Cruise to Norway

croozer10

We love Hurtigruten, and have cruised the Norwegian Fjords twice with them, the last time this year when we went all the way up to the northernmost tip of Norway.

They're not a traditional cruise line but in fact are a working ferry, so you won't have some of the "amenities" you'll find on the big ships: there's no organized activities (except for the occasional lecture), no bingo, art auctions, shows, movies, contests...

just some of the most breathtaking scenery you could ever imagine, great Norwegian food (3 meals a day, and a cafe open around 20 hours), small numbers (there were approximately 300 people on our cruise) so a sense of intimacy,cordial and attentive staff.

I highly recommend them! :)

We took the long cruise that goes all the way up to the northenmost point of Europe crossing the Polar Circle. It was an extremely interesting cruise, especially the fjords. I would so love to go again, to see different ports in the fjords area.

Norwegians are very friendly, we felt safe everywhere going off on our own. We had maps, did pre-cruise research, and didn't do any cruise tours.

And the photos - you will be taking them every 5 minutes! :D

Don't hesitate, you will have a great vacation.

I think most cruise lines sailing out of Southampton make several journeys to Norway in summer-look at P&O, Cunard, Fred Olsen, Celebrity. There are other, smaller lines such as Thomson from Newcastle/Harwich, and the little ships such as Ocean Countess, Marco Polo, Swan, Saga etc.

Other lines go from Dover and Copenhagen- there's usually an NCL from the latter.

There will be longer cruises which add in Iceland and some of the Scottish Islands- I've got my eye on one of those, going with Fred O from Edinburgh.

Jo.

We took the long cruise that goes all the way up to the northenmost point of Europe crossing the Polar Circle. It was an extremely interesting cruise, especially the fjords. I would so love to go again, to see different ports in the fjords area.

Norwegians are very friendly, we felt safe everywhere going off on our own. We had maps, did pre-cruise research, and didn't do any cruise tours.

And the photos - you will be taking them every 5 minutes! :D

Don't hesitate, you will have a great vacation.

Which cruise was this? Sounds like my next trip!:D

We love Hurtigruten, and have cruised the Norwegian Fjords twice with them, the last time this year when we went all the way up to the northernmost tip of Norway.

They're not a traditional cruise line but in fact are a working ferry, so you won't have some of the "amenities" you'll find on the big ships: there's no organized activities (except for the occasional lecture), no bingo, art auctions, shows, movies, contests...

just some of the most breathtaking scenery you could ever imagine, great Norwegian food (3 meals a day, and a cafe open around 20 hours), small numbers (there were approximately 300 people on our cruise) so a sense of intimacy,cordial and attentive staff.

I highly recommend them! :)

And I have to absolutely agree with uppitycats!

Yes, Hurtigruten is not a traditional cruise line but their route gives a wonderful possibility to experience a large number of ports all year long at all times of the day. It's a wonderful experience, especially if you go for the lovely nature and scenery.

We were on the Trollfjord (one of the newest ships) for our honeymoon in December 2008 and though it was a christmas cruise, we were less than 10 round-trip passengers and were only joined by more travelers in Kirkenes (last north going port) and by a number of crew members' family members at many of the smaller ports.

Hurtigruten is costly, especially in the summer months and if you prefere a (mini) suite instead of bunk beds ;), but it's well worth it. Food and service were exceptional and they offer wonderful excursions.

Next time, we'll travel to Oslo, take the Bergen railway, visit Flåm, spend a day in Bergen, then not take the whole round-trip but only do Bergen-Kirkenes-Trondheim and take the train back to Oslo. A wonderful way to see even more of the beautiful nature.

[Yes, I am a total Norway fanatic :D]

To 5326Jen: it was Vision of the Seas in August 2011, out of Copenhagen round-trip, stops Nordcapp, Tromso, Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, and maybe I've forgotten a stop? We had really bad weather in Nordcapp, all other stops we went ashore, walked around, took local tourist "trains" - new about some, ran into others by chance, and had great time everywhere.

To 5326Jen: it was Vision of the Seas in August 2011, out of Copenhagen round-trip, stops Nordcapp, Tromso, Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, and maybe I've forgotten a stop? We had really bad weather in Nordcapp, all other stops we went ashore, walked around, took local tourist "trains" - new about some, ran into others by chance, and had great time everywhere.

Were the waters really rough in the North and Norwegian Seas? I don't mind the bounce too much, but DH gets a little queasy in high seas! By bad weather, do you mean rain?

Were the waters really rough in the North and Norwegian Seas? I don't mind the bounce too much, but DH gets a little queasy in high seas! By bad weather, do you mean rain?

We went August 2010 the seas were very calm weather was cool but sunny in the north part of Norway, Murmansk Russia was 74F ..who knew;)

You never know what the seas or weather will be

We had a great trip all the way.

Lyn

Archived