Vaccinations for India

DonahCBrown

Sorry if this has been endlessly asked and answered but with no search capacity, I can't find anything...:(

We're scheduled for a private tour in India for our upcoming Ocean Princess cruise. We will be landing in Delhi on Oct. 31, staying in Delhi overnight, taking the train to Agra, overnighting in Agra to visit the Taj- planning on sunset and sunrise visits there for pictures, then driving back to Delhi, then to Mumbai where we will be touring, and then join the ship again. The ship has an additional port in Cochin.

My doctor is telling us that we should be taking anti-malaria meds and that, in addition to HepA, which we have taken already, we should get innocuations for HepB and also typhoid.

I'm thinking this is overkill, and that we will be in 5 star hotels start to finish, and using insect repellant, and that we won't have any need for HepB as we don't engage in risky behaviors.

Anyone out there have experience with travel of this sort in India at this time of year and/or with these meds and their side effects?:confused:

We visited India a few years ago, also staying in 5 star hotels. I would defiinitely recommend malaria tablets as you really cannot avoid mosquito bites. We took doxycycline 100mg which was very simple - one tablet a day after breakfast. We had to start 2 days before arrival in India, and continue for 2 weeks after we left. No side effects that I experienced. I think mossies are plentiful in Oct/Nov in India.Still try to wear long sleeves and avoid dusk time outdoors to minimise bites. Hope this helps. ( we also took Hep A and typhoid shots) :) Enjoy India and the magnificent Taj Mahal!

It is perhaps not so wise to ignore the advice of your MD . All very well to think it is perhaps overkill, but you will regret it if you come down with anything . Getting seriously ill Overseas far from home is not a pleasant experience, and can be a very expensive one too .

I don't think this forum is a good place for asking about what vaccinations are or are not needed.

Much better to seek advice from your MD or one of the tropical institutes, i.e. CDC:

Many people get caccinated against Hepatitis, but forget other important ones like polio, tetanus, diphtheria etc.

One cannot control the hygenie habits of other people.

I always think better an overkill and not permantely killed.

Whatever you decide - have a great cruise.

Ron

Thanks everyone - guess we'll go ahead with the typhoid and anti-malarials.:(

I have been to India several times and really agree with those who say to go with what your doctor recommends assuming you think highly of your doctor. If you don't I would seek the advice of another medical physician.

Keith

Archived