YVR to Canada Place via Train

I know there is a thread about taking the train from YVR to Canada Place but with the search function down I'm having a heard time finding it. On the post there were pictures with captions showing the stops and all kinds of things having to do with the train. My question is, in that post it mention two stops that you could get off of to go to Canada Place, but one was better then the other so you wouldn't have to take your luggage uphill. Which stop is the best one to get off at and does anyone know which post I'm talking about?

You will board the Canada Line at YVR and stay on it until the end of the line at Waterfront Station. There is no point in getting off earlier, Waterfront Station is as close as you get to Canada Place and it is a comfortable 2.5 block walk which is level to slightly down hill.

I know there is a thread about taking the train from YVR to Canada Place but with the search function down I'm having a heard time finding it. On the post there were pictures with captions showing the stops and all kinds of things having to do with the train. My question is, in that post it mention two stops that you could get off of to go to Canada Place, but one was better then the other so you wouldn't have to take your luggage uphill. Which stop is the best one to get off at and does anyone know which post I'm talking about?

Probably looking for my photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#

I answered this in another post, but use the Granville Street exit right on the platform at Waterfront Station, and don't go down the long corridor into Waterfront Station itself. It will save you a block or so of walking, and make your walk downhill instead of uphill.

• 5 months later...
Those photos were great. I had tried to figure out the train from their website and was confused about purchasing tickets from machines since we won't have any Canadian money.

You shouldn't have any problem as the machines will accept most credit cards and ATM cards.

Those photos were great. I had tried to figure out the train from their website and was confused about purchasing tickets from machines since we won't have any Canadian money.

Machines take Canadian currency, debit and credit cards. If you intend on taking it any more than just a single trip from Airport to downtown, consider getting a book of 10 tickets (two-zone) from the 7-11 inside the airport for $31.50 (whereas two singles bought on the platform are $8.75/ea due to airport surcharge which doesn't get applied to multipacks)

The 7-11 will also accept US$, which solves the issue somewhat :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Someone wrote a nicely detailed way to avoid walking up a hill and save on steps when going from YVR to Canada Place.

I would appreciate if you could give us the same details for the reverse trip. We will have (too much) luggage to bring to the airport after the cruise. What is the fastest route to the station at Canada Place, with the least amount of hills to climb?

Also, does the skytrain let us off close to the check-in area, or do we have a long schlep with the luggage once we get off the skytrain?

Thanks.

Someone wrote a nicely detailed way to avoid walking up a hill and save on steps when going from YVR to Canada Place.

I would appreciate if you could give us the same details for the reverse trip. We will have (too much) luggage to bring to the airport after the cruise. What is the fastest route to the station at Canada Place, with the least amount of hills to climb?

Also, does the skytrain let us off close to the check-in area, or do we have a long schlep with the luggage once we get off the skytrain?

Thanks.

Follow the Green Marker Directions in reverse on this map. YOu come up out of the drive in tunnel at Canada Place and go straight ahead to the corner and turn left. You can go underground all the way too but I don't put much faith in all the escalators working all the time and in the right direction.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217449072889534043648.00048a321029e363943bc&msa=0&ll=49.286703,-123.110604&spn=0.03096,0.059137

The drop in YVR leaves you with a bit of a slog but nowhere near what you would have to do with getting to the Canada line from Canada Place. Down to the departure level and go right into the big hall.

(Personally I'd be taking a cab if as you say you have too much luggage)

PS If you need domestic departure turn left off the elevator from the skytrain ramp at YVR

Taking Canada Line from YVR to Canada Place, you will have to pay a $5 luggage surcharge per person if you do not purchase faresavers. If you purchase a faresaver book, it may be more reasonable than paying the $5 luggage surcharge. If you are arriving on a Saturday or Sunday, you only require a one zone ticket, versus a two zone ticket Monday - Friday. After 6 pm you only need a one zone ticket until I believe 6 am the next morning. Faresavers are available in the drug store in the domestic terminal. There are always security people checking for tickets at the airport even early in the morning, so don't try to get out of the $5 surcharge if you don't use faresavers. Not worth the fine.

It appears that the person is going from Canada Place to YVR so there is no surcharge and it is not and never was a luggage surcharge - it was imposed by the Airport Authority to help recover their portion of the cost of building the line to the airport which was somewhere around $400 million.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks.

As a regular rider of Skytrain, FROM the cruise terminal, exit to your left, walk ahead one block (past that tempting escalator that says Skytrain -- it leads to the wrong line), turn left just past it onto Cordova, walk 2 blocks and enter the big brick building on your left. Buy your tickets there and follow the signs that say "Canada Line".

At the airport, for US departures exit straight off the train, take the elevator down to the departures level and cross the street to enter the terminal building. If you're doing a domestic departure, turn left as you get off the train down the corridor. If you're doing overseas international, either works as it's about 1/2 way in between US and domestic.

What would be the fastest way to YVR from the port? Our 2PM flight got canceled and we are rebooked on an 11AM flight out of YVR. We are 4 adults and will be travelling fairly light so we could handle the walk and luggage on the train if that would be faster....I was afraid a cab might be hard to come by since everyone will be getting off the ship and AM traffic on Monday might slow down the transit via cab.

Any one have approximate transit times by train and/or cab from Canada place to YVR?

Thanks

While I don't think any of us here would recommend a 11 PM flt. you asked !

(has to be on time disembarkation/Canada Customs/quick get to a cab or Canada line/@ the airport security/ US customs (if you are not flying domestic) etc etc.

I think the fastest way would be by Canada Line unless you got off earliest and made it to the cab line first.(or second ;) )

Traffic is not likely to be an issue as you are traveling opposite to the morning flow.

What would be the fastest way to YVR from the port? Our 2PM flight got canceled and we are rebooked on an 11AM flight out of YVR. We are 4 adults and will be travelling fairly light so we could handle the walk and luggage on the train if that would be faster....I was afraid a cab might be hard to come by since everyone will be getting off the ship and AM traffic on Monday might slow down the transit via cab.

Any one have approximate transit times by train and/or cab from Canada place to YVR?

Thanks

Exit the cruise terminal, walk one block ahead on Howe (slightly to your left) -- past the Expo/Millenium line Skytrain escalator (so tempting, but the wrong platforms). Turn left on Cordova, and walk 2 blocks to the big badly labeled brickbuilding on your left; "WATERFRONT STATION". There but 2 zone ticket for YVR $3.75 and then follow the signs to "Canada Line". On the platform make sure you board a train marked "YVR Airport" as only every other train goes to the airport.

Quick, and cheap.

The ships are usually along side by 0700 and people who can self-disembark are often starting to leave the ship by 0800. So if you self-disembark with your luggage you should be clear of Canadian customs by 0830. Now the total time elapsed from Canada Place to YVR is the same whether you go by taxi or Canada Line, it's 35 mins anyway you slice it. If there is a line up for cabs then by all means run over to Waterfront Station if not then a cab is more convenient and less hassle then trying use a system you are not familiar with during the height of the morning commute.

The underlying issue here is that you should be at YVR a full 2 hrs pre flight time so you are really pushing the envelope whichever mode of transfer you choose. If you have the option of a later flight you are going to remove a lot of stress from the equation.;)

Thanks

You should also keep in mind that if you are connecting on a direct flight into the US you will clear US customs at YVR just past check-in. That adds a bit of time.

Archived