should they be compensated?

S.S.Oceanlover

Here's a question: If the cruise was extended a day, should they have to pay for an extra day? Same thing really.

Very good question. I would think most would say no. We never had that happen yet... Darn it!

As for shortened trips....I just don't know, what do you think if it was your cruise? Someone loses, someone gains.

The "gimme gimme gimme me me me" mindset is simply stunning.

If you are stupid enough to cruise during The Season, then at least get trip insurance.

Bravo to NCL.

WOW! Now anybody that cruises during hurricane season is stupid.:eek:

Maybe they should suspend cruises from June 1 to November 30th in the Caribbean to protect the stupid people from themselves.:rolleyes:

Stupid Bill

I would be shocked if they dont, it would be sheer madness on those 6 days if they tried to do this to a bunch of NYers who just went through a Earthquake and Tropical Storm, then told they have to pay for a day they didnt sail.

Exactly, but absolutely nothing surprises me these days with the cruise lines that are marginally solvent. They try to "get by" as cheaply as possible. Witness Royal Caribbean's wonderful San Juan response.

Doc

We always purchase trip insurance. Wouldn't travel without it. It really doesn't cost that much and it's peace of mind should you ever need to use the on-board medical center or God forbid, something happens before or during the cruise.

We also make a point to cruise during the end of the hurricane season for several reasons: 1) The rates are cheaper; and most importantly, 2) This is the time of year we both can get approved for vacation time from our jobs since it's at the end of peak summer season.

We have been onboard thru numerous hurricane avoidance maneuvers, changes in itinerary, rocky seas, outer decks closed, flying deck chairs, and so on. We love it and do not plan to change our travel plans. It's the luck of the draw and you get what you get. This is why you will never see either one of us complaining about any of the above issues.

You do realize that the official Hurricane Season is from June 1st through November 30th, right? So anyone who cruises during this time frame is stupid, right? I take exception to your comments. Cruising during hurricane season can be a wonderful experience, as we've done it for the last 11 years and only had issues a few times. There is nothing more humbling than being out on rough seas realizing that all our little problems and concerns are really very insignificant in the greater scheme of things. But, that's just me.

Suze!

Great post Suze! Well said.

Maybe they should suspend cruises from June 1 to November 30th in the Caribbean to protect the stupid people from themselves.:rolleyes:

Stupid Bill

Sorry Stupid Bill - as our new friend Hurricane Irene just showed us, hurricanes can affect areas outside of the Caribbean. I think they should suspend cruises all along the eastern seaboard as well.

Your friend,

Stupid Debbie :D

Stupid Bill

Hey, Stupid Bill!

We would like to buy you and yours a DOD!! Care to join us on the shortened Carnival Pride cruise leaving tomorrow? I have a feeling there are some open cabins!

Sincerely,

Stupid Suze!

Sorry Stupid Bill - as our new friend Hurricane Irene just showed us, hurricanes can affect areas outside of the Caribbean. I think they should suspend cruises all along the eastern seaboard as well.

Your friend,

Stupid Debbie :D

Hey, Stupid Debbie!

We would also like to invite you to join us on the Pride Cruise tomorrow! We'll buy you a DOD or whatever you'd like. I am hankering for one of those milk-shake thingies they make at the specialty shop. I am wondering if they would be willing to put a shot of Baileys in it. Hmmm....!

Anyway, there might be cabins open, so please join us! You're a HOOT!

Sincerely,

Stupid Suze!

Hey, Stupid Debbie!

We would also like to invite you to join us on the Pride Cruise tomorrow! We'll buy you a DOD or whatever you'd like. I am hankering for one of those milk-shake thingies they make at the specialty shop. I am wondering if they would be willing to put a shot of Baileys in it. Hmmm....!

Sincerely,

Stupid Suze!

And....I wonder why my butt looks like the back of a bus! Gee, it couldn't have ANYTHING to do with those marvy chocolate milkshakes with a shot of Baileys, could it??

Hey, Stupid Debbie!

Sincerely,

Stupid Suze!

Hey there Stupid Suze!

I have to tell you, I developed a serious addiction to the milkshakes from the specialty shop on the Spirit. I had to go on a 12 step program when I got back home. Just wanted to warn you, from one stupid person to another.

Now if only I could figure out how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Have a great cruise! :D

Stupid Debbie

Yeah, Suze, Ken, Deb and Bill could all be the Stupid Cruisers that had a good time together in the Caribbean.:) Kinda has a nice ring to it I think. Who's making up the t-shirts? ;)

This is why I hate posting to these things. Everyone wants to throw rocks....really! And I hate myself for having to say...Really!

Oh POO! I'm turning into a "one of those".

Hey there Stupid Suze!

I have to tell you, I developed a serious addiction to the milkshakes from the specialty shop on the Spirit. I had to go on a 12 step program when I got back home. Just wanted to warn you, from one stupid person to another.

Now if only I could figure out how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Have a great cruise! :D

Stupid Debbie

Hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!! See my post above yours! We're talking Greyhound Bus, here! :D

Hey Stupid People,

We need to sail together. I happen to know there is a ship leaving late tomorrow. Don't know if you'll get anything free though! :D But you can still get here if you leave now.

I'll try to ask them to wait for my stupid friends. LOL :p

I just hope the Captain doesn't say Da... we doesn't know if we's going there or here or not or maybe over that way possibly.

OK ..I'll stop now. It's not funny anymore. Sorry.:D

Hey! Where did everyone go?? Did we offend someone??? Ok, I'm sorry about the offensive remarks I made about my own backside looking like the back of a Greyhound bus due to consuming multiple milkshakes from the specialty shop. I apologize for that, and if I hurt anyone's feelings, I am very sorry.:D

Sincerely,

Stupid Suze!

So my question is.. With out reading every post prior... Is what day Day did they loose?

If guests booked a Saturday to Saturday cruise, and they came into port on the Friday at 6am, then yes they should be given credit for on day. If they pulled in at 6pm, they should be credited for 75% because they missed dinner, overnight, and breakfast.

If they pulled in after dinner, then 50%

I think a refund for the missed night in the form of OBC would be fair & what I would expect.

Maybe if you're in a lower level cabin, but for someone in a high level suite that could be more than their on board account would work out to.

While NCL will probably pony up something, Im sure their contact is similar to Carnival's which says the following

) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master's discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances other than as provided by Carnival's change of itinerary policy at the time Guest or his agent acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract. Carnival's change of itinerary policy can be found at http://www.carnival.com or at http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/

"Time" and "date" are two different words with very different meanings.

Here it is in black and white, some conditions merit OBC some not.

Cruise Cancellation and Itinerary Change Policy

CRUISE CANCELLATION

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit.

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms.

ITINERARY CHANGE AFTER DEPARTURE

In the event an itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival and/or the Master will attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival and/or the Master may, in their discretion and for any purpose, deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and omit or change any or all ports of calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any refund or other damages in such circumstances.

REFUND OF GOVERNMENT FEES AND TAXES:

If a port is cancelled from the scheduled itinerary, a refund of the government fees and taxes for the cancelled port will be provided via a shipboard credit.

THIRD PARTY COSTS RESULTING FROM CRUISE CANCELLATIONS OR ITINERARY CHANGES:

Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties by guests (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled cruise or an itinerary change for any reason.

VACATION GUARANTEE:

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

Just in case someone thinks I might have changed anything.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_85

Here it is in black and white, some conditions merit OBC some not.

Cruise Cancellation and Itinerary Change Policy

CRUISE CANCELLATION

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit.

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms.

ITINERARY CHANGE AFTER DEPARTURE

In the event an itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival and/or the Master will attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival and/or the Master may, in their discretion and for any purpose, deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and omit or change any or all ports of calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any refund or other damages in such circumstances.

REFUND OF GOVERNMENT FEES AND TAXES:

If a port is cancelled from the scheduled itinerary, a refund of the government fees and taxes for the cancelled port will be provided via a shipboard credit.

THIRD PARTY COSTS RESULTING FROM CRUISE CANCELLATIONS OR ITINERARY CHANGES:

Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties by guests (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled cruise or an itinerary change for any reason.

VACATION GUARANTEE:

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

Just in case someone thinks I might have changed anything.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_85

This is all regarding itinerary changes, what does that have to do with a cruise that was supposed to start on a Sunday & now isn't starting until Monday? Again, if the passengers were able to board on Sunday but the ship wasn't leaving until the next day, THAT is an itinerary change & no compensation is required.

So my question is.. With out reading every post prior... Is what day Day did they loose?

If guests booked a Saturday to Saturday cruise, and they came into port on the Friday at 6am, then yes they should be given credit for on day. If they pulled in at 6pm, they should be credited for 75% because they missed dinner, overnight, and breakfast.

If they pulled in after dinner, then 50%

It was a Sunday to Sunday sailing and now it has been changed to a Monday to Sunday cruise.

Hello Stupid Deb and Stupid Suze.

Unfortunately I wount be able to join you on the Pride.:(

Bill

Archived