miracle nyc passport ?

lisas414

Just booked last nite and was told that we do NOT need passports. The carnival agent told us to save the $260.00 and just bring our birth certificate and drivers license.

I thought for sure we needed passports with the new laws. Has anyone else heard of that?? They say that since we are US citizens and leaving from a US city and coming back to a US city then there is no need for a passport. I am nervous about it

As long as you are on a closed loop cruise, leaving from and returning to the same US port, you can use your official birth certificate and other gov't issued photo ID. Not that passports are a good idea, I wouldn't leave home without mine, but you can board without one. EM

Just booked last nite and was told that we do NOT need passports. The carnival agent told us to save the $260.00 and just bring our birth certificate and drivers license.

I thought for sure we needed passports with the new laws. Has anyone else heard of that?? They say that since we are US citizens and leaving from a US city and coming back to a US city then there is no need for a passport. I am nervous about it

It is strongly suggested that you bring a passport, especially in the event you do not get back to the ship before it sails and/or you have a medical emergency that requires you to be hospitalized/airlifted to a medical facility. With a passport you will be able to breeze through security; if you have your original (raised seal and all) birth certificate and driver's license, you may have a longer wait at security. If your last name on your birth certificate does not match your driver's license, then you will also need to bring your marriage certificate. Note once on the ship all you will need to show is your Sign & Sail card along with your driver's license when getting back on the ship.

The agent is correct. With closed loop cruises (starting/ending in the same US port), a photo id and official state-issued birth certificate is sufficient.

However, a passport is required for any air or land entry to the US, which is why many will recommend having a passport (technically, in an emergency situation,without a passport, the local US embassy should be able to help) in case something happens and you can't get home on the ship.

Carnival has more information here: http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

Totally agree with gadan1.

That being said I personally wouldn't leave the country without one. On my last cruise when we returned to Galveston, they were pulling everyone with DL/BC identification to the side, I have no idea why but I do know it took them longer to get out than the people with passports.

I wouldn't sail without a passport and if I leave the ship I always take it with me.

You never know what could happen.......look at the people left behind in SJ yesterday because the Victory was forced to leave port early (hours ahead of schedule) due to an approaching hurricane that may head that way. Imagine returning to port after being in town and finding the ship gone. More options are available if you have your passport in hand and you will have less worries.

Also, a passport is good to have if any medical or accident issues that may arise.

I know the initial outlay for a passport can be expensive, especially if you are a family, but once you make the investment you are set for ten years.

Sailed on the Miracle in May and just loved everything about it. HMC and Grand Turk are so relaxing. You can get off the ship and enjoy beautiful beaches/pool with comfortable lounge chairs in the sun or shade for FREE.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

The agent was correct. I've sailed 7 times now with just a birth certificate and driver's license. This was all resolved back in 2009. You can take a look at the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Final Rule here: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/whti_landseafinalrule.pdf

We have always breezed through security. In fact, when we boarded in Charleston, those with passports on our shuttle bus received more scrutiny.

dont be nervous! i have cruised without a passport it is just as easy as with one. yes if something should happen it would be more difficult, but not impossable - its not like you will left on some island forever and can never return-i would complain-.

I have a little more faith in (most parts) of our government.

the State department says its ok to use your b/c. dont let other people scare you.

The thing that bothers me is that the laws could change any day and you'd be stuck without a passport if they say you have to have one. Your cruise isn't until April 0f 2012. A lot could happen between now and then. Do you need one now...no. Will you need one in April, 2012...who knows?

To be honest getting a passport is a personal choice. However keep in mind, as a woman, that you will have to provide proof of name change(s). Starting at birth certificate through marriage certificate. This would also apply for each and every marriage. For some this can get costly especially if multiple states are involved and each certificate must be compliant with seals and issuing agencies.

When getting a passport you simply fill out the form provide your birth certificate and they do the verifying name changes.

When I applied for my passport, having gone from maiden name to married name to getting annulment and going back to maiden name then getting married and changing name to present all I needed to provide was my original birth certificate. I printed out the forms and filled out all the required information. The state dept did the research to confirm all name changes from there. Quiet simple in my opinion. (I had all the name change documents with me but only needed to provide original birth certificate)

It just seems alot easier to get a passport then to track down paper tonnage to carry around.

Can you imagine if someone was married ten times and chose not to get a passport, LOL Not to mention the cost some places charge to get certified copies the cost alone could end up costing more then a passport. Not to mention that all the paperwork in the world will not get you home if God forbid something happened.

Here are two things I have recently read from cruisers who did not have passports.

I recently read a review where the poster was injured and ended up at a local ER and missed her ship. She had no passport and was stuck there for 4 or 5 days until the US consulate could get her identified as a US citizen and get her an emergency passport.

On another forum there is a thread going on now about a woman who 'lost' her envelope with all her backing documents in it. Now she has to replace everything because she cannot renew her drivers license because her state requires seeing everything with each renewal.

To be honest getting a passport is a personal choice. However keep in mind, as a woman, that you will have to provide proof of name change(s). Starting at birth certificate through marriage certificate. This would also apply for each and every marriage. For some this can get costly especially if multiple states are involved and each certificate must be compliant with seals and issuing agencies.

When getting a passport you simply fill out the form provide your birth certificate and they do the verifying name changes.

When I applied for my passport, having gone from maiden name to married name to getting annulment and going back to maiden name then getting married and changing name to present all I needed to provide was my original birth certificate. I printed out the forms and filled out all the required information. The state dept did the research to confirm all name changes from there. Quiet simple in my opinion. (I had all the name change documents with me but only needed to provide original birth certificate)

It just seems alot easier to get a passport then to track down paper tonnage to carry around.

Can you imagine if someone was married ten times and chose not to get a passport, LOL Not to mention the cost some places charge to get certified copies the cost alone could end up costing more then a passport. Not to mention that all the paperwork in the world will not get you home if God forbid something happened.

Here are two things I have recently read from cruisers who did not have passports.

I recently read a review where the poster was injured and ended up at a local ER and missed her ship. She had no passport and was stuck there for 4 or 5 days until the US consulate could get her identified as a US citizen and get her an emergency passport.

On another forum there is a thread going on now about a woman who 'lost' her envelope with all her backing documents in it. Now she has to replace everything because she cannot renew her drivers license because her state requires seeing everything with each renewal.

You are incorrect on several items.

First off. It doesn't matter how many times a woman has been married. If she is cruising with her BC and DL, she only has to provide proof of the current name (current marriage license).... although I never did.

Secondly. If you are applying for a passport, they verify alright... after you send them all the paperwork showing name changes, etc. My first passport was in my first married name. I had to provide my BC, my divorce papers and my new marriage license to prove my new name. I just went thru this 2 or 3 months ago.

Op, while I agree its important to have a passport if you are traveling out of the country, it's not required.

you can take your marraige cert if you want, but i dont think you need it just a b/c and a d/l . every embark port is a bit different but i didn't need mine (i had it with me cause of rummers around here).

i even had my kids with me last year. they even have another last name from my married and my maiden - no probs with them.

You are incorrect on several items.

First off. It doesn't matter how many times a woman has been married. If she is cruising with her BC and DL, she only has to provide proof of the current name (current marriage license).... although I never did.

Secondly. If you are applying for a passport, they verify alright... after you send them all the paperwork showing name changes, etc. My first passport was in my first married name. I had to provide my BC, my divorce papers and my new marriage license to prove my new name. I just went thru this 2 or 3 months ago.

Op, while I agree its important to have a passport if you are traveling out of the country, it's not required.

I applied in person so that may be different then renewing by mail.

I was merely going by what was asked of me last October. All the agent took from me my BC and she copied my DL that was ALL. She did not ask for any of the other paper work I had. Of course I already had the forms filled out as I had printed them off the website.

So I would have to agree that if the passport agent fills out your paperwork then YES they would ask for the documents but only my BC was kept and returned by the state dept.

I applied in person so that may be different then renewing by mail.

I was merely going by what was asked of me last October. All the agent took from me my BC and she copied my DL that was ALL. She did not ask for any of the other paper work I had. Of course I already had the forms filled out as I had printed them off the website.

So I would have to agree that if the passport agent fills out your paperwork then YES they would ask for the documents but only my BC was kept and returned by the state dept.

I filled out all the paperwork and sent everything off to the NH processing office. I had forgotten to include my old passport, so they sent me a letter back stating they needed that too. Once they got that, it took another week or so.

Since you applied in person and I applied thru the mail, they must do things differently.

Archived