warning: Military sailing into Puerto Vallarta

love2bonboard

It states in the restriction that was recently updated a month or so ago that personnel can go to the restricted Mexican state (in this case Jalisco) on a cruise ship you just can’t get off the ship in that port. The military member should have access to the restriction as it had a wide distribution. I don’t have access to my military email tonight but can look for it tomorrow morning.

I've known 2 people in this exact same situation and both times they were told, and did, go on the cruise but not get off the ship. Relax a bit, it isn't as bad as it appears. He just can't get off the ship like others here have also said.

If your in the Army just go to your BN or BDE S2 and sit threw the anti terrorism briefing. Its really not the end of the world. I'm active duty Army for 14yrs and personal wouldn't bother with it. Just stay on board.

If this is the Dec 3 cruise, isn't final payment around Sept 19th? Which would give you 26 days from today to get things worked out~

Just wondering because I have a cruise booked for Dec2 and my final payment isn't until Sept 18th~ are they different for a panama canal cruise?

If this is the Dec 3 cruise, isn't final payment around Sept 19th? Which would give you 26 days from today to get things worked out~

Just wondering because I have a cruise booked for Dec2 and my final payment isn't until Sept 18th~ are they different for a panama canal cruise?

No, it is 9/4/11. I thought it was really early, as well.

It states in the restriction that was recently updated a month or so ago that personnel can go to the restricted Mexican state (in this case Jalisco) on a cruise ship you just can’t get off the ship in that port. The military member should have access to the restriction as it had a wide distribution. I don’t have access to my military email tonight but can look for it tomorrow morning.

I don't know why we can't find that. Please let me know if you find it. I am starting to feel reassured that he will be allowed to go. I guess I will pay the final payment and hope I just didn't blow $2,000.

I really appreciate all of the responses and support on this thread.

I've known 2 people in this exact same situation and both times they were told, and did, go on the cruise but not get off the ship. Relax a bit, it isn't as bad as it appears. He just can't get off the ship like others here have also said.

Thanks everyone!!!

It seems to me that you have a pretty good argument for getting a refund. You purchased the cruise and then they changed the itinerary and your husband is forbidden to go there.

If Carnival gets nasty I bet a quick call to your Congressman will solve this problem pronto!

Good luck

it's funny you said this, I was just thinking "when did the decision of Carnival out rank that of the US government". I think you have as good of an argument to get a refund as carnival does to deny it...they say NO because it is an int. change and not work related. You can argue it's not the int. change that's the issue but DHs job requirements :D

Haven't read this entire string but I would double-check that the military is saying no to any visits to port cities. Typically that covers military driving across the border...usually cruise ships are safe and the military recognizes that. If they even prohibit cruises I would still go and like others have said stay on the ship and enjoy an empty pool!

The thing with the airline is that you have to pay $100.00 per ticket to change them, but you have to use them in a year. We are getting ready for yet another military move in January and I just don't know if we will use the airline tickets as my DH is going to be in a new job. So, if we pay $200.00 to change $600.00 worth of tickets, we may end up paying $800 if we don't use them. Ugh. This is just a mess....it could be worse, my husband is safe at home and not deployed so I will remember to be happy :o

I just had to cancel going to my sister in law's bachelorette party because of something coming up in the military, so I know how the changing/canceling option for flights work. You don't pay to change the airline tickets until you actually book your next flight. Then you will be billed that cost. Otherwise you don't pay it back.

Also... I wouldn't really worry about it. Same as everyone else has said- if you aren't planning to get off there, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I've never had any problems getting my paperwork signed off, and I'm sure he won't either. Especially if he has been in as long as he has... they should know he's responsible enough to stay on board when he is supposed to.

Has his unit made the cruise port off-limits or are you just basing this off what the state department has said?

I can't add much to what everyone else has posted other than it sounds like you got some crummy insurance (not your fault...who would have known?). "Cancel for any reason" would have certainly been nice in this circumstance. :)

I can't add much to what everyone else has posted other than it sounds like you got some crummy insurance (not your fault...who would have known?). "Cancel for any reason" would have certainly been nice in this circumstance. :)

Yes, I should have got that..I didn't know about that option. I will not use this insurance company again. I love it...they said we are covered if his vacation request is revoked because he is needed back at work, but not if his vacation request is denied due to going into a restricted and unsafe area. So, they would rather pay for him being too important at work vs. being in a potentially unsafe environment. I just really hate insurance companies.

Please keep us informed of your situation and I hope you find the answers you are looking for and you can enjoy your cruise. Also, thank you for all you do in keeping us safe.

Thank you. It is looking better as there is a previous poster on here who said the restrictions were not applicable to cruise lines and that my DH would just have to stay on the ship. My DH has some time today to do some more investigating so I sure hope this works out. It would still be a bummer to have to stay on the ship, but at least we would be cruising!

Also... I wouldn't really worry about it. Same as everyone else has said- if you aren't planning to get off there, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I've never had any problems getting my paperwork signed off, and I'm sure he won't either. Especially if he has been in as long as he has... they should know he's responsible enough to stay on board when he is supposed to.

Has his unit made the cruise port off-limits or are you just basing this off what the state department has said?

It is the USNORTHCOM Commander.

I just had to cancel going to my sister in law's bachelorette party because of something coming up in the military, so I know how the changing/canceling option for flights work. You don't pay to change the airline tickets until you actually book your next flight. Then you will be billed that cost. Otherwise you don't pay it back.

Yes, but here is the thing...I had two different one-way flights from two different airlines....so, I would have to pay $400.00 in airline change fees for $600.00 worth of airline tickets. I believe with Delta you pay upfront, but I still have to look into that too, well, hopefully I don't. I will wait and see if the military has exempted cruise lines from this restriction and then I will start with all the airline cancelations, shuttle cancellations, excursion cancellation, hotel cancelation...ugh.

Haven't read this entire string but I would double-check that the military is saying no to any visits to port cities. Typically that covers military driving across the border...usually cruise ships are safe and the military recognizes that. If they even prohibit cruises I would still go and like others have said stay on the ship and enjoy an empty pool!

That is what we are hoping for, but 2 years ago we had the same thing happen to us on our Baltic cruise. My DH was not allowed to go into Russia w/o a Russian visa and as you know, most cruisers don't get visa's because they are covered under the blanket of the cruise line. Well, we didn't know until 2 weeks prior to the cruise that the cruise "blanket" doesn't cover military. So, we were not allowed to go into Russia or Russian waters as it was too late to get visa's. We ended up having to disembark at the port immediately before St. Petersburg and then catch the ship again, two nights later, at the next port. It was a huge hassle to get the cruise line to agree, but it worked out okay. It was a nice cruise, but honestly stressful about getting back to the ship (you know ships can miss ports) and getting stuck there.

Then, last year my DH was trying to do the Panama Canal cruise, but his unit was doing an emergency exercise and he was not able to go...so, I ended up taking his mother. That turned out okay.

So, we are a little burned out on all of this. I told my DH that we are not going to plan one single cruise again until he is retired from the military (3 years).

it's funny you said this, I was just thinking "when did the decision of Carnival out rank that of the US government". I think you have as good of an argument to get a refund as carnival does to deny it...they say NO because it is an int. change and not work related. You can argue it's not the int. change that's the issue but DHs job requirements :D

Yes, I tried that twice with my insurance company and the answer is a big no.

We are still hopeful to be able to cruise. My DH is going to try and get more info on this restriction. He read the restriction, but someone on this post said there is a followup email that states cruises are exempt as long as the military personnel stays on the ship. We are now trying to find that email. We just want to make sure he can go before we make final payment and risk losing the entire $2,097.

If you find it, would you kindly email it to me: mjfeaster at yahoo dot com

Thanks!

Archived