TIPS & Things To DO FROM A KEY WEST LOCAL

KeyWestLocal

I will be traveling with my DH and 3 kids. What is there to do with a 7 year old daughter and twin 4 year old boys? We will have a double stroller with us but it is rather small, folds to a single size stroller. Just wondering if it is possable for the on/off train because 1 of my twins is a major train lover..any other ideas would be great. FYI we arrive at 7AM and leave at 2PM :mad: My kids all enjoy just being outside and my 7 year old enjoys learning about the historical significance of different places but not in a "museum" type atmosphere..they also all enjoy taking in scenery (I know weird for kids but they love these type of things). As an example, when in disney world they enjoy epcot with all the "countries" and fountains more than they do the rides and characters at MK.

We are thinking about booking a cruise in January that stops in Key West.

Can you local guys give me an idea on what to expect as far as temps, etc?

January temps are very hard to predict. Normally, it should be in the 70s. However, northerly cold fronts come through about every other week and dip the daytime temps down in to the 60s and sometimes 50s for a couple days. Odds are you'll have the warmer weather, but realize what is possible.

The Conch Train would be good if the kids like historical information. BUt it is rather long. However they do stop mid-way so you can use the bathroom and get ice cream. There is an AMAZING new toy store in the Clinton Mall on the top floor (there is also a free informational film that teaches people about the keys.) The aquarium is small but great- the "shows" are the best part. It is so cool to see the nurse sharks feeding and almost jump out of the water, plus my kids love to hold the sea cucumbers and other sea creatures. This is all in the same area...

What would be some of the "Must shop" places in Key West?

Peppers of Key West ---> http://www.peppersofkeywest.com/

Kermit's Key Lime Shoppe ---> http://www.keylimeshop.com/

Fast Buck Freddie's ---> http://www.fastbuckfreddies.com/

Beasme, Besame Mucho ---> http://besamemucho.net/index.htm

Pjk

• 4 weeks later...

My husband has some mobility issues and can not walk long distances without stopping frequently. We plan to take the trolley to do sightseeing around the area.

Can you tell me if there are golf carts or anything that transports cruise passengers to the port area from the ship. If not, how long a walk will it be and are there benches where you can sit along the way.

We will be there in Jan. on the Carnival Valor.

I, too am looking forward to Key Lime Pie... yum, yum !

Sebago is a good time. My kids have gotten Sabago gift certificates and it is fun. They offer lots of free beverages all equipment and an entertaining staff. They take you to a reef not far off of Key West. It is a good time. Sabago pretty much corners the market in snorkling trips in KW. It is reasonably priced and you cant beat it. We always have blast! But the VERY VERY best snorkling off the coast in the US....hands down is........Looe key!!! Looe Key has the best snorkling in the area but it is about a 30 minute drive north of Key West. I looked on line and found that the Key West Dive Center takes people up there. It is worth the drive......I am sure other comanies tae people up there too! The reef is one of the most beautiful reefs I have ever seen in my life.

There is a Starbucks on Duval..other than that...I am not sure

Thanks, just what I was looking for. We are bringing our camper and staying at Bahia Honda SP. and are looking for the best snorkeling and catamaran trip.

Joni

Thanks, just what I was looking for. We are bringing our camper and staying at Bahia Honda SP. and are looking for the best snorkeling and catamaran trip.

Then you chose wisely. Looe Key is almost directly off shore from my house and I'm very lucky to be so close to the Keys' best diving/snorkling. You are going to love it. In fact, I think it's better than many places I've snorkled in the Caribbean.

Then you chose wisely. Looe Key is almost directly off shore from my house and I'm very lucky to be so close to the Keys' best diving/snorkling. You are going to love it. In fact, I think it's better than many places I've snorkled in the Caribbean.

Thanks, any other must do's? We will be in the keys for 9 days and also looking at a short cruise out of Miami while there.

Joni

Thanks, any other must do's? We will be in the keys for 9 days and also looking at a short cruise out of Miami while there.

For dinner, I suggest Barracuda Grill in Marathon and Square Grouper on Cudjoe Key. Barracuda is great and won't break the bank and Square Grouper is more expensive, but excellent. The Wharf on Summerland Key is also pretty good.

For a short cruise out of Miami, I suggest the Majesty of the Seas. You'll love Coco Cay and the crew on board is one of the best in cruising.

My husband has some mobility issues and can not walk long distances without stopping frequently. We plan to take the trolley to do sightseeing around the area.

Can you tell me if there are golf carts or anything that transports cruise passengers to the port area from the ship. If not, how long a walk will it be and are there benches where you can sit along the way.

We will be there in Jan. on the Carnival Valor.

I, too am looking forward to Key Lime Pie... yum, yum !

You can rent either a Mobility ScooterFrom Island Comfort Mobility http://www.islandcomfortmobility.com/About_Us.html ) or Electric Cars from http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/ and I am pretty sure they can deliver them to you at the dock.

Aquahound,

Can you help me with shuttle/bus service around Key West?

We are staying at the Best Western Ambassador hotel out by the airport. Will be there for 3 days/2 nights. Would prefer to just let the car at the hotel the entire time and take other transportation around Key West. I have heard others talk about the trolley's, but we really are not interested in the tour part, more just something to get us from hotel to Duval St, etc.

Any suggestions??

Aquahound,

Can you help me with shuttle/bus service around Key West?

We are staying at the Best Western Ambassador hotel out by the airport. Will be there for 3 days/2 nights. Would prefer to just let the car at the hotel the entire time and take other transportation around Key West. I have heard others talk about the trolley's, but we really are not interested in the tour part, more just something to get us from hotel to Duval St, etc.

Any suggestions??

The Best Western is one of the Old Town Trolley stops. The same person who owns the hotel owns the trolley tour. It might be worth looking in to whether or not you get a special deal for being a guest at the hotel. It might be a good option for going downtown from the hotel. In the opposite direction, you may have to just take a taxi, or pick the trolley up from a stop preceding the hotel. The hotel is stop number 8 on this map:

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/mallory-square.asp

You can rent either a Mobility ScooterFrom Island Comfort Mobility http://www.islandcomfortmobility.com/About_Us.html ) or Electric Cars from http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/ and I am pretty sure they can deliver them to you at the dock.

Thanks for the suggestions. How long a walk is it from the ship to the City Trolley ? The only concern is the length of the pier. Once we reach the trolley, he'll be fine.

We encountered the pier in Roatan that was VERY long and the walk to our excursion point was extremely long also. Now I try to anticipate what we will encounter.

Any photos of the port area ? Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. How long a walk is it from the ship to the City Trolley ? The only concern is the length of the pier. Once we reach the trolley, he'll be fine.

We encountered the pier in Roatan that was VERY long and the walk to our excursion point was extremely long also. Now I try to anticipate what we will encounter.

Any photos of the port area ? Thanks.

Here are photos taiken from the ship. According to the cruise ship calender, you will be at Pier B, which is this one. It's a very short pier (more of a wharf than a pier).

2135189690080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2927569790080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived