should they be compensated?

S.S.Oceanlover

just a question for all those who say "they gambled and lost", "thats the risk you take", "read the contract" , "shouldn't get anything", etc, etc. suppose its the height of hurricane season, and the cruise right before yours has engine trouble and arrives a day late, thereby shortening your cruise by 1 day, do you think you are entitled to anything? judging by your responses I would say no. of course, imo yes you should be compensated for the missed day, as should those who missed a day because of the weather.

I said if they were able to board, the ship just couldnt leave, no compensation as the cruise is still feeding you and housing you. If you cant get on the ship for a extra day, then yes, I would expect it.

I said if they were able to board, the ship just couldnt leave, no compensation as the cruise is still feeding you and housing you. If you cant get on the ship for a extra day, then yes, I would expect it.

I agree with that, but in this case they were not.

I The only cruise line that I would never sail again was NCL. And yep...Not. Even. For. Free.

This just shows me that my opinion of that company works for me.

Why do you feel that way about NCL? We had a bad experience with them, but, we will try them again. Everyone has an off day or two.

I would sail them again....but probably not during hurricane season. Just seems as if Carnival knows better how to take care of their passengers in these types of situations than NCL or RC does. And I am just speaking of my own personal experience with the three mentioned lines. I am sure others might feel differently. I might add the times Carnival has given these types of credits it was not asked for, they just did it.

Why do you feel that way about NCL? We had a bad experience with them, but, we will try them again. Everyone has an off day or two.

So far the score for this hurricane season is:

Carnival - 2

RCI -0

NCL - 0

Next hurricane season the Carnival ships are going to look ghastly towing a string of party barges behind the ships just to accommodate all the folks who now refuse to sail RCI and NCL during hurricane season. Bend over and take it or gimme gimme gimme. It's all good if you're having fun!! :)

I would sail them again....but probably not during hurricane season. Just seems as if Carnival knows better how to take care of their passengers in these types of situations than NCL or RC does. And I am just speaking of my own personal experience with the three mentioned lines. I am sure others might feel differently. I might add the times Carnival has given these types of credits it was not asked for, they just did it.

We were on the Destiny back in 2000 when she broke down early into our 2nd day. We sat dead in the water for a day or so before we were repaired enough to limp back to POM. We got back a day or two early (after going nowhere) and Carnival allowed us to stay on the ship until regular departure time. They gave everyone free excursions in Miami, refunded everyones cruise & airfare. All we paid was our sail & sign account. THEN they gave everyone 50% off of their next cruise!! Soooo above and beyond & needless to say Carnival is at the top of my list for cruiseline customer service.

Yeah, my first cruise was cut short by a Hurricane projected to hit Galveston. They wanted to bring the ship home early to beat it so they could unload and get the ship back out to see to wait it out. Initially they thought we would just miss a port (Calica) and reimbursed us for that. They finally decided to cut it short and gave each of us 100 OBC to use. There have been other times like the 4 day I was scheduled for with a stop in Cozumel, due to a propulsion issue they replaced with Progreso. They gave us each 50 OBC.

So, some may say we are whiners when we expect something but Carnival set the bar too high. :o

We were on the Destiny back in 2000 when she broke down early into our 2nd day. We sat dead in the water for a day or so before we were repaired enough to limp back to POM. We got back a day or two early (after going nowhere) and Carnival allowed us to stay on the ship until regular departure time. They gave everyone free excursions in Miami, refunded everyones cruise & airfare. All we paid was our sail & sign account. THEN they gave everyone 50% off of their next cruise!! Soooo above and beyond & needless to say Carnival is at the top of my list for cruiseline customer service.

I know this is the CCL board but I am amazed by the responses on the NCL board about the cruise from NY that is delayed a day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1471344

It is not leaving until Monday instead of today.

It has been reported that NCL will offer no compensation to anybody on the upcoming cruise even though it's shortened from a 7 day cruise to a 6 day cruise.

Most on the board from what I've read on page 1 say those pax don't deserve anything. That's the chance you take cruising in hurricane season.

To me if I paid for a 7 day cruie and it was shortened by a day I'd want 1/7 of my money back.

What do you think?

Bill

I think they should take off 1/7 th of the original price at least give that

much to you in an on board credit but NO COMPENSATION = NO GOOD

You betcha I would want compensation. I was just on the Sensation and the itinerary was changed from Nassau to Key West. No, I did not want nor deserve compensation because I knew that this was a chance I was taking for cruising during the peak of hurricane season.

However, if the head honchos at Carnival would have dared to shorted my 3-day to a 2-day, I would have been making more waves that Irene. The couple in the balcony next to ours announced on a daily basis that she wanted SOMETHING from Carnival because she did not pay for Key West....she paid to see the Bahamas. I advised her of the policy and kept on enjoying my time away from work, time away from dishes, time away from cleaning....I can go on and on....

What about those who cruised from Galveston in Feb and lost a day or 2 because of fog? Same thing. I do have insurence and I travel next week. But I can handle port changes. Cutting it short by a day is different.

I was one of those in February that my 5 day to Mexico turned to a 3 day to nowhere because of the fog...We were going to get compensation for the 1st day...25% future cruise credit plus OBC for that days meals. Then when the 2nd came and still no ship, they upped it to 50% refund/50% future Cruise credit and still the OBC for the previous days meals. Or you could cancel the whole thing and get 100% refund. I chose to take the 50%/50% offer and had a wonderful time. I am using my 50% credit on the Triumph in October.

I absolutely think that they should be compensated in some manner. I know what its like to lose a day or in my case 2 days of my cruise and let me tell you...it wasn’t fun!

I don't see anyplace in that post where I said I was smarter than anyone. I just was trying to respond in a clear fashion to each point by addressing each individually.

And this is a thread for opinions, not advice. Obviously I have an unpopular opinion.

Perhaps I should have said, as another did, some people take a condescending tone that makes it sound like they consider themselves smarter than others.

Your opinion is not the issue, in my opinion, it is the way you stated it. It was out of line, as others have noted.

My opinion is that this is board does provide a lot of good advice to people who ask but that some people are so nasty about their opinion (not directed at you; yours was just a bit snarky compared to others I have read :)) that it is tough to read the board. This board is not nearly as friendly as many other "interest" boards I frequent.

Cheers!

Missing a port is one thing but missing a day or two off your vacation is completely different.......

I know...I don't understand why people don't see the difference. :confused::confused::confused:

The fact that Carnival does attempt to compensate for this type of thing is above and beyond and a wonderful thing. But unless I am misinterpreting what I am reading, it seems like the feeling here is they are required to, and they are not. Carnival can cancel the entire cruise with no liablity to refund anything under their contract. It is in Section 7(e). It is probably the same on all the other lines as well.

Would I be upset if I missed part of my vacation? OF COURSE!!! Would I demand compensation?? No, because I can't demand it. Would I hope they would compensate me in some way! Yes!! But that would be completely at the mercy of Carnival, or NCL, or RCL or whichever line I was booked to travel on.

Carnival has been great to their passengers in these types of situations, which is another reason we will continue to sail them. I personally don't sail during hurricane season because I am not willing to risk it.

I know this is the CCL board but I am amazed by the responses on the NCL board about the cruise from NY that is delayed a day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1471344

It is not leaving until Monday instead of today.

It has been reported that NCL will offer no compensation to anybody on the upcoming cruise even though it's shortened from a 7 day cruise to a 6 day cruise.

Most on the board from what I've read on page 1 say those pax don't deserve anything. That's the chance you take cruising in hurricane season.

To me if I paid for a 7 day cruie and it was shortened by a day I'd want 1/7 of my money back.

What do you think?

Bill

compensated, yes!

i'm just surprised at their reported attitude of "tough luck".

Perhaps I should have said, as another did, some people take a condescending tone that makes it sound like they consider themselves smarter than others.

Your opinion is not the issue, in my opinion, it is the way you stated it. It was out of line, as others have noted.

My opinion is that this is board does provide a lot of good advice to people who ask but that some people are so nasty about their opinion (not directed at you; yours was just a bit snarky compared to others I have read :)) that it is tough to read the board. This board is not nearly as friendly as many other "interest" boards I frequent.

Cheers!

Well, I definitely got snarky right back! :D

Seriously though, I truly make an effort not to make it personal toward other posters.

That's the problem with typed messages, you can't interpret the intent behind the words. I meant no offense, but I did take offense to the response I received. Perhaps that poster did not mean offense and I am going to choose to believe that.

I truly hope everyone (including me and my family) gets every minute of every day of their impending cruises and experiences only sunshine and warmth because hey - I want to see their photos and read their reviews!! :D

On the flip side... They aren't charging you for an extra 1/7th if your cruise is extended due to a hurricane. What hotel would let you stay for free an extra day and feed you all your meals?? None... They may have a special rate but you will be paying more....

that's not true. i'm at a place right now where 9 people couldn't make it out, and are stating "free". it's a ai, and they are being fed. but we have no electricity.

I got about half way through. Lots of opinions (as usual on CC!)

Someone posted this:

6. Vessel and Voyage:

(a) Risk of Travel: The Guest admits and acknowledges that travel by ocean-going vessel occasionally

presents risks and circumstances that may be beyond the ability of the Carrier to reasonably control or

mitigate. The Guest's understanding includes all risks of travel, transportation, and handling of Guests

and baggage. The Guest therefore assumes the risk of and releases the Carrier from any injury, loss, or

damage whatsoever arising from, caused by, or in the judgment of the Carrier or Master rendered

necessary or advisable by reason of: any act of God or public enemies; force majeure; arrest; restraints of

governments or their departments or under color of law; piracy; war; revolution; extortion; terrorist actions

or threats; hijacking; bombing; threatened or actual rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife; fire, explosion,

collision, stranding or grounding; weather conditions; docking or anchoring difficulty; congestion; perils of

the sea, rivers, canals, locks or other waters; perils of navigation of any kind; lack of water or passageway

in canals; theft; accident to or from machinery, boilers, or latent defects (even though existing at

embarkation or commencement of voyages); barratry; desertion or revolt of the crew; seizure of ship by

legal process; strike, lockout or labor disturbance (regardless whether such strike, lockout or labor

disturbance results from a dispute between the Carrier and its employees or any other parties); or from

losses of any kind beyond the Carrier's control. Under any such circumstances the voyage may be

altered, shortened, lengthened, or cancelled in whole or part without liability to the Carrier for a refund or

otherwise

So . . . If I am reading this correctly, they could cancel the whole trip and not be obligated to compensate?

My vote is to compensate 1/7 in the way of shipboard credit (which really costs the cruise line less.) If I were on the cruise and was not compensated, I would never go back to that line. Simple enough. Make your guests feel you care. Goodwill.

The fact that Carnival does attempt to compensate for this type of thing is above and beyond and a wonderful thing. But unless I am misinterpreting what I am reading, it seems like the feeling here is they are required to, and they are not. Carnival can cancel the entire cruise with no liablity to refund anything under their contract. It is in Section 7(e). It is probably the same on all the other lines as well.

Would I be upset if I missed part of my vacation? OF COURSE!!! Would I demand compensation?? No, because I can't demand it. Would I hope they would compensate me in some way! Yes!! But that would be completely at the mercy of Carnival, or NCL, or RCL or whichever line I was booked to travel on.

Carnival has been great to their passengers in these types of situations, which is another reason we will continue to sail them. I personally don't sail during hurricane season because I am not willing to risk it.

That made me laugh! I can just see that happening a whole cruise being cancelled without any compensation........Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Archived