Hotels in Buenas Aires help!

sailingfriends

Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Along the "port" we ate at Bice and had a great meal, but there are so many restaurants, ice cream places you go from one to the other reading the menu. Only problem we found (in '08) was smoking!!! We ate on the terrace of several restaurants and smoking was allowed. Also, seems Argentinians like their beef well done (and I mean well done) so if you like it medium, be sure to tell them pink!

We stayed at Sofitel later in our trip and liked it (altho' overpriced for what we got). There are a few restaurants under a highway, and we ate at one Italian style place (Mediterraneano I think was the name) which had the BEST SCALLOPS I've ever had in my life. We plan to go back when we're there next month. This time we're staying at Claridge even tho' some of the reviews on Trip Advisor have been negative. I popped in to look at the hotel while walking around and thought it looked very nice and in a great location.

Also, seems Argentinians like their beef well done (and I mean well done) so if you like it medium, be sure to tell them pink!.

I can assure that. We I went to the US the meat was like non cook for me...here we eat the beef black compare to you guys.

So do what delraydoll tell you.

(again exuse my mistakes in english :D)

There are a few very good choices in Puerto Madero but most restaurants are overpriced and cater to tourists and business people on expense accounts. Cabana las Lilas tops the list for average restaurants that charge premium prices.

Sorrrento, mentioned in another post, is one of the exceptions. Good choice.

Other good options:

Cabana Villeges 1050 for steak

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurante/urlredirect/nombreClave/Cabania-Villegas-6746

La Parolaccia Alicia Moreau de Justo 1052 for Italian

Happening Alicia Moreau de Justo 310 for traditional Argentine food. Grilled pork, lamb, steak, and "Sorrentinos (large Raviolli) top the list. They also have a great cheese bar appetizer.

Sotto Voce. Alicia Moreau de Justo 176 for Italian.

For a buffet that puts the buffet on your cruise ship to shame, try La Bisteca Alicia Moreau de Justo 1890.

If you are up for venturing a few blocks into the downtown area,

try El Establo, Paraguay and San Martin.

Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Along the "port" we ate at Bice and had a great meal, but there are so many restaurants, ice cream places you go from one to the other reading the menu. Only problem we found (in '08) was smoking!!! We ate on the terrace of several restaurants and smoking was allowed. Also, seems Argentinians like their beef well done (and I mean well done) so if you like it medium, be sure to tell them pink!

We stayed at Sofitel later in our trip and liked it (altho' overpriced for what we got). There are a few restaurants under a highway, and we ate at one Italian style place (Mediterraneano I think was the name) which had the BEST SCALLOPS I've ever had in my life. We plan to go back when we're there next month. This time we're staying at Claridge even tho' some of the reviews on Trip Advisor have been negative. I popped in to look at the hotel while walking around and thought it looked very nice and in a great location.

I wrote one of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, but I stayed there before rooms were remodeled so my review is no longer applicable. Also, management has changed since I was there. Back then, the lobby, exterior and bar were beautifully appointed....but most of the rooms had aging, dinged furniture. Bathrooms, while nice, were tiny. Service was wonderful and the pool area provided a nice retreat from the hustle and bustle of downtown. These days, I hope the rooms are nicer and the service has maintained its high standard.

Enjoy your stay.

seems Argentinians like their beef well done (and I mean well done) so if you like it medium, be sure to tell them pink!.

The type of beef sold in Argentina is changing as well. Argentina has enjoyed a justifiable reputation for selling high quality beef fattened on nothing but the lush grasslands of the Pampas. Grass fed beef has a distinctive taste, more flavorful than beef from cattle fattened with a diet of grain and growth hormones in a feed lot. In the past several years cattle production in Argentina has shifted away from the former as feed lots have found their way into the country. It is still possible to find grass fed beef, but you will have to look.

Oh, well. All things change. And after the third glass of Malbec from the Lujan de Cuyo region of Mendoza I cannot tell the difference.

About the practice of overcooking steak:

If you want your steak cooked rare order it "jugosa" or "vuelta y vuelta."

Medium "a punto". Pink is "rosa"

Unless you specify how you want your steak cooked it will be well done, which is "bien cocida."

Anyone familiar with the Palermo Place Hotel? It's been open less than a year, but seems to be getting some good reviews.

I don't know the hotel. A comment about the neighborhood:

Palermo is a very large neighborhood. It is divided into numerous smaller areas or zones. The Palermo Place Hotel is located in "Palermo Hollywood." Palermo Hollywood is an older area that is in the process of being brought back to life.

Gentrification is a process and the process is not complete in Palermo Hollywood. Its neighbor and cousin Palermo Soho is undergoing the same transformation but is a bit closer to completion.

There are new restaurants, boutique hotels and restored/new apartment buildings galore in Palermo Hollywood, but there are also blocks of run down, aging homes, broken sidewalks and darkened streetlights. This necessitates more caution when going out at night.

The area is not as close as some would like to the tourist attractions in Recoleta, the Plaza de Mayo, and San Telmo. Taxis are plentiful and still relatively inexpensive but 30 minute cab rides in city traffic are time consuming, taking precious time away from seeing the sites during a short stay.

On the plus side, the area is trendy, and some of the best restaurants in Buenos Aires are in Palermo Hollywood. Younger chefs are attracted by the low rent (quickly becoming a thing of the past as prices have gone up and up in the area) and the "vibe."

Bottom line: Palermo Hollywood might or might not be for you, depending upon the type of urban experience you seek. Whatever your final choice, enjoy Buenos Aires. It is a marvelous place.

• 1 month later...

Damosen, thanks for all your information. We like to stay at individually owned hotels representative of the area, not touristy chain ones and think we'll be quite pleased with The Duque. Everything I've read about it has been very positive.

We did book the Sheraton Iguazu but unfortunately after over 2 months of trying to arrange a trip to Mendoza, we gave up trying. We'll do wine tours in other ports and be content with that.

I was intrigued by your statement that as an Argentinian, you can purchase airline tickets for less than someone from the US for the identical flight. Can you tell me more?

Can anyone recommend a decent restaurant in the Recoleto District? We will be staying at Hotel Wilton on Av Callao

Here is a comment I made about eating in BA on Trip Advisor back in 2006....some things have changed since then (grass fed beef, once the norm, is harder to find as feed lots spring up)....but a lot of what I said still holds true.

"The stomach is part of the human soul. The mouth is the gateway. Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are. It's not about how much you eat but what and how you choose to do so."--Eduardo Galeano

Nowhere is Galeano's observation more true than in Buenos Aires, where food plays an important part in the daily life and cultural identity of Porteños, as local residents like to be called.

In some parts of the Spanish speaking world the word "carne" is the generic term for meat of all sorts. Not so in Argentina. To Porteños "carne" is synonomous with beef, which they proudly proclaim is the best in the world. Indeed, the grass fed beef from the Pampas produces some of the most succulent, flavorful steaks found anywhere. While vegetarians are excused, a visit to a parrilla is a must for visitors wanting a great steak and a greater appreciation of Argentine culture.

The next most popular types of restaurants in Argentina focus on Italian and Spanish cuisine, reflecting the cultural background of Porteños.

Want to do as the locals....Start your day with medialunas and espresso in a local cafe, eat lunch between one and two, and dine between 9 and 10 PM. Take time eating and enjoy "sobre mesa," or table talk.

Don't expect the waiter to rush you, even when there are people waiting for your table. Relax, enjoy a good steak (I like the bife de chorizo), washed down with a bottle of Malbec wine from Mendoza. On other nights, try an Italian or Spanish restaurant...The former serve excellent pastas and the latter serve some of the best fish dishes in Buenos Aires.

Happy eating.

OK, now let's get down to specifics. Since you did not specify a price range or type of food....I will mention two parrillas in Recoleta--one a neighborhood parrilla, the the other a more upscale restaurant regarded among the best in BA.

El Estrebe is a very good neighborhood parrilla located on Pena (ask someone in the hotel for directions if you want to walk....or take a cab. Its a short ride.

http://elestrebe.com.ar/

El Mirasol de la Recova is a more upscale option, located near the Four Seasons hotel. Some very good steaks are served here.

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurante/urlredirect/nombreClave/El-Mirasol-de-la-Recova-891

If you opt for Italian, I like two restaurants in Recoleta.....la Parolaccia and Sottovoce.....La Parolaccia is fairly close to your hotel.....but both are within easy walking distance. Again, the folks in your hotel can provide you with instructions.

In the mood for Spanish cuisine? Oviedo is in Recoleta and is one of the best in the city.

http://oviedoresto.com.ar/

For a light lunch ......el sanjuanino is famous for its empanadas... easy to get to from your hotel, straight up Callao to Posadas..where el sanjuanino is just around the corner.

If you are looking for other kinds of options, pizza and so forth....just post a question and I will be glad to offer suggestions.

If you are looking for other kinds of options, pizza and so forth....just post a question and I will be glad to offer suggestions.

dr_dawggy,

You are the most awesome ambassador for Buenos Aires!

I do have a couple of questions and would appreciate it if you would would permit me one more imposition.

My DH is Diabetic and would need to eat something between lunch and the late dinner. When we were in Sevilla, we had a problem with everything being closed in the afternoon for siesta. Is BA going to be like that or will he be able to have something light to eat between 2 PM and 9 PM?

I know we could keep something in the hotel, but we may be touring in the city. Can you recommend any places, fast-food chains, for instance, that would be open between 2 PM and 9 PM?

Thanks so much for all of your excellent advice to tourists.

dr_dawggy,

I do have a couple of questions and would appreciate it if you would would permit me one more imposition.

My DH is Diabetic and would need to eat something between lunch and the late dinner. When we were in Sevilla, we had a problem with everything being closed in the afternoon for siesta. Is BA going to be like that or will he be able to have something light to eat between 2 PM and 9 PM?

I know we could keep something in the hotel, but we may be touring in the city. Can you recommend any places, fast-food chains, for instance, that would be open between 2 PM and 9 PM?

BA doesn't close for siesta. Plenty of cafes open all hours. If you get really stuck, there are small supermarkets everywhere, or if in city centre all of the major hotels with bars etc will be open for food, drink etc.

dr_dawggy,

Thanks for your kind words. I love Buenos Aires.

As the other poster noted, BA does not really close for siesta. Many restaurants do shut down after lunch (at 2:30 or 3) and do not open again until dinner time (about 8)...but not to worry, most cafes and many restaurants remain open. You might look for a historic cafe for an afternoon snack and cup of coffee...two of the most famous are La Biela in Recoleta in front of the cemetery, and Cafe Tortoni, downtown near the Plaza de Mayo.....but there are many other cafes to choose from....not to mention the golden arches of McDonalds, which are found virtually everywhere in BA.

If you are up for it, many places offer an afternoon Tea (sometimes called Merienda)....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xecf18_la-biela-cafe-in-recoleta-buenos-ai_travel

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xecf18_la-biela-cafe-in-recoleta-buenos-ai_travel

Archived