Hotels in NY - Governors Island visit

tmpounds

We are cruising out of the Manhattan pier on September 24. We are flying to LGA on the 23rd and want to go to Governors Island the morning of the 24th before we depart. What would be some good hotels to stay at? I'm hoping we can check out of the hotel the morning of the 24th and leave our luggage there while we go to the island. We'd come back to the hotel to get our luggage and then go to the pier for a 4 pm departure.

Manhattan hotels seem VERY pricey and I'm not sure about the Brooklyn hotels. Seems like staying in NJ makes for lots of time lost backtracking for our luggage. One person in our party of six has limited mobilitiy (has trouble walking very far and with steps).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If your ship departs at 4 pm, it's likely that you will have to be at the cruise terminal no later than 2 or 2:30 (check with your cruise line for their exact requirements). Since Governor's Island opens at 10 am, and you will have to travel back to your hotel (wherever it may be) to pick up your luggage...then go from the hotel to the cruise terminal, it appears you will have little time to spend on Governors Island. You might want to rethink your plans.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, njhorseman. My dad spent time on Governors Island as a child and this is part of the trip that he really wants to do so I'm trying to work something out. We've booked at the Millenium Hilton and are planning to catch the 10:05 am ferry from Wall St/Pier 11. We only need probably 90 minutes to two hours (max) to look around. If we catch the 11:55 am ferry back to Wall St, do you think that's enough time (2 hrs) to get back to the hotel and then over to the Manhattan pier by 2 pm (ship departs at 4 pm) on a Saturday? I'm guessing we'll take a cab to and from the ferry and the ship. We have one person with limited mobility so I'm not sure if the subway is good option to catch to ferry.

Sure...you can do it in that time frame, but personally I would feel anxious about it...but that's just me. Definitely take taxis.

I also spent some time there when I was in high school...about 50 years ago. One of my high school buddies was the son of an Army officer...I think a colonel or lieutenant colonel.... stationed at Governors Island. Believe it or not, students living there attended Curtis High School in Staten Island, so he had to take two ferries in each direction every school day. He would invite me to the island and we would play golf there...if my memory serves me correctly on a short 9 hole course. I actually saw my high school buddy at a 40th class reunion some years ago...maybe he'll be at the 50th in two years.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who works at the Brooklyn Pier, may I suggest getting there early ( around 11),checking your baggage with the stevedores,and then taking a short cab ride to the foot of Atlantic Avenue/pier 6/Brooklyn bridge park (one mile from the pier in Brooklyn)..where a free ferry runs to/from Governors island approximately every 15 minutes.Cabs for the return trip easy to catch. Or just follow the pier for a mile and walk at your own pace.

You also do not need to be on the ship by 2:30. I've seen numerous people arrive between 4-4:15....and get on with ease. Especially if you have already checked your bags.

Really? :rolleyes: Not for a ship that sails at 4pm, which is when the OP's ship is scheduled to depart.

As someone who works at the Brooklyn Pier, may I suggest getting there early ( around 11),checking your baggage with the stevedores,and then taking a short cab ride to the foot of Atlantic Avenue/pier 6/Brooklyn bridge park (one mile from the pier in Brooklyn)..where a free ferry runs to/from Governors island approximately every 15 minutes.Cabs for the return trip easy to catch. Or just follow the pier for a mile and walk at your own pace.

The OP's ship is sailing from Manhattan, not Brooklyn, so your advice and directions are of no use to them.

Archived