Ventura trialling new duty free alcohol and tobacco shop

mogpie

we dont actually sail until 31st dec... but would like to know the alcohol we buy either in the duty free shop or order via steward, do we have to pay the charge to be able to drink it in our cabin... is it £5 per bottle? any help would be appreciated as this is our first p & 0 cruise and not sure, i do like a tipple in the cabin on a night.. thank you..

we dont actually sail until 31st dec... but would like to know the alcohol we buy either in the duty free shop or order via steward, do we have to pay the charge to be able to drink it in our cabin... is it £5 per bottle? any help would be appreciated as this is our first p & 0 cruise and not sure, i do like a tipple in the cabin on a night.. thank you..

Hi Bebie,

with the duty free trial I just had, you don't pay anything else other than the cost of the alcohol. Also, our cabin steward Ana made sure I had ice and lemon every night to go with my Vodka when we returned from dinner. Needless to say she got good tips for the excellent service. Long may the duty free shop reign on P&O! :)

thank you mogpie.... we will keep our fingers crossed that this trial period lasts.... ice and lemon.. perfect.. well worth a tip... i will keep checking on here to see if anybody says it is no longer available... think this site is really helpful.. could be a lot more questions on the way.. this is our 1st time on p & 0 and also 1st time to carribean:):)

Hi everyone....i did a world cruise this year on Arcadia for 4 months and i found that if you go to most of the bars on the ship itself you can buy a litre of gin or vodka for under £10 or around there which is a bargain-just ask!...i found that on the outside decks you were only allowed to drink your own alcohol once that particular bar had closed--then you were free to drink away. You can also buy the small cans of mixers off them cheaper than you can get them ashore! They did have alcohol 'saver' days when they would offer litre bottles of their spirits for around £10....but overall i think that their on board drinks are a lot cheaper than any of the bars in the UK!!!!

Gordon's Gin - 1litre - £10.00

Famous Grouse - 1litre - £15.00

Bombay Sapphire - 1litre - £12.00

Bailey's - 1litre - £15.00

Courvoisier - 1litre - £20.00

Pack of Benson & Hedges Special Filter cigarettes - £1.75

Just back off ARCADIA bombay saphire-1litre- £10:50

thank you old git (love the name by the way) but where is the price of the smirnoff vodka????? ha ha my only tipple!!!! and so could you just buy a bottle and take it to your cabin without any charge??? sounds good to me.... do you know how long this trial is set to last??? thanks...

where is the price of the smirnoff vodka????? ha ha my only tipple!!!! and so could you just buy a bottle and take it to your cabin without any charge??? do you know how long this trial is set to last??? thanks...

Hi Bebie. Smirnoff £10 per litre or 2 for £15. Yes you can take it to your cabin.....no idea how long the trial will last... forever I hope

thanks again mogpie.... my friend will be pleased to hear this as well £7.50 a bottle each and we can drink it in the cabin just sounds too good to be true!!!! long may this trial last...

I know, I thought it was too good to be true as well, but believe me it is real! Enjoy!

Hi all

Sailed on Ventura earlier in year, transatlantic back to Southampton.No duty free on this scale but had a really good wine and soft drinks package delivered by steward. This along with daily ice in cabin, with cool wine kept in fridge was an opportunity for a relaxing drink on balcony before dinner.

A big hello to Jamiedog11 who was on same cruise it was great to meet up on board. How you both doing? Any more planned.

We are booked for a long cruise next year so have allocated our allowance. It is not with Ventura so doesn't look like we will be benefiting from this experiment.

Happy cruising all.:D

Yes we too took advantage of the Ventura Duty Free Shop trial last week. Two bottles of Bombay sapphire for twenty pounds and a litre bottle each of Cointrea and Malibu for twenty five. You could mix and match any spirits so long as they were the same price. Ordered, paid and then collected the next time the shop was open.

Got talking to a crew member who said this trial was proving very successful. Illustrated by the collection queue which went around the atrium the first day. The crew member said that supplies were taken on at each port so little danger of running out.Even liked the really substantial carrier box you collected them in.

Well done P&O an excellent new scheme!

Yes we too took advantage of the Ventura Duty Free Shop trial last week. Two bottles of Bombay sapphire for twenty pounds and a litre bottle each of Cointrea and Malibu for twenty five. You could mix and match any spirits so long as they were the same price. Ordered, paid and then collected the next time the shop was open.

Got talking to a crew member who said this trial was proving very successful. Illustrated by the collection queue which went around the atrium the first day. The crew member said that supplies were taken on at each port so little danger of running out.Even liked the really substantial carrier box you collected them in.

Well done P&O an excellent new scheme!

I wonder if a corporate bean counter has gone crazy and come up with a good idea. Rather than have people bring booze aboard why don't we sell it at a price lower than any shoreside outlet and make a small profit ourselves. Form my experience the bars were not doing a roaring trade anyway and the ship pretty much went to sleep by 1am.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody know if the duty free shop on board will still be open for the 2 December 2011 14 night cruise from Barbados as I enjoy a tipple before retiring thanks.

It's still on at the moment and proving very popular!!

I'll also be one of the lucky ones on Azura sailing on Friday!!!!!!!

I've read through the thread but am a little confused (not hard I admit ;))

Could someone clarify for me the fact that they don't deliver the order to your cabin but you have to collect from the shop?

Thank you! :)

Thats right Catherine you go down to the shop to order it, cigarettes you can collect straightaway but drink you order it and it's ready for collection later. If you order by a certain time you can get it 2 hours later :)

On Ventura there were a lot of people buying items every day, is there anything in particular you want to know prices of coz i've got the price list at home with me?

Thats right Catherine you go down to the shop to order it, cigarettes you can collect straightaway but drink you order it and it's ready for collection later. If you order by a certain time you can get it 2 hours later :)

On Ventura there were a lot of people buying items every day, is there anything in particular you want to know prices of coz i've got the price list at home with me?

Thanks for the info.

We were sent a link on the e-mail to the prices on Azura.

It's not quite the same at on the Ventura and there doesn't seem to be any two for 1 offers, but the Bacardi is a good price, cheaper than the shops.

I'll take some with me to start with and then buy a litre when we get on board.

Thanks again for clarifying that for me.

• 2 weeks later...

In November 2010, we sailed on Oriana from Australia to UK - and returned in January on Arcadia. On both ships, I could purchase Gordons Gin for 10.50 UKP per litre and drink it in my cabin (was nice to enjoy a before dinner G&T). They even had "sales" occasionally whereby they then sold said Gin for 7.50UKP per litre - also for onboard (in cabin) consumption.

I thought this was standard practice for P&O UK??

Barry

In November 2010, we sailed on Oriana from Australia to UK - and returned in January on Arcadia. On both ships, I could purchase Gordons Gin for 10.50 UKP per litre and drink it in my cabin (was nice to enjoy a before dinner G&T). They even had "sales" occasionally whereby they then sold said Gin for 7.50UKP per litre - also for onboard (in cabin) consumption.

I thought this was standard practice for P&O UK??

Barry

Barry,

Read the whole thread. This is a new experiment.

Gan Canny

Dai

• 4 weeks later...

Archived