of Hilo tour offered through Robert's:

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/hawaii/highlights_of_hilo.php

We have thought of renting a van...didn't know we would get in for free with a senior...that is a benefit. I just don't want anyone to stress out about driving and not being able to see as much...or maybe things are hard to find. I have read reviews of people that misses stuff because they couldn't find it. Maybe VNP isn't like that.

Thanks again...Kelly

It is very simple to drive to VNP, clearly marked roads, and accurate signs. I don't drive with "tunnel vision" and see plenty of the sights when I drive. IF something is of interest, all I do, is pull over.

I'd definitely rent a vehicle. There is Rainbow Falls right in Hilo, a small FREE zoo and Macadamia Nut Farm on the way to Volcano National Park, and then the Park itself. You have read correctly, that a lot of the lava fields are barren, but there is also plenty of lush countryside.

We did it all in one day. Of course we didn't spend 5 hours at any one location. Have a great tirp, whatever you deicde to do.

Archived