Manzanillo

t60

I haven't been there, but I have been trying to research what to do there.

It didn't seem like there was a lot to do right by the ship except the little shopping area. There are resorts to hang out at, or there are a couple beaches that look good. Everything seems to be about a 20-30 minute taxi ride.

The full day stop in Acapulco has been changed to a morning in Manzanillo.

Does anyone have any recommendations for half a day?

Sandy in Spain

It depends on what your cruise line offers in the way of excursions. There is not too much to do "in town" on your own other than hang out at one of the resorts and they are some distance from the port. You will need a taxi to get to them. I was in Manzanillo last year on a Carnival cruise and we had all day in port so we took a tour which included a Mayan ruin, a drive through Colima to Comala, a stop to see( at a distance as they are active) 2 volcanoes, lunch, and a visit to a coffee roaster. This year we will be back and have booked a 2 reef, 1 shipwreck snorkle trip.

It depends on what your cruise line offers in the way of excursions. There is not too much to do "in town" on your own other than hang out at one of the resorts and they are some distance from the port. You will need a taxi to get to them. I was in Manzanillo last year on a Carnival cruise and we had all day in port so we took a tour which included a Mayan ruin, a drive through Colima to Comala, a stop to see( at a distance as they are active) 2 volcanoes, lunch, and a visit to a coffee roaster. This year we will be back and have booked a 2 reef, 1 shipwreck snorkle trip.

On Carnival, the tour above is called "Magic Pueblos". We did a similar one called "Colonial Tour". We saw both Colima and Comala, went to pre Mayan ruins, went to a local gallery/museum and had an excellent lunch at a local restaurant.

If we ever go back to Manzanillo, we plan on doing 1 of these 2 tours again.

We also did the Colonial Tour (Colima, Comala, Ruins, Manzanillo) and it was a good tour - I would recommend it . Right now I would use a ship excursion in Mexico due to the violence.. you are most likely not going to run into trouble, but if you do having the ship on your side would help. My experience is that tourists are left alone. (I spent a month on Acapulco 1/11 and drove to Puerto Vallarta and back (8 weeks in MX total - Copper Canyon, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Mazatlan) in 2009 with no problems.)

I did the Colonial tour a few years ago and was disappointed. Colima was nice and the lunch was OK, but I thought the ruins were a waste of time. They were mostly just mounds of dirt with very little excavation done. Nothing like the ruins you will find near Cozumel and Belize.

However, the OP can't take any of those tours anyway since they are in Manzanillo for just the morning.

OP, your best bet is to just book one of the ship's excursions as they will have been altered to your timetable.

Bob

Thanks everyone, I personally would have preferred PV or Acapulco, which we love and have visited several times. We never had any problems there going around on our own (last visit 2010) although have heard tales from others with problems

Sandy in Spain

I did the Colonial tour a few years ago and was disappointed. Colima was nice and the lunch was OK, but I thought the ruins were a waste of time. They were mostly just mounds of dirt with very little excavation done. Nothing like the ruins you will find near Cozumel and Belize.

However, the OP can't take any of those tours anyway since they are in Manzanillo for just the morning.

OP, your best bet is to just book one of the ship's excursions as they will have been altered to your timetable.

Bob

OMG your you tube video is hillarious!! I Loved it thanks for sharing:eek:

Thanks everyone, I personally would have preferred PV or Acapulco, which we love and have visited several times. We never had any problems there going around on our own (last visit 2010) although have heard tales from others with problems

Sandy in Spain

Excuse the thread interruption but I have a question for Sandy. I saw, on another post, that you stayed at the Rendezvous Stafford hotel in Sydney. Would you stay there again? Could you please email me at suek46 at hotmail dot com? Thanks.........

We live in Manzanillo during the winter months and I just wrote to Dani at Danitours to see if he has a special tour set up for this day. I'll let you know what he has planned. Otherwise you can contact him at http://danitours.com/contact.html. Susan at the Scuba Shack has a great website http://www.gomanzanillo.com/ that might also give you some ideas. We have gone snorkeling with her and always had a great time. Manzanillo isn't a good shopping town and the Downtown area is fun for awhile but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time there.

I'm almost a bit stumped as to what you can do for just a half day, there are some beautiful beaches and sightseeing but it would be very rushed. What dates and time will you be in port? I can do some more checking around and see what's happening.

Archived