In Dubai, long time from cruise ship to airport.

alidor

We will be arriving in Dubai on March 29 and be able to disembark on the 30th. We are thinking of a 1:45 am flight on the 31st. As we would not need a hotel, can anyone give us any suggestions what to do from the time we get off the ship - probably around 8:00 am or so - and the time we need to check in for our flight? I know we can get some tours, but what to do with our luggage?

Thank you.

Dubai Airport may let your check in your luggage early. I can't give you any help on that. But-Dubai is amazing. Here are some suggestions...

The Burj al Arab is fabulous. Its is also very expensive to have "tea" there. There is a hotel next door with several restaurants, an amazing "souk" which we bought beautiful souviners and a great beach we went on to get an amazing shot of us with the Burk al Arab in the background. It is called Madinat Jumeriah. Amazing.

If you want to see the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa, which I highly recommend, you can also enjoy sometime in the Gorgeous mall in the same complex. I am seen many shopping malls in my life, but this is filled with Hermes, Chanel ect and is really impressive.

Have a wonderful time!!

We will be arriving in Dubai on March 29 and be able to disembark on the 30th. We are thinking of a 1:45 am flight on the 31st. As we would not need a hotel, can anyone give us any suggestions what to do from the time we get off the ship - probably around 8:00 am or so - and the time we need to check in for our flight? I know we can get some tours, but what to do with our luggage?

Thank you.

There are left luggage facilities at the airport:

The Left Luggage facility is in the Arrivals area of Emirates Terminal 3, and can be used by both arriving and departing passengers.

Charges per bag:

• Standard bag (maximum dimensions of 21”x 24” x 11”): AED 20 per 12 hours.
  • Non-standard bag (larger than 21”x 24” x 11”): AED 25 per 12 hours.

Taxis are dirt cheap in Dubai.

To do in Dubai

Ride down Dubai Creek

Visit the very large shopping malls

Sky Slopes

Water world

Old Town

Gold Souk (best without DW)

Dubai Museum

Hoho Bus (two routes)

You could also try www.tripadvisor.com for more information.

Ron

PS With regards to left luggage, first check out the cruise terminal, I know there is a conceige service.

• 3 weeks later...

On Regent. Our cruise ends in Dubai. We get there one day but don't have to disembark until the next day so I'm thankful we'll have that extra time. We get off the ship on March 30 and our flight departs at 12:10 am. on the 31st so there is the entire extra day to spend there but we certainly didn't want to have our bags with us the whole day! Glad to here we can drop them off at various places.

Regent will transfer us to the airport so my plan is, for now anyway, is to check in the bags and take a cab back into the city.

If anyone else is familiar with Dubai please let me know.

Thank you!

Take a taxi to the creek area of Dubai and see the dhow boats loaded with goods and the wind tower houses. From there you can take the metro or a cab to Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world. The Burj is attached to the Dubai Mall which is one of the largest malls in the world. You can also enjoy watching the Dubai fountains (same people that did Bellagio in Vegas) while having dinner at one of the many outdoor restaurants. The mall also has an ice skating rink, aquarium, and gold souq. In addition, Souk al Bahar is on the property and attached via a pedestrian bridge.

The Dubai Mall is across from the metro station of the same name and is walkable but there is also a bus that goes between the two (F13 bus.) You could also take the metro from Dubai Mall to the Mall of the Emirates which has the ski slope inside. Mall of the Emirates is also near Burj al Arab (iconic sail shaped hotel.) It's not walkable so you'll need a cab but there are many available at the mall taxi stand. You need a reservation to get on the property (I usually do the tea which is quite nice) but could also visit Madinat Jumeirah next door and still get some nice pictures, shop in the souk, and have a bite to eat.

The souks mentioned are the new modern ones. The traditional spice, gold and textile souks are in Bur Dubai in the creek vicinity. Taxis here are metered and very reasonable. Drivers will understand enough English to get you where you're going.

Link below is for the RTA in Dubai which oversees public transport. March is the perfect time to be in Dubai. I hope you have a great visit with any activity you do!

http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/wps/portal

• 3 weeks later...

I believe 30 March 2012 is a Friday, in which case bear in mind that for reasons best known to the RTA, the Metro does not start operating until 2pm on Fridays.

Some suggestions (and yes, we live here):

- a trip on an abra (traditional boat) on the Creek. This also gets you down amongst it in Deira, the old part of town where the original gold and spice souks are. None of them get going on a Friday until after afternoon prayers (4-ish)

- Dubai Mall is large enough to fill your whole transit time and for dinner, strongly recommend the "Souk al Bahar" restaurants which overlook the fountains - Mango Tree (Thai) is our favourite

- "At the Top" which is the viewing platform way up the Burj Khalifa (tower) is accessed through Dubai Mall and is well worth it

- Mall of the Emirates is the one with the indoor ski slope, which is worth a look for curiosity's sake

- Madinat Jumeirah is a fake souk but has nice restaurants on the (fake) canal front and a good view of the Burj al Arab (hotel)

- a desert safari and dinner in the desert will fill the time between 3pm and 10pm, bit of an adrenalin rush followed by some crappy food and a belly dance which has nothing to do with the local culture (but everyone does it).

Or you could do what the expats do on a Friday - brunch.

Thank you for your answers - they are great. I guess we'll take our bags to the airport and take a cab back into town and do our sightseeing.

You mentioned the desert trips - what are those like? The cruise line is offering a day dune buggy trip and an evening one with dinner as you described. Glad to hear there is nothing authentic about it!

I believe 30 March 2012 is a Friday, in which case bear in mind that for reasons best known to the RTA, the Metro does not start operating until 2pm on Fridays.
Is it to allow people to go to prayers?
- "At the Top" which is the viewing platform way up the Burj Khalifa (tower) is accessed through Dubai Mall and is well worth it
If you want to do this, it's worth noting that timed tickets bought in advance are AED 100, a mere quarter of the price charged if you turn up and want a ticket to go up immediately (AED 400).

I highly recommend seeing the fountain. I'm pretty jaded by most stuff on offer in Do-buy, but was very impressed by this (cheesy though it sounds).

I've got to be out of my cabin at 8am but my flight home is not until 1.30am the following morning so I'm looking into what to do to occupy myself. I believe that Costa will keep my checked luggage and also store my ha until time for my transfer to the airport, so I will be able to explore free of luggage. I'm doing this cruise on my own and have never been to Dubai before. Am I likely to have any issues as a middled aged solo female? I much prefer exploring on my own and am well travelled and "street wise" but am conscious that organised tours are a much safer option in sone locations. Are Dubai & UAE places were solo fEmales can explore independently without major risks or should I be thinking of group activities?

All views from posters with experience of this part of the world are very welcome.

I've got to be out of my cabin at 8am but my flight home is not until 1.30am the following morning so I'm looking into what to do to occupy myself. I believe that Costa will keep my checked luggage and also store my ha until time for my transfer to the airport, so I will be able to explore free of luggage. I'm doing this cruise on my own and have never been to Dubai before. Am I likely to have any issues as a middled aged solo female? I much prefer exploring on my own and am well travelled and "street wise" but am conscious that organised tours are a much safer option in sone locations. Are Dubai & UAE places were solo fEmales can explore independently without major risks or should I be thinking of group activities?

All views from posters with experience of this part of the world are very welcome.

By all means take advantage of seeing Dubai. You will be safe as a solo female traveling around. Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive. You can even take the "pink top" cabs which have woman drivers and accept only females and families as passengers. Dubai also has an excellent new metro system that connects many points in the city. I'm not sure what your interests are but some suggestions would be to visit the old part of Dubai called Bastikiya where the original souks and museum are located along the creek. If you didn't want to be that adventurous, visit the Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world) that is attached to the Dubai Mall. Here you will also find Souk al Bahar and the Dubai Fountains. There is also a metro stop close by and if you were into shopping could take to Mall of the Emirates for more shopping and see the indoor ski slope. The metro stops right at the mall. You could also pamper yourself with tea at the Burj al Arab (sail shaped hotel) and visit Madinat Jumeirahnext door. And of course there always is the HoHo bus. Have fun!

http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/wps/portal?SwitchToLatestLocale=true

http://www.dubaisightseeing.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=5237&gclid=CIrA3Zmj6qsCFahZmAodUS5kIw

Archived