Bar Harbor local bus alternative

Orangefan

Two years ago I was getting ready for Carib. Princess N.E./Canada cruise. After much research I knew I wanted to try the local transportation instead of some of canned tours. We tendered early in the morning and docked at the bottom of Main Street. Then walked up to the top of Main Street Hill about 5 blocks up. Made a right turn on I think Mount Desert Street. There is a little park called the Village Green . On the right side there was an office that was staffed by Nat'l Park rangers. That is where we got more info on the bus loops. I know they say it is free but we didn't have a park pass since we came in by boat. The pass was $10 but if you or someone in your group is 62 they can get a LIFETIME senior pass to all national parks for $10. Since another person had the pass, a total of 4 people could go in on that pass. The local transportation is the Island Explorer ( http://www.exploreacadia.com ). After a discussion with the people at the desk,we took I think the #4 loop. The driver is just a driver and not a tour guide. However, the man we had for a driver loved to talk about his Bar Harbor area.So an ordinary ride in Acadia was a delightful guided tour. He even pointed out the summer homes of the famous like Martha Stewart. ( I don't want you to think they all do this but we lucked out.) Now there were people who got off and would catch another bus. I didn't want to take any chances of being stranded. Our 40 minute trip took 1 hour. We walked back down Main Street Hill stopping at the shops on both sides. At the bottom of the hill if you make a right turn there is a walkway near the waterfront by a lovely restaurant and hotel. The flowers were beautiful with an exquisite odor. A gentleman mowing the lawn stopped and came over to tell us about the flowers. What a treat ! Also, if you look towards the Atlantic Ocean you can get a lovely picture of the Carib Princess. If anyone is reading this, I am sorry I was so verbose. I guess I was on a roll and reliving that lovely day. Wherever your travels take you , may they bring you only the best time and wonderful memories.

Sali

This is what we did.

The first time we cruised to Bar Harbor we did Ollie’s trolley for their 2.5 hour fully narrated tour with three 15 minute stops. Loved it, but of course wished we could spend more time.

The next cruise we took the island explorer and made a few stops to hike. A fantastic day! One stop we made was to the Jordon Pond House where we had tea and popovers out on a lawn with a fantastic view. I felt like we were in a story book.

Can't beat the experience for first time cruisers taking a tour. It really does a great overview and takes you to the one site, which the name escapes me , that you can't get to by the bus. But for exploring on foot, the second time, the Island Explorer is great. I hope to go again to Bar Harbor someday and won't miss it.

The only thing that was a little tricky for us was finding the park office, but orangefan did a great job describing the location. We had to ask a shop owner if we were headed in the right direction.

You're preachin' to the choir on this one. Since I've been an active participant on this forum, I've always included as much info on the Island Explorer in my answers and recommended it as an alternative to independent tours or excursions. The downside of using IE is the lack of a route that includes a stop at the summit of Cadillac Mountain which most tourists want to see.

As long as I continue to be active on this forum, I will supply information on IE if the original questions warrants it.

SBtS

You're preachin' to the choir on this one. Since I've been an active participant on this forum, I've always included as much info on the Island Explorer in my answers and recommended it as an alternative to independent tours or excursions. The downside of using IE is the lack of a route that includes a stop at the summit of Cadillac Mountain which most tourists want to see.

As long as I continue to be active on this forum, I will supply information on IE if the original questions warrants it.

SBtS

SBtS - The route that goes Southwest - is there a stop close enough to the Bass Harbor Head Light House to be able to walk over to see it?

Also, besides Jordan Pond, are there any other stops on any of the routes that are suitable for sightseeing? Maybe small towns like Bar Harbor? Thanks.

From the bus route (route #7) to Bass Harbor L/H is about .5 miles.

For a route #5 bus, besides stopping at Jordan Pond, there is Seal Harbor Beach and Northeast Harbor.

For a route #6 bus, there is Northeast Harbor.

I think that NEH is very picturesque and worth the visit if you have the time.

SBtS

travelbig asked: ....Which stop would we make to walk to the LH, and is there a sign there to tell us which direction to walk?....

As you board the bus just speak with the driver about getting off at the Bass Harbor L/H stop, and sit near the front of the bus as a reminder. I believe there is a sign but there is only one road (to BHL) off the state road which is the bus route.

Northeast Harbor is a village with some shops and restaurants with a very picturesque harbor which includes passenger ferries to the nearby Cranberry Islands.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

The Island Explorer will not be in service when we are in Bar Harbor (Oct. 16). Do you have any suggestions as to how we could get to Acadia National Park? We would like to explore on our own, and not take a ship excursion. We thought about renting bikes...but for any of you who have been there...we are open to suggestions.

The Island Explorer will not be in service when we are in Bar Harbor (Oct. 16). Do you have any suggestions as to how we could get to Acadia National Park? We would like to explore on our own, and not take a ship excursion. We thought about renting bikes...but for any of you who have been there...we are open to suggestions.

Did you try Ollie's Trolley? We were there in mid October last year and that's who we used. Took the longer tour and it was great.

Since Island Explorer is not running at the time of your visit, I can think of 3 options to see Acadia National Park:

• do a cruise ship excursion that includes a tour of ANP. this would be the easiest.
  • hire a private taxi for a tour, one cab company that comes quickly to mind is At Your Service Cab Co - http://atyourservicetaxi.com/
  • rent a car, there are no car rental agencies in Bar Harbor so you would rent the car at the nearby airport (Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport (BHB), about 22 miles away) and arrange fro pickup and drop-off at the tender dock.

With a bike rental, you'll be limited to what you can see unless you are a regular user.

SBtS

Here is another private tour possibility:

Acadia Taxi & Custom Tours Bar Harbor and Acadia Region (207) 266-1225

E-mail: bill@acadiataxi-customtours.com

http://www.acadiataxi-customtours.com

Take a personalized tour of Acadia National Park, and/or anywhere else in a six-passenger Ford van • Ten years experience conducting tours with Oli's Trolley. Check the website for more details. Taxi service is within 50 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived