How to see the Rome Catacombs on our own?

ussminnow

Hello, Cruisers!

We will be in the port of Rome (Civitavecchia) in September and were interested in visiting the Catacombs. We have been to Rome before so we wanted to explore something new, but our ship does not have any excursions to the Catacombs. So we were wondering how feasible it would be for us to get there on our own. Has anyone done this before and if so, any suggestions or advice? Is there public transportation directly to any of the Catacombs?

Thank you!

Melanie

The web site for the catacombs of Saint Callixtus gives you a couple of different ways to get there by public transit. Once you are there you'll be close to the others (San Sebastiano, Domitilla). Web site here: http://www.catacombe.roma.it/en/info2.html. I did this a few years ago, the only difficult part is finding the bus stop afterwards - it's not in the same place as where you get off, but it's not far. Ask for help before you leave the museum shop.

From Civitavecchia you can get off at Ostiense and take the #118 bus, or you could go to Termini and use the Archeobus: http://www.trambusopen.com/en/home.cfm

There are actually various catacombs and crypts all around (and even in) Rome. Since the ones along the Appian Way are the most famous, I'm guessing those are the ones you mean?

It would be pretty easy to get there on your own from Civitavecchia. You can take the train, but instead of going all the way to Termini, get off at the Ostiense station. Close beside it (at the Pyramide metro station) you can catch bus #118 that will take you out along the via Appia Antica to the main catacombs there. Not all of them are open on any given day (and I believe they close mid-day from 12-2pm), but you should be able to see at least two of them.

The Appian Way also has a lot of other monuments, from tombs of prominent Romans to actual villas. You should be aware, though, that traffic is allowed on the road and it can be difficult at times to walk very far on days except for Sundays when it is pedestrian-only.

The web site for the catacombs of Saint Callixtus gives you a couple of different ways to get there by public transit. Once you are there you'll be close to the others (San Sebastiano, Domitilla). Web site here: http://www.catacombe.roma.it/en/info2.html. I did this a few years ago, the only difficult part is finding the bus stop afterwards - it's not in the same place as where you get off, but it's not far. Ask for help before you leave the museum shop.

From Civitavecchia you can get off at Ostiense and take the #118 bus, or you could go to Termini and use the Archeobus: http://www.trambusopen.com/en/home.cfm

Looks like we were typing at the same time. ;)

I would give a warning about the Archeobus. It used to be a great little option, sort of a small HOHO bus. I used it in 2006 to visit the Appian Way and Aqueduct Park. Now it no longer goes that far, and I've heard many people say that they oversell tickets and the buses get very crowded. They don't come along too often, and people are afraid to get off for fear they won't get back on. It may be worth a try on a day when you're actually staying in Rome, but when you're on a deadline to get back to the ship, it might be a bit stressful....

Looks like we were typing at the same time. ;)

I would give a warning about the Archeobus. It used to be a great little option, sort of a small HOHO bus. I used it in 2006 to visit the Appian Way and Aqueduct Park. Now it no longer goes that far, and I've heard many people say that they oversell tickets and the buses get very crowded. They don't come along too often, and people are afraid to get off for fear they won't get back on. It may be worth a try on a day when you're actually staying in Rome, but when you're on a deadline to get back to the ship, it might be a bit stressful....

Thank you for the information, Cynthia & Euro Cruiser!

Yes, I was referring to the catacombs along the Appian Way. So do you think we would be o.k. with time to take public transportation and still make our ship before it departs? We arrive in the morning and the ship departs at 7 p.m. We did figure on taking a train from Civitavecchia to Rome. Thanks again!

Melanie

Melanie, you'll have plenty of time. The tour I went on at one of the catacombs (I can't remember which one it was, at the moment) took about an hour, so even a thorough visit at each one isn't going to push you, time-wise.

Thank you so much!!

Melanie

Archived