Caribbean Earthquake - FYI

Emptynesternow

This was just posted on our roll call:

a moderate earthquake rattled St Maarten and nearby Caribbean islands today, sending hundreds of jarred islanders and tourists running out of buildings.There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage from the magnitude 4.5 quake. It s…truck at a depth of 22 miles and the epicentre was located east of St Maarten, which shares a tiny island with the French territory of St Martin. The US Geological Survey said the temblor hit today around 12.30pm US eastern time (15.30 BST). It was also felt on the Caribbean islands of Anguilla, St Barts, St Kitts and St Eustatius.

I'm just going to believe that this never happened until I get back from the Caribbean. :rolleyes:

You'll have to post at least a little review when you get back. I go on the Freedom in October.

Earthquakes are something you don't usually worry about. Hopefully it's just an isolated little tremor.

a moderate earthquake rattled St Maarten and nearby Caribbean islands today, sending hundreds of jarred islanders and tourists running out of buildings.There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage from the magnitude 4.5 quake. It s…truck at a depth of 22 miles and the epicentre was located east of St Maarten, which shares a tiny island with the French territory of St Martin. The US Geological Survey said the temblor hit today around 12.30pm US eastern time (15.30 BST). It was also felt on the Caribbean islands of Anguilla, St Barts, St Kitts and St Eustatius.

YIKES!! :eek:

That would definately put a damper on the day! :cool:

A 4.5 earthquake isn't that bad.. it feels like your DH is rolling over in bed. Now if you get into the 5's and above, and they are SHAKERS rather than ROLLERS, THEN you notice them and freak out..

Since I moved to California, I've been in a bunch of them. The rollers don't bother me, but the ONE shaker we had, I freaked out and told my hubby I wanted to move!! He laughed at me, and we still live in Southern California.. :)

4.5? pfft! That would barely wake me up out of my sleep.

That would only freak anyone who had never been in an earthquake.

I grew up in the Caribbean and, yes, earthquakes are very common. So common that schools periodically practice earthquake drills.

However, as someone mentioned above, they are usually low magnitude earthquakes, so majority of them don't even make the news, and if they do, they only make the local news.

thanks for posting info--it was interesting to read.

We also experienced a minor earthquake in St.Thomas on first cruise 25 years ago while in J.H Rise liquor/china/crystal shop. Now that was an interesting place to experience a first earthquake being a midwesterner. Thankfully the building is heavy arched brick and floors, only the shelves shook. ANything more and would have ran outside--those working just seemed to look up for anything getting ready to fall- no worries as they say in the Caribbean.

Archived