Shopping - Cruisewear & Every-Day Clothing

Iluvmypuggle

Hi ladies.. Just stopping in for a minute. No power in northern nj and quite a bit of flooding nearby. I look forward to reading your posts once our electric, Internet, etc is back to normal. I'm on my phone now but battery won't allow me much time on here. Hope to be back soon!

I really like that idea of wearing a dress to dinner every night. I think I'll do that next time. We have a 14 day to Hawaii in the fall, with lots of sea days, so that would work. I always feel a little seedy showing up in the MDR after a shore day with my hoodie on. (DH loves the MDR and will eat nowhere else.) And I'm about to retire (2 weeks!!!!) so I won't be wearing the office stuff as often, so wearing skirts to the MDR will give me more use of the retiring work wardrobe.

I agree about Garnet Hill. Great catalog! This thread is so inspirational!

I have a pretty large cruise wardrobe. I wear dresses every night to dinner, so my collection has gotten pretty large...!:D

mine too and i am ALWAYS in a Cruise Shopping Mode no matter when my cruise is--i take very little with me that comes from my everyday closet.

i have a 2 week this December and 3 weeks next and this cruise is a "trial" for next year--but will pretty much be packing for the 2 weeks--i really LOVE something different every night, but i have always been that way, even on other vacations--changing a couple of times a day not wearing the same things--but i will try for next year;)to pack a little lighter than normal!

i shop every two weeks which can include getting a little something for my upcoming cruise.

just got some new flip-flops, maxi dress, tops and capris and wraps--well least i have alot to choose from.

I leave in 12 more days! I keep telling myself that I don't need anymore cruise clothes but I cant help myself. Summer clothes are marked down so much right now. Yesterday I picked up a really cute pair of white sandles marked down from $45 to $10 bucks. How can I pass that up?

Reading the responses I have to say it can be regional. I live in So. Ca. So I don't purchase day wear for a cruise only since I can wear shorts and short sleeved tops nearly year round. Every fall I do find I envy those who can break out the pretty sweaters.

So my "cruise clothes" would have to be the cocktail dresses I'll purchase for a cruise. I find such great deals (usually $30 or less) that I have some with tags still attached, so I haven't shopped fir any of those lately.

I work a second, part time in a nice mall, so even though I don't shop often I'm pretty aware of what is out there. What I can tell you is that almost all malls are the same, same stores, same merchandise. I also can tell you that outlet malls hold few real sale prices, department stores have better bargains. I frequent Nordstrom and have a Nordstrom outlet close by. The outlet does not carry very much of the same merchandise as the regular store, I think they have special purchase there. I have purchased items from the regular store @ the same price as the outlet, when I do find the same things. By that time the stuff is picked over, sometimes a bit shop worn.

I know the store I work in will have deep discounts on sale items before we ship it to the last chance outlet stores. The outlet stores then mark the price back up to what our first markdown was.

Moral of the story is, if you find something you like real well, wait a couple weeks, Typically the price will go down. Many stores will find the piece for you if they don't have it in stock, even if it is on sale

Ask for coupon deals, the store clerks can sometimes give you a deal just for perhaps getting onto the email list.

Don't think you get the best deals online, especially once you add in shipping costs.

Many stores will price match, know your prices.

Reading the responses I have to say it can be regional. I live in So. Ca. So I don't purchase day wear for a cruise only since I can wear shorts and short sleeved tops nearly year round. Every fall I do find I envy those who can break out the pretty sweaters.

So my "cruise clothes" would have to be the cocktail dresses I'll purchase for a cruise. I find such great deals (usually $30 or less) that I have some with tags still attached, so I haven't shopped fir any of those lately.

I work a second, part time in a nice mall, so even though I don't shop often I'm pretty aware of what is out there. What I can tell you is that almost all malls are the same, same stores, same merchandise. I also can tell you that outlet malls hold few real sale prices, department stores have better bargains. I frequent Nordstrom and have a Nordstrom outlet close by. The outlet does not carry very much of the same merchandise as the regular store, I think they have special purchase there. I have purchased items from the regular store @ the same price as the outlet, when I do find the same things. By that time the stuff is picked over, sometimes a bit shop worn.

I know the store I work in will have deep discounts on sale items before we ship it to the last chance outlet stores. The outlet stores then mark the price back up to what our first markdown was.

So it isn't just my imagination that outlet stores don't offer good prices! I swear they used to, but not in the last 5-10 years.

So it isn't just my imagination that outlet stores don't offer good prices! I swear they used to, but not in the last 5-10 years.

The last two places I've lived have been near outlet malls and I've had a jcpenney outlet. A good portion of the outlets have entirely different buyers then the actual retail stores do, so they stock different things. (Like you will find coach bags in the coach outlets that are made specifically for the outlet.) I like the outlets, but sometimes I do question how much of a "bargain" I am getting. The quality can be good at times or sometimes its sub par and I can tell thats why it is priced so low. Mostly for me its more about finding something I like at a decent price.

Since retiring I've gotten bad and now buy most of my clothes and shoes at Kohl's - I shop everywhere and will buy clothes from other stores when I absolutely fall in love with them. The clothes aren't going to last that long but I really don't care since I'm not paying that much for them. Since I'm not expecting them to last more than a year or two I'm buying more fashion forward and getting away from the classics.

Archived