Which Holland America Ship is best for Alaska?

csaeroach

Hi;

I am looking at booking a cruise in Alaska, and wondering which is the best ship to do this on with Holland America?

I am currently looking at Volendam as it seems this ship is one of the first to sail in May 2012, and we are interested in sailings with Glacier Bay. We would love to book a balcony, but this ship only has balconies in the Suite category which are to expensive for us, so looking at booking an oceanview.

Is one ship better then the other, or they all basically the same? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Please help! :confused:

If you want Glacier Bay and want to sail out of Seattle then you will need to choose the Westerdam for 2012. If you are willing to cruise out of Vancouver that does give you more options to go to Glacier Bay but....as Brian stated if you want a balcony the best pricing will be found on a Vista Class ship because balconies on the other ships are considered a type of Suite. With that being said for Vancouver it would be the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver. Volendam will definitely be more expnsive for a balcony compared to the Westerdam and Zuiderdam

I haven't been on HAL yet, but I've been to Alaska 4 times and am thinking about trying HAL next year. For Alaska, the suggestion is usually to choose the itinerary you want first, then consider the ship. One way or round trip? Seattle or Vancouver? What ports or glaciers do you want to see? Do you want to add a land tour on one end?

For me, I live in the Seattle area and I'm on a budget, so I prefer a round trip out of Seattle for convenience and economy. I also looked at some round trips out of Vancouver. I've never been to Sitka, so I considered the Westerdam or Oosterdam out of Seattle. Westerdam does Glacier Bay next year, which I prefer. So, by process of elimination, I am considering the Westerdam next year. I've been reading info about HAL and the Westerdam, and I can't see any reason I wouldn't want to choose this ship. I chose it because the itinerary fits my preferences best, not for the ship itself.

I haven't been on HAL yet, but I've been to Alaska 4 times and am thinking about trying HAL next year. For Alaska, the suggestion is usually to choose the itinerary you want first, then consider the ship. One way or round trip? Seattle or Vancouver? What ports or glaciers do you want to see? Do you want to add a land tour on one end?

I agree. Decide on your itinerary first. We loved the 14-day Alaska itinerary. For 7-day, we prefer to sail to and from Vancouver but we also love to visit Hubbard Glacier and Sitka.

Another consideration for Alaska on HAL is whether you want an Inside Passage cruise or not. The Seattle departures will have the first full day and last full day sailing west of Vancouver Island...basically open ocean sailing. The Vancouver departures will have scenic cruising through the Inside Passage. The 14 day Alaska cruises aboard the ms Amsterdam, through the 2011 Alaska season, cruised from Seattle through the Inside Passage, but that will change in 2012.

I've cruised both the inside passage and the outside passage and while they are different from each other it really is a personal choice.

I've seen whales breaching along the west side of Vancouver Island as compared to the closeness of the inside passage, but very limited, or no whale activity until you get to Stephens Passage (which outside ships come in for--depending on the itinerary).

I've seen huge schools of Pacific white sided porpoises in the outside passage and yes, I've gone on a rock and roll ride with the waves that come from Japan and on other days barely moved with water like glass............just depends on what you like and are willing to face on the trip--there are no guarantee's on any cruise.

And yes, the prices are usually lower and sometimes dramatically lower from Seattle. Just take everything into consideration and make a choice you can live with----even though cruising caters to most 'needs'....you can still find adventure! Enjoy your trip!

For me, I live in the Seattle area and I'm on a budget, so I prefer a round trip out of Seattle for convenience and economy. I also looked at some round trips out of Vancouver. I've never been to Sitka, so I considered the Westerdam or Oosterdam out of Seattle. Westerdam does Glacier Bay next year, which I prefer. So, by process of elimination, I am considering the Westerdam next year. I've been reading info about HAL and the Westerdam, and I can't see any reason I wouldn't want to choose this ship. I chose it because the itinerary fits my preferences best, not for the ship itself.

For my wife and I, we chose the ship first and the itinerary secondary in May of 2009. We first sailed on the Westerdam in February 2009 and hated to get off this wonderful ship. We decided to get back on her as fast as possible and 89 days later we found ourselves heading to Alaska. That was our best Alaska trip, and we loved the town of Sitka.

We were again on our favorite ship, the Westerdam, in May of this year.

It's nice your considering your hometown cruiseline.

Itinerary than ship. We want to go to Hubbard Glacier so looking at the Amsterdam. We have already been to Glacier Bay from Seward to Vancouver.

We also have the issue that we said we would never go back to Alaska without a balcony but the balconies on the 14 day itinerary start at 5K per person before taxes and port fees so considering an Ocean View on the lower promenade deck for easy access to viewing. We would pay the balcony fare 10K plus for two for a really unique itinerary but I don't think we will do it for our "second" yearly vacation.

Btw, you have made a great choice choosing HAL for Alaska. We would not go on any other line.

For my wife and I, we chose the ship first and the itinerary secondary in May of 2009. We first sailed on the Westerdam in February 2009 and hated to get off this wonderful ship. We decided to get back on her as fast as possible and 89 days later we found ourselves heading to Alaska. That was our best Alaska trip, and we loved the town of Sitka.

We were again on our favorite ship, the Westerdam, in May of this year.

It's nice your considering your hometown cruiseline.

We loved Westedam too, and I thought the only one on this board who preferred Westerdam to Noordam. I love the green ceiling in the MDR more than on any other ship.

Thanks to everyone for posting. Greatly appreciated.

We have decided to go with the Volendam in oceanview cabins, as we like the fact this sailing is May 2 and we can take our daughter as a college graduation gift before her graduation on May 17th. Most of the sailings did not work around this date and we really wanted to go in May, so this one seems to be the right fit for us. Hope we made the right choice.

thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone for posting. Greatly appreciated.

We have decided to go with the Volendam in oceanview cabins, as we like the fact this sailing is May 2 and we can take our daughter as a college graduation gift before her graduation on May 17th. Most of the sailings did not work around this date and we really wanted to go in May, so this one seems to be the right fit for us. Hope we made the right choice.

thanks so much!

I think you have made an EXCELLENT choice. The Volendam is a fine ship and I prefer her to ANY Vista Class ship.

Hi

I was on 14 day Amsterdam while it did not go Glacier other ports were outstanding. the thing about a 14 day is if it raining in one port you might have a great day in other. Meaning one rain day out of 7 than one out of 14, Plus the trip was outstanding

Another consideration for Alaska on HAL is whether you want an Inside Passage cruise or not. The Seattle departures will have the first full day and last full day sailing west of Vancouver Island...basically open ocean sailing. ... The 14 day Alaska cruises aboard the ms Amsterdam, through the 2011 Alaska season, cruised from Seattle through the Inside Passage, but that will change in 2012.

Hello, "fsdj1097."

Just to make sure we understand this ...

Are you saying that, starting in 2012, the Amsterdam will be sailing in "open ocean" instead of using the "Inside Passage," as in 2011 (and previous years)? If so, are you able to say why this change is being made?

Thanks, in advance.

Archived