Shopping - Cruisewear & Every-Day Clothing

Iluvmypuggle

My cruise is coming up in a few days and I've been shopping so much more in preparation for my days at sea.. Bathing suits, jeans, shoes, tops, etc. I think shopping for vacation is more fun than just shopping in general so once I wear all of my new things for a cruise, then they join the rest of my wardrobe.

I read the other day in Self magazine: "Women who shop at least five days a week outlive equally healthy nonshoppers, the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health finds. (Whether you buy anything is immaterial.) Credit the exercise, stimulation and companionship." :)

So my questions to you ladies are:

*How much shopping does it take to prepare for your cruise?

*How often do you shop in general?

I only shop if I need something...not "for fun" or "health" or a cruise! What you have in your closet is probably just fine....it's a vacation, not a fashion show! No one will have seen ANY of your clothes, so they're new, as far as anyone is concerned (and to be honest, no one is concerned at all....you are unlikely to be noticed by others!!!)

I don't have a "cruise wardrobe" or "vacation wardrobe"....

I only shop if I need something...not "for fun" or "health" or a cruise! What you have in your closet is probably just fine....it's a vacation, not a fashion show! No one will have seen ANY of your clothes, so they're new, as far as anyone is concerned (and to be honest, no one is concerned at all....you are unlikely to be noticed by others!!!)

:rolleyes: Well I have a cruise wardrobe, and a work wardrobe. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. For some people pre-cruise clothes shopping is part of the fun of a cruise.

OP -- I now don't usually need to shop for cruises, having a pretty darn "tasty" cruise wardrobe. Took me a while to get there, but now I go to my "cruise closet" and choose the things that will work for our itinerary and planned activities. Occasionally I will need to buy new t-shirts, then my old cruise t-shirts join my work wardrobe. The last time I made a "major" purchase was about 18 months ago, I think.

As for how often I shop in general? When I lived in a city and worked downtown, I'd shop every work day. Not to purchase, for recreation, stress release, exercise. Now, I do all my shopping at our local thrift store so when I am looking for a specific item I stop in probably 3 times/week. If I need stylish shoes I'll make a special trip to a city for them, and plan to spend alllllllllllllllllllllllllll day finding them :)

I have a "semi-cruise wardrobe" which includes formal items I wear only when cruising. I shopped long and hard to find those items, and I chose things that are pretty basic (mostly black) so they won't go immediately out of style.

Everything else I take is just out of my daily wardrobe since I usually wear the same sort of things I wear on cruise (hoodies, khakis, etc.) I live in a mild climate, so I don't have lots of winter coats, etc. However, if shopping is half the fun of cruising, I say go for it!

What you have in your closet is probably just fine....it's a vacation, not a fashion show! No one will have seen ANY of your clothes, so they're new, as far as anyone is concerned (and to be honest, no one is concerned at all....you are unlikely to be noticed by others!!!)

I'm sorry cb at sea but I just can't agree with that. We usually choose to cruise to warm climates but live in the North of England which never gets that hot, even in Summer. I have to have a separate wardrobe for cruising with sundresses, t-shirts, shorts, swimwear etc. Also, although we go out a lot at home we tend to dress casually so we wouldn't normally wear tux / evening dress.

I really don't dress to please other people on the cruise - just myself and my OH. I love wearing new clothes and it's great getting dressed up for dinner especially something new on formal evenings. For me, one of the reasons I love cruising is spending the weeks before it, planning and looking forward to it...... and shopping for clothes! You don't even have to go to the shops these days - new clothes are just a click away - LOL!

I guess you don't like shopping cb.

I'm not really concerned about whether others notice me - that wasn't what I was asking.

I'm cruising with my SO and enjoy dressing up for dinners & drinks because it makes me feel good and it gives my SO something nice to look at.

I have a "semi-cruise wardrobe" which includes formal items I wear only when cruising. I shopped long and hard to find those items, and I chose things that are pretty basic (mostly black) so they won't go immediately out of style.

Everything else I take is just out of my daily wardrobe since I usually wear the same sort of things I wear on cruise (hoodies, khakis, etc.) I live in a mild climate, so I don't have lots of winter coats, etc. However, if shopping is half the fun of cruising, I say go for it!

That's a good idea to have some items that are basic and meant for cruises - especially if you cruise often.

And yes, I think shopping is half the fun of trips! :D

CowPrincess - That must be fun to "shop" in your cruise closet when the time comes around! Once I wear my new vacation clothes, I add them to my main wardrobe, but maybe one day I will have a cruise closet also!! That may require some construction to my home though... :p

In regards to working in the city & shopping often - you can't help but look because there's so many good things!! Sometimes I miss that about working in the city.

And speaking of shoes, I found 2 really cute pairs at DSW this morning - I'm leaving for my cruise on 9/3 and this hurricane is not going to interfere with my cruise clothes!!

Tartanexile - I agree that part of the fun of cruises/vacations is planning them and looking forward to it! I even play calypso music a couple times a few days before the trip to get into the cruise spirit..

I know you said you like dressing for formal night - One of the things I like about formal night is seeing all the different dresses/outfits that everyone is wearing... I have one dress picked out for my cruise next week, but haven't decided what else is coming from my closet since I didn't really find a new dress that I loved, but that's ok.

Thx for your posts, ladies.

I've done a bit of shopping for this cruise, but this makes the second four nighter I've done and I'm planning on the next cruise to be a seven nighter. So, I should be able to do well since I've built up my wardrobe a little! Today I've been shopping on e-bay for costume jewelry to go with outfits that I already have. I wear scrubs every day to work, so when I'm on vacation, I do like to dress up a little!

I definitely have cruise clothes. I never have a chance to wear long

dresses here at home. Some are formal and some medium formal;)

but I could never wear them to work:eek:

cb, I have never asked this but will now after reading your reply. Why

does it always sound like you are mad? Or angry?:( It is a fashion

forum and most of the folks do enjoy shopping and do find it

fun.:D

To the OP, yes, I have a semi-cruise wardrobe. My office is very

casual. I mean go to work looking clean and neat but many of my

dresses are not what I consider work clothes and when I wear

silk slacks on the cruise, I will wear a very dressy top and that is

not appropriate for work either. I sail solo so it is me I dress for

and I love dressing for dinner on a cruise:D

I have a pretty large cruise wardrobe. I wear dresses every night to dinner, so my collection has gotten pretty large...very large since I've recently found a new store.:o

I absolutely love shopping to prepare for my cruise. Now am I already prepared for a b2b transatlantic? Sure...but I like new stuff!:D

I shop when I need something, but generally speaking I'm not a "shopper."

I live in Florida but spend a lot of my time in New England, NY, and PA for work, so my wardrobe is varied. We attend charity events fairly regularly that require cocktail or formal attire, so that's always in the closet and pulled out every couple of months. I try to buy multipurpose items, tops that I can wear with jeans or suits/slacks for work for example. My entire wardrobe gets regular use and I don't differentiate clothes just for work, vacation, or otherwise.

I've done a bit of shopping for this cruise, but this makes the second four nighter I've done and I'm planning on the next cruise to be a seven nighter. So, I should be able to do well since I've built up my wardrobe a little! Today I've been shopping on e-bay for costume jewelry to go with outfits that I already have. I wear scrubs every day to work, so when I'm on vacation, I do like to dress up a little!

Hi,

I've done a 4-nighter and 7-nighters, and it's NEVER enough for me! :p This year, I'm doing an 8-nighter and next year will be 9.

I bet you have a lot of fun with your cruise outfits - it's always a nice change to not be wearing your work outfits. I think of every cruise night like a Sat night outfit and I think it's fun also.

Hope you find something good on e-bay. Have fun on your next trip!

I definitely have cruise clothes. I never have a chance to wear long

dresses here at home. Some are formal and some medium formal;)

but I could never wear them to work:eek:

cb, I have never asked this but will now after reading your reply. Why

does it always sound like you are mad? Or angry?:( It is a fashion

forum and most of the folks do enjoy shopping and do find it

fun.:D

To the OP, yes, I have a semi-cruise wardrobe. My office is very

casual. I mean go to work looking clean and neat but many of my

dresses are not what I consider work clothes and when I wear

silk slacks on the cruise, I will wear a very dressy top and that is

not appropriate for work either. I sail solo so it is me I dress for

and I love dressing for dinner on a cruise:D

Lois, I love when you post your cruise pictures because I get to see all of your outfits! And you do have a very nice dress collection.

I know what you mean about having a chance to wear your formals.. Just this year, it seems that I'm at that age where I keep getting invited to weddings, so as of lately, I've been getting extra use out of those items and I don't feel bad spending money on them.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing pictures from your next trip.

Wayfairers - That's a good thing that you get double-duty on your wardrobe.

ducklite - I bet you have an awesome "formal" wardrobe.

3dogmom - Wow, a translatlantic is a big trip. I could totally overpack for that, but I tend to spill things. Balsamic salad dressing always seems to get me when I'm wearing white and eating a salad!!! Happy shopping for new things to add to your cruisewear. PS - What kind of dogs do you have?

It was fun reading everyone's responses - I'm in shopping mode this week apparently. ;)

ducklite - I bet you have an awesome "formal" wardrobe.

Not really, I'm not a clothes horse. I have two gowns. A long black chiffon skit with two mix and match semi-formal tops that I can also wear with black silk trousers. (I also have two other tops that go with the trousers for more of a "cocktail" look, but they are too "cocktail" as opposed to "semi-formal" and don't work with the skirt.) A "little black dress." A cocktail style pantsuit.

So a total of eight outfits to meet all formal, semi-formal, and cocktail attire events. I'd say each of them gets used at least once a year, the cocktail attire gets used several times as I have to attend cocktail parties for work a dozen or so times a year as well.

That's it.

My transatlantic next year is 16 days, and because of packing restrictions all my normal wear will be left home and it will be basic black with color and accessories thrown in. I do not want to pay for baggage so I'm determined to limit the luggage!

I have a Bagel (1/2 Basset, 1/2 Beagle), Black Lab mix, and a Blue Tick Coonhound. All rescues and all spoiled rotten!

For our upcoming cruise (13 nights) I have bought 2 new formal dresses and 2 day dresses. In the past I've worn the same formal night dresses on 3 cruises and am getting a bit sick of seeing them in all the pics! haha so I've splurged a bit...

I don't usually go out shopping for cruise clothes as such...more a matter of buying something if/when I like it.

My 2 new day dresses will not be worn before the cruise (even though it is about 4 months away!) I really like the feeling of having fresh new clothes for a cruise.

I am also considering buying some new shoes (which I need anyway)...I'm not too concerned about suitcase weight this time around seeing as the port is less than an hr from home and we'll be driving there!

I don't have a separate "cruise" wardrobe. I have a closet that includes work & casual clothes with some "party" clothing (from formal to cocktail to "afternoon wedding":p) I pack for my vacations (including cruises though we don't cruise every vacation) from my existing wardrobe, based on destination, expected activities, and expected weather.

We leave Thursday for a 12 day Black Sea cruise with some pre- and post-cruise days in Athens & Venice. So we'll be gone 19 days. I packed yesterday - not as light as I could be, but 34 lb checked bag (includes wine;)) I only bought a couple things for this trip, but they weren't necessarily just for this trip. I got a new turquoise tank tunic (that I've already worn 3 times:D) and new silver casual thongs. Oh, and a new swimsuit from Lands End - on sale;) I'm not sure that I'll actually be using it much on this cruise, but I hadn't bought a new swim suit in a couple years and it's cute and the price was right - again, I've already used it at home, so it's not just for the cruise.

As for shopping in general - I really dislike malls and only shop there when I need something from a specific store. I try to visit Nordstrom Rack every few months (I live in the country so have to plan my shopping after work since I work closer to good shopping - or on weekends, but then I have to drive quite far) I'm a much bigger fan of online shopping, esp Kohls and Lands End - because I can often get free shipping, but return in person anything I don't want. I buy a ton of stuff from SierraTradingPost.com. When I visit Las Vegas or Orlando for work (my husband usually has a trade show in one of those places every other year or so) or Williamsburg to visit my dad & his wife - I will go to the outlet malls if there is something I want. And there is a new decent outlet mall not very far from where I work - I love to get work stuff from Talbots at that outlet.

You know, now that I really think about it, I have to change my original answer. I'm retired and travel around 2/3 of the year. So, I guess that means I only have a travel wardrobe and no longer have a work wardrobe. And, my formal clothes are not long gowns, more cocktail dresses and slacks with formal tops. Anything in my closet that doesn't get worn in a year gets donated.

I love shopping and heard a good tip that I try to follow.... every time you buy a new item take an item out of the closet. Not always easy but it has gotten me into the habit of thinking about what I'm going to remove from the closet before I buy and makes me much more selective on what I buy.

We've got some nice outdoor malls that I like to visit just to walk & window shop, but a lot of my actual purchasing is done on line, I really like the Garnet Hill website, I think half my things for our upcoming cruise are from there.

I usually will stop at a tj maxx at least once a week, & I like Target for their basics like leggings, tee shirts, tank tops & my undies.

I guess when I think about it, I'm at some sort of a store or another at least 5 times a week, but I really don't actually buy very much stuff. I don't mind wearing the same thing over & over as long as I can mix up how I'm wearing it.

My favorite store to visit is REI, & I've actually bought quite a few clothing items there, there's something so cool about a store that could completely outfit you for a trek up Mt. Everest:)

My husband has a fairly strict "one in one out" policy in his closet. I can get him to overrule it very infrequently and my justification better be good:p

I have the same rule, although I'm working on one in, two out. The older I get the more I realize that the more clothes you have, the more work it is to care for them.

Archived