itinerary ideas/bus/schedules help--please

prissy8

this was our plan-please re-direct or help us see this beautiful place!!!

arrive 7am wednesday.

depart ship 8am

catch #7 bus to horseshoe bay ($4.50 per person exact change or $4 with tokens). lounge around there for a few hours. get back on bus (another $4.50 per person), #7 bus pink pole (pink returns to hamilton), and go to hamilton for lunch at hog penny pub and shopping. would like to see the cathedral in the shopping area. take ferry back to ship, departing by 4-430 so that we can shower and be ready for 7pm excursion. I think the ferrry is $4.50 per person too.

thursday

2 options

1-take ferry in the am to st george, fool around at tobacco bay, shop, drinks at white horse pub. if really adventurous take bus #1 or #3 to crystal caves and have a drink at swizzel inn (oldest bar in bermuda), bus back to st george, then ferry to dockyard. when back at dockyard, lunch at frog and onion then fool around snorkel park.

2-forget about st george and spend day at dockyard

friday is last minute shopping at the dockyard

Why not buy a 2 day transportation pass instead of carrying exact change or tokens? You'll have to stand in line for the tokens anyway, so why not buy the transportation pass?

The first scheduled bus to Horseshoe Bay departs the Dockyard at 8:20am. The bus holds about 38 passengers. Get in line early; you will not be alone.

The ferry requires either token or transportation pass.

The ferry to St George departs at 10:00am and will be crowded. There is a ferry at 3:45pm to return to the Dockyard. This ferry will also be crowded.

About the caves and Swizzle Inn. Routes #1, #3, #10 and #11 buses all pass by SI and the caves are about a 7 minute walk from SI. To me anyway, there is no good reason to backtrack to SG after the caves or SI. Don't limit your tour time by trying to catch the return ferry at 3:45pm. End you day's tour at the caves/SI and take a routes #1, #3, #10 or #11 bus back to Hamilton. The route #10 or #11 bus are more direct and therefore faster. From Hamilton, take the ferry to the Dockyard.

So you will have drinks at the White Horse and more drinks at SI, make sure you can still walk. The stairs in the caves can be very slippery :eek:. I would have lunch at SI and drinks at F&O.

Are you on the Carnival Pride? and have you joined your roll call?

I think your overall plan is good, just needs a little fine tuning.

SBtS

You didn't say when you're cruising to Bermuda. I don't know if you're aware of the bus drivers strike currently under way. If you arrive in Bermuda before the strike is settled, any plans that involve traveling by bus obviously have to be changed.

The strike is now over!!!:D They have decided to go into arbitration to settle the matter...:D

Maryse:)

sorry sailbadthesinner--still early-need more coffee

new plan-can you please give bus/ferry route/times for the following plan?

(we would rather do the beach thing around 2-ish)

day 1

hamilton for shopping, sightseeing, drinks/lunch and horseshoe bay

-back to dockyard by 430

day 2

st george for caves, lunch/drinks-back to snorkel park--dockyard is close-back by 430

thanks in advance

sorry sailbadthesinner--still early-need more coffee

new plan-can you please give bus/ferry route/times for the following plan?

(we would rather do the beach thing around 2-ish)

day 1

hamilton for shopping, sightseeing, drinks/lunch and snorkel park-back to dockyard by 430

day 2

st george for caves, lunch/drinks-next horseshoe bay---back by 430

thanks in advance

Question, does everybody turn into a pumpkin at 4:30?

Day 1:

Take the ferry to Hamilton at 9:00am, or 9:30am, or 9:40am. Shop to you drop; have lunch at the Hog Penny Restaurant & Pub, Burnaby St which is off Front St; do the walking tour as suggested by CC member 32N64W in post #1 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1452524 . Return to the Dockyard by any ferry (Blue Route) that would be convenient when you finish shopping, touring and eating.

BTW, Snorkel Park is located at the Dockyard about a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship.

Day 2:

Take the 7:30am ferry to Hamilton; take the 8:45am route #11 bus to the caves which will get you there at opening time (9:30am). The route #11 bus does not go by the caves, You will have about a 7 minute walk from the bus route to the caves. Tour a cave (one cave); walk from the caves back to where the #11 bus dropped you. Look for a Pink Pole bus stop which is for inbound (to Hamilton) buses. Board either a route #10 or #11 bus. At the Hamilton bus terminal, board any route #7 bus. Tell the bus driver your destination is the Swizzle Inn on South Rd. Have lunch and drinks at SI. When done at SI, walk to the stop you were let off at (s/b a Blue Pole stop) and board any #7 bus with your destination being Horseshoe Bay.

Route #7 buses to the Dockyard run every 30 minutes from Hamilton on the hour and half-hour. To keep things simple, I will say that Hamilton to HSB ride by bus takes 30 minutes (actually a little less) and HSB to the Dockyard ride by bus takes 30 minutes (actually a little more). If the bus leaves Hamilton at 3:00pm it will be at HSB by 3:30pm and then at the Dockyard by 4:00pm. So you should be waiting at a Blue Pole bus stop at least 10 minutes before the hour or half-hour. Warning, not all #7 buses go to the Dockyard, but the word Dockyard s/b promimently displayed on the bus front or just ask the driver when you board.

Or you could just ignore the previous paragraph and take a taxi; and after reading what I wrote, I think I would opt for the taxi.

The question will be raised by many as to why I don’t have you take the ferry to St George on day 2. It is very simple. The first ferry to SG departs the Dockyard at 10:00am and arrives in SG at 10:40am and you would still need transportation to the caves. The way I’ve sent you by bus should have you completing a cave tour before 10:40am.

SBtS

Archived