Using Birth Cert. at embarkation...

thebeas

I saw on a previous post that someone wasnt allowed on the ship at port canaveral because they only had a certificate of live birth. What are the differences if any between the two and what are the guidelines when providing a birth certificate at embarkation? Any info would be appreciated:)

You need a state issued birth certificate and, for those over the age of 16, a state issued photo ID.

I have been told on several occasions that the certificate of live birth does not have the required raised seal nor is it issued by the State Registrar that's required by the regulations set forth by CBP...

:)

The certificate of live birth is issued by the hospital and may have the baby footprints on it. You will actually need to contact the state where you were born to find out. Contact the Dept of Public Health. They can issue a certified copy with raised seal for a fee.

Here is a scenario that is going on this week. The Carnival Victory had to leave the Port of San Juan early due to the approaching Storm and orders from the Coast Guard who were closing the Port. Now San Juan is US territory so no passport is needed, however, the ship's first Port due to the storm is going to be Barbadoes. While the ship has made arrangements to get stranded passengers to Barbadoes it can only accommadate those who have passports. Those who don't have them were forced to return home and lose their cruise. Are you sure you only want your birth certificate???

Some states issue documents called certificates of live birth instead of birth certificates. If they are issued by the government and are a certified copy (a raised seal is never required, only a certified copy) then it doesn't matter what they are called. If they are not issued by the government then they are not sufficient.

Will a passport (under maiden name but not expired) and an offical marriage license be ok or should we do the raised seal birth certificate and marriage license?

Yep... that'll work fine. For folks just recently married Carnival actually recommends the wife booking using her maiden name to avoid the need for dragging about the marriage license...

:)

Here is a scenario that is going on this week. The Carnival Victory had to leave the Port of San Juan early due to the approaching Storm and orders from the Coast Guard who were closing the Port. Now San Juan is US territory so no passport is needed, however, the ship's first Port due to the storm is going to be Barbadoes. While the ship has made arrangements to get stranded passengers to Barbadoes it can only accommadate those who have passports. Those who don't have them were forced to return home and lose their cruise. Are you sure you only want your birth certificate???

I hear about that alot. I read last week that a couple missed their ship in Miami and were hoping to meet up with it in the Bahamas but they had to cancel and fly home because they had birth certificates and not passports and couldn't fly to the Bahamas to meet up with the cruise.

My young daughter asked me why she needed a passport on our upcoming cruise. I told her that if we hit traffic on our way back to the ship in Jamaica or some other fluke accident and the ship leaves without us, you'll have a hard time trying to leave Jamaica because you can't leave the country nor arrive in the USA without a passpot.

great post. this should be posted on all passport threads

Will a passport (under maiden name but not expired) and an offical marriage license be ok or should we do the raised seal birth certificate and marriage license?

Passport with the maiden name is fine. Or does your BC have your married name???

That's horrible. I would be totally devastated.

Is there a place online to keep track of storm related delays or alterations to ships?

How would one find out this info? We leave in less than 3 weeks.:eek:

Bill

I'm curious to see how that will fly. I would think Carnival would reimburse or give them a future cruise certificate. Afterall Carnival has it clearly posted that a birth certificate is acceptable.

Your documents have to match whatever name is on your booking.

If booked under married name then you can have name changed on your passport.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

As for the other posts about the RAISED seal requirement

Updated April 28, 2011

New U.S. Birth Certificate Requirement

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5401.html

In addition to this requirement, certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

Full name of the applicant

Date of birth

Place of birth

Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority

Registrar’s signature

The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year) --- this means filed within 1 year of birth

I'm curious to see how that will fly. I would think Carnival would reimburse or give them a future cruise certificate. Afterall Carnival has it clearly posted that a birth certificate is acceptable.

The sad thing is that IF they have travel insurance they will not have coverage.

I have asked several friends to look at their policies ... YEAH I was curious, LOL ... Under the exceptions section:

"Any losses incurred including but not limited to Interruptions, cancellations, diversions or delays due to INSURED not possessing required travel documents, governmental approval or identification."

I can see at the most possibly them getting future cruise discount maybe.

I bet those folks will be getting passports after this. Just saying..;)

Is this a recent marriage? What name is you cruise docs in? Cruise docs and id have to match.

The sad thing is that IF they have travel insurance they will not have coverage.

I have asked several friends to look at their policies ... YEAH I was curious, LOL ... Under the exceptions section:

"Any losses incurred including but not limited to Interruptions, cancellations, diversions or delays due to INSURED not possessing required travel documents, governmental approval or identification."

But they had the required travel docs for San Juan and the ship.

duplicate

But they had the required travel docs for San Juan and the ship.

That's what I was curious about .. the KEY word in the travel insurance is diversions

Since the ship had to leave early is was a diversion and travel insurance will not cover those pax without passports.:(

17 year olds that don't drive yet?? School Id, birth certificate? Will that work??

grrrr my pages keep messing up ...

Anyway, a school ID is NOT a govenment issued ID. The 17 yr old would need to get a government issued ID.

I know in NJ, MD and VA you can get one at motor vehicle.

Archived