Complimentary shuttles from ship to city center

I will be sailing 10/15 from Istanbul to Barcelona. I received a copy of Oceania's cruise brochure with a cover letter that stated that there are complimentary shuttles from ship to city center in many ports of call. Does anyone know if there are free shuttles into Rome or Florence?

Bonnie

I will be sailing 10/15 from Istanbul to Barcelona. I received a copy of Oceania's cruise brochure with a cover letter that stated that there are complimentary shuttles from ship to city center in many ports of call. Does anyone know if there are free shuttles into Rome or Florence?

Bonnie

I doubt it

The city centre is the city where the ship ports

They will have shuttles for a fee for cities further from the port like Rome

That was one flaw on our recent 14 day cruise - "Wonders of the Ancients". There was a shuttle in only 2 of the 13 ports. And this was after Oceania made the free shuttle announcment. The help desk had no advance information on which ports had shuttles. So it was difficult to plan.

The port for Rome is Civitavecchia which is about 1 ½ hours by bus from the centre of Rome.

The port for Florence is Livorno which is about 1 hour by bus from the centre of Florence.

A search will get you options other than the Oceania excursions to Rome or Florence, or for things to do in the area of the ports such as Pisa or Lucca.

Don

If you have been to Florence and are looking for something elsde to do from the Port of Livorno, please consider Cinque Terre. Not far away and can be accomplished by train. There is also Sienna, and San Giganmano (sp?) that were wonderful excursions from Livorno. Lucca, in my estimation would run last of all the places that you can go from Livorno.

Bobi

Just back from a Nautica med cruise and there were free shuttles in all the ports. Livorno and Citavecchia shuttles just went to the ports obviously, not to Rome or Pisa or florence but dead easy to do yourself. also Livorno and citavecchia are really nice places themselves.

If you have been to Florence and are looking for something elsde to do from the Port of Livorno, please consider Cinque Terre. Not far away and can be accomplished by train. There is also Sienna, and San Giganmano (sp?) that were wonderful excursions from Livorno. Lucca, in my estimation would run last of all the places that you can go from Livorno.

Bobi

We have been to Florence several times and I have been knocking myself out trying to decide where to go from Livorno. Considering Cinque Terre as well as San Gmigniano, Lucca etc. We have also been to Sienna and dont think that warrants a return visit. So what did you do in Cinque Terre and why pick that over Lucca? Inquiring minds want to know!

----------------

Helen

We have been to Florence several times and I have been knocking myself out trying to decide where to go from Livorno. Considering Cinque Terre as well as San Gmigniano, Lucca etc. We have also been to Sienna and dont think that warrants a return visit. So what did you do in Cinque Terre and why pick that over Lucca? Inquiring minds want to know!

----------------

Helen

Cinque Terre....gets my vote!!

----------------

Helen

Having been to all of the above towns, I would say that it would depend on what you want to do or see. Cinque Terra is a collection of small villages along the coast with breath taking views. We spent a long day walking from village to village and enjoyed stopping to see the sights and having drinks at the local cafes and then taking a train back to our starting point. We have also spent 2 days in Lucca, which is a larger town much like Sienna, so if you don't want to go to Sienna, then why Lucca?

My daughter and I have each to Florence before. Since our ship overnights in Livorno, we will going to Cinque Terre for the 1st day without having to worry about when we return to the ship. My late husband and I visited Monterosa Al Mare and loved spending time there. Thanks for the recommendations.

The scenery in Cinque Terre is awesome and it's not very touristy. There are no roads coneecting the 5 towns but you can either walk or take a train. I believe that you may have to take a boat to go to Monterosaa Al Mare, the northern most of the towns. Get Rick Steve's book on Italy or on Meditteranena Cruise Ports and he can describe his passion for this area better than I can. A fellow passenger on the Oct. 15 sailing of Insignia suggested that I buy his book on Amazon.com which I did. It is a considerable savings from buying the book in a store.

Bonnie

Archived