Special Food Requests.........Have You ever Requested????

sail7seas

Has anyone ever called Seattle prior to boarding a ship and made a special request for a food item.....to ask that they be sure to have something special you really want? If so, did they accomodate you? What was the item?

I would LOVE to request they have WHOLE WHEAT PASTA at the Pasta Station as a regular thing they offer. Instead of all the white pastas, many of us would be thrilled to find Whole Wheat.

What do you think? Any chance it could happen?

I, also, much prefer whole wheat pasta and 100 percent whole wheat breads - not just brown breads - but real 100 percent whole grain whole wheat.

Those who like white breads should also be accommodated, of course, but give us the choice.

It could be cost effective for HAL. I think whole wheat pasta and breads could lead to longer active lives for their customers. That means many could take more cruises for a longer time. (What, you think the average pax age is too high now? Just wait!)

It appears the cruise line is trying to accommodate a low-carbohydrate lifestyle/diet in some of its menu items -- at least that was my perception on my cruise last fall on the Oosterdam.

One would think the company would be receptive to the whole wheat pasta suggestion.

I think it would be worth investigating further.

Great idea. Sail, will you be the guinea pig and try for all of us? susan.

I think my chances of success may be slim to none but do think I'll try. Doesn't hurt to ask????

I think my chances of success may be slim to none but do think I'll try. Doesn't hurt to ask????

We were trained at a previous position I held to always ask for the reservation/business/etc. If you don't ask, you don't get. You might not anyway, but at least you will have tried.

It has served me well, both in my professional life and my personal life :)

Well, that settles it for me. :) As the time for us to board gets closer, I shall call and see if I get lucky. If I don't, then when we are aboard for two weeks, I will regret not having tried.

I just called Ship Services and was told they do serve whole wheat bread, and if I would like to assure they had whole wheat pasta, I would need to fax a request to Ship Services @ 1-800-207-3547.

I told the young lady that I understood they had brown bread, but not whole wheat bread. She suggested including a request for whole wheat bread just to be on the safe side. Then once we board, to check with the Matrie D' to assure it would be available.

If enough people requested and actually ate these items, it may just become one of the main staples of the cruise lines.

I always say "nothing ventured, nothing gained". It certainly can't hurt to call. They may just surprise you:D . It's not as if you're asking for something highly unusual.

On a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago there was a vegan dining at our table. She was very nice about it, but made her wishes very clear. They made up a special dish for her every single night. If it wasn't to her liking it went back and they tried again. I was so impressed and amazed by some of the extraordinary dishes they prepared just for her.

I'll be very interested in their response.

Joyous...

That's great. As our cruise nears, I will do as you suggest. I'll call and Fax my request for whole wheat bread and pasta. It really makes a considerable difference in my enjoyment. It isn't that it would kill me for 2 weeks to eat the other 'stuff', it is just that it is not as healthy, not what we are accustomed to and, for us, the whole grain/whole wheat tastes so much better.

I agree that if a growing number of folks request it (and consume it if it is offered), it will be added to what they serve. The prices aren't much different when bought wholesale and in quantity. So, if alot of people want it, they may accomodate us.

It is great to have the healthy lifestyle food to enjoy and be good.

I'd feel less guilty then when I have some naughty food.

It is not even me, it is my husband that I am thinking about!

I'll also call and fax the WW request in May for our June cruise.

The prices aren't much different when bought wholesale and in quantity. So, if alot of people want it, they may accomodate us.

S7S--

I assumed that all the breads and pastas served on board were made right there on the ship?

Never had a problem getting Lobster Tails when you want them for dinner.Just ask your captain the nght before.They never have whole lobsters.As far as fish also ask for it,if they have you will get it.You just have to dig a little deeper in your pocket .LOL

I assumed that all the breads and pastas served on board were made right there on the ship?

bepsf,

Well then they would still have to get the whole wheat flours.

I'm not sure how much bread or pasta is made on the ship.

Brian.....

Ya' know what.....you're right. They do bake the breads aboard. I actually saw them getting the dough ready for some breakfast pastries when we were given a very special, private tour of the galley and storage areas. I wasn't thinking when I wrote the price wouldn't be much different.

Whole wheat flours/whole grains aren't any more costly.

Brian.....

Ya' know what.....you're right. They do bake the breads aboard. I actually saw them getting the dough ready for some breakfast pastries when we were given a very special, private tour of the galley and storage areas. I wasn't thinking when I wrote the price wouldn't be much different.

Whole wheat flours/whole grains aren't any more costly.

S7S...they do make the breads for the dining room on the ship. Not sure about some of the Lido sandwich breads or the hamburger buns by the Pool area.

My understanding is that they use commercial dry pasta...Barilla was mentioned the last time I asked.

Thanks for bringing this up. Next time we cruise am going to request whole wheat pasta.

Archived