warning: Military sailing into Puerto Vallarta

love2bonboard

We just found out that Carnival changed our Panama Canal itinerary and now includes Puerto Vallarta. Well, unfortunately the military has a restriction on any active duty going into there. I called Carnival and my insurance company and neither will do one single thing about it. You know, I thought I was covered by getting insurance and doing everything right and then they say sorry we don't cover itinerary changes. It isn't the itinerary change it is the military restriction! I paid a fun saver deposit from Carnival and they would not even cover the $100.00 to change my cruise to a different one (not that we can as we are going to be moving across the country in January for another assignment). I told them that I was out flights, deposits on my shore excursion (non-refundable) and the $90 I spent on my useless insurance. She told me I could send a letter to Carnival and the airline company...gee thanks.

Anyway, really disappointed with Carnival and the insurance company I used. I will also have to eat the airline tickets, as well. Isn't military life hard enough and we get no support when stuff like this happens.

Anyway, just wanted to warn anyone else who is on active duty...check your port clearances as you cannot go into Puerto Vallarta...cancel your cruise now before you lose your deposits!!!

Okay, I also wanted to vent...don't flame me, I'm really not up for it right now.

Your airline tickets are good for up to a year minus a change fee. Make sure you exaust all your options before you go cancelling. Keep asking for a supervisor everytime you talk to someone at Carnival, go as high as you can. Use that chain of command.

Something similar happened to us. My husband talked to security about it. They sent him to a security briefing and in the end he was told to not get off the ship. So we ended up having a very relaxing day and a wonderful cruise.

You may also want to copy and paste your post to John Heald's blog and Face book account.......who knows what he may be able to do.

http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

Thanks Mike. We only have one week before final payment is due to see about getting a military clearance; otherwise if we make the final payment we lose not only the deposit, airfare, insurance cost, but we lose an additional $1,000 from paying the deposit. Typically, you cannot even get a leave clearance until just a couple weeks prior, so that kind of rules that out. I did send an email to John Healds blog asking him why he would change an itinerary where no active duty military can go into. I will see if he responds. You know, this isn't even all about the money. My husband is so stressed out with his job, I mean really stressed and he was really looking forward to this cruise.

Something similar happened to us. My husband talked to security about it. They sent him to a security briefing and in the end he was told to not get off the ship. So we ended up having a very relaxing day and a wonderful cruise.

How long ago was that?

Has he gone through chain of command to see what his options are? I think the relaxing day on the ship sounds great and if he can do this, then your cruise will be just fine.

Good Luck!

We are going to try everything. We only have a week before final payment is due. We were planning on just hanging out on the ship anyway, so that is always a good day for us!

Three years ago. Also last year when we did the Mexican riviera he went to security to let them know where we were going, and they advised him not to get off in Acapulco, but there is a bar on the pier so we went there. The warnings they will give is, not to use military ID in any port for ID, use your Passport or Drivers license. Don't wear any military clothing, like camys. As well as a few other tidbits.

Won't hurt to check with security.

Your airline tickets are good for up to a year minus a change fee. Make sure you exaust all your options before you go cancelling. Keep asking for a supervisor everytime you talk to someone at Carnival, go as high as you can. Use that chain of command.

The thing with the airline is that you have to pay $100.00 per ticket to change them, but you have to use them in a year. We are getting ready for yet another military move in January and I just don't know if we will use the airline tickets as my DH is going to be in a new job. So, if we pay $200.00 to change $600.00 worth of tickets, we may end up paying $800 if we don't use them. Ugh. This is just a mess....it could be worse, my husband is safe at home and not deployed so I will remember to be happy :o

Three years ago. Also last year when we did the Mexican riviera he went to security to let them know where we were going, and they advised him not to get off in Acapulco, but there is a bar on the pier so we went there. The warnings they will give is, not to use military ID in any port for ID, use your Passport or Drivers license. Don't wear any military clothing, like camys. As well as a few other tidbits.

Yes, we will try. Acapulco is actually just recommended not to go, whereas Puerto Vallarta is actually restricted. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all of your helpful comments.

Sorry to hear about this major issue. Question: You stated that you have the Fun Saver and you are before final payment. If you booked Fun Saver, then you can get a full refund on your cruise, before final payment. If you meant Early Saver, then I see your problem with the cancellation. Before final payment, you would loss $50 p.p. on the deposit and the remaining deposit is in a fiuture cruise credit.

I hope you can get the situation resolved in your favor. I don't have any advice other than what others have suggested.

Sorry to hear about this major issue. Question: You stated that you have the Fun Saver and you are before final payment. If you booked Fun Saver, then you can get a full refund on your cruise, before final payment. If you meant Early Saver, then I see your problem with the cancellation. Before final payment, you would loss $50 p.p. on the deposit and the remaining deposit is in a fiuture cruise credit.

I hope you can get the situation resolved in your favor. I don't have any advice other than what others have suggested.

Yes, that is true; however, we lose our flights, insurance cost and shore excursion deposit (booked privately). The deposit, minus the $100.00, we can use within 2 years. But, my warning to military is that if I had not found out about the itinerary change (I actually found out from my roll call as Carnival didn't even send me anything) after I paid my final payment, which is due next week, I would have lost everything...my deposit and the final payment. So, now I am in a dilemma ...should I pay the final payment and hope my DH gets clearance or cancel and eat the cost of the airline tickets. I don't think he is going to be able to get clearance 3 months prior to his leave request as that type of stuff is usually 2 weeks out only. I suppose I could cancel and try and rebook last minute if he can get the okay to go, but then the cruise could be sold out or at a much higher price (I got a really great price).

Really, this thread is just to warn military about making any final payments on a cruise before they can ensure they can actually get the okay to go into a restricted area.

Yes, we will try. Acapulco is actually just recommended not to go, whereas Puerto Vallarta is actually restricted. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all of your helpful comments.

As long as he doesnt get off the ship and go into port he isnt violating any orders.

Even if you guys got off in port no-one would know he's active duty Its not like he would be wearing his jungle boots and camys.

I personally know of several hundred grunts and squids that have gone into areas thay shouldnt have. I dont recommend it but i have experienced it personally

Its not a big deal.

You guys relax on the ship and enjoy your vacation. Everything will be fine

love2bonboard, we are on the cruise with you. I don't know if you saw the email about the itinerary change but the port they took away is very dangerous for travel right now so they substituted this other port.

I am ashamed to say I am still unclear on our ports. I have always wanted to do the trans-canal cruise but the cruise, not the ports so much, is the reason I am going.

Let us know how it resolves for you two. Hope to see you at a meet and greet.

As long as he doesnt get off the ship and go into port he isnt violating any orders.

Even if you guys got off in port no-one would know he's active duty Its not like he would be wearing his jungle boots and camys.

I personally know of several hundred grunts and squids that have gone into areas thay shouldnt have. I dont recommend it but i have experienced it personally

Its not a big deal.

You guys relax on the ship and enjoy your vacation. Everything will be fine

I appreciate your comments; however, it isn't that we are worried that people in Puerto Vallarta would know he is military. Rather, it is the military knowing he disobeyed and went into a restricted area. Just because some get away with it doesn't make it okay. My husband has 18 years of service and is not going to risk getting into some serious trouble for a cruise. It would be a huge deal and just not worth the risk + my DH needs to set an example...there is honor and integrity that is worth a lot more than some money lost on a cruise. I wish the restrictions were exclusive of staying on the ship and hiding out, but it would be a violation regardless.

Thanks though, I do hope it works out and everything turns out fine!

love2bonboard, we are on the cruise with you. I don't know if you saw the email about the itinerary change but the port they took away is very dangerous for travel right now so they substituted this other port.

I am ashamed to say I am still unclear on our ports. I have always wanted to do the trans-canal cruise but the cruise, not the ports so much, is the reason I am going.

Let us know how it resolves for you two. Hope to see you at a meet and greet.

I hope to see you, as well. It isn't looking good though :(

Agree! Security knows that ANY cruise can be changed at any time and go into a port that is restricted by the military. What happens if a military member is on a cruise that is forced into such a port by a hurricane? The military member would be restricted to the ship as you say! Your husband should go asap and get clearance!

No matter what happens, in the future purchase "cancel for any reason" travel insurance. As your DH is military he has increased chances of things occuring that could interfere with any type of vacation plans.

Well, we bought the insurance through a military source and thought we were covered under anything military related. I asked them....deployment, can't get off work, revoking of leave. However, the lovely insurance company says it is an itinerary change and not related to military.

Agree! Security knows that ANY cruise can be changed at any time and go into a port that is restricted by the military. What happens if a military member is on a cruise that is forced into such a port by a hurricane? The military member would be restricted to the ship as you say! Your husband should go asap and get clearance!

Yes, it is one thing to go on a ship and have the itinerary changed due to some issue; quite another to know before hand and lie on your travel leave that you are not going into Puerto Vallarta. Yes, my DH has one week to try and get a clearance. I will most definitely keep you all updated!

Archived