Flying Fish Sandwich

USAF2180

I tried looking through all the threads but was unsuccessful in finding anything. Was wondering if anyone who's been to Barbados can recommend a place to have this fish sandwich...our itinerary is open to Barbados so we can take a cab anywhere....thanks!

I would like to know too. I've read that the flying fish is served all over the island so it might not be too hard to find on the menu. We will be stopping at the Harbour Lights beach bar on Carlisle Bay so I hope they have it there. I'm also thinking that Lobster Alive or the Boatyard (also on Carlisle Bay) might have it too. Not much luck googling them for menus though. If worse comes to worse, ask a local at the pier.

Finding a flying fish cutter (sandwich) on the island is like trying to find a hot dog on Coney Island.

You’ll find them everywhere.

And yes, Harbour Lights offers them so not to worry.

I’ve found that some of the tastiest cutters come from our simple rum shops that seem ubiquitous around the island.

Don’t be shy about asking any of the locals where their favorite cutters are, they’ll be more than happy to tell you. If you’re walking from the pier, ask the guys in the Gate House for their favorite place to buy one. If you’re cabbing-it, you driver will have a favorite spot and be happy to take you there.

If you should be lucky enough to be on the island on a Friday night, they always have a big lime (party) down in Oistins and fry up those FF right off of the fishermans’ boats. Boy, are those good!

Enjoy and come back soon! :) :) :)

finding a flying fish cutter (sandwich) on the island is like trying to find a hot dog on coney island.

And yes, harbour lights offers them so not to worry.

I’ve found that some of the tastiest cutters come from our simple rum shops that seem ubiquitous around the island.

Don’t be shy about asking any of the locals where their favorite cutters are, they’ll be more than happy to tell you. If you’re walking from the pier, ask the guys in the gate house for their favorite place to buy one. If you’re cabbing-it, you driver will have a favorite spot and be happy to take you there.

If you should be lucky enough to be on the island on a friday night, they always have a big lime (party) down in oistins and fry up those ff right off of the fishermans’ boats. Boy, are those good!

thank-you !!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

Don't forget to look for them shooting out of the waves along side of the ship.

Yeah, but they're too hard to catch, need a really long net :eek: then you'd have to find someone to filet and fry them, they won't let us cook on our balcony.

Yeah, but they're too hard to catch, need a really long net :eek: then you'd have to find someone to filet and fry them, they won't let us cook on our balcony.

Sometimes, they hit the next swell so hard that they either knock themselves out - or at least get a terrific headache! You just need a long handled net.

Many years ago, a cruise went to Barbados (Royal Caribbean's Sun Viking) that evening flying fish was on the dining room menu. Those were the days when they could buy local.

Friends have just come back from St James, Barbados, and told us that it would be quite easy to spend £250 on a meal for four which they thought very expensive compared to British restaurants - they finished up preparing most of their own meals.

So just out of interest, how much can we expect to pay for a flying fish sandwich, particularly at Lobster Alive?

Friends have just come back from St James, Barbados, and told us that it would be quite easy to spend £250 on a meal for four which they thought very expensive compared to British restaurants - they finished up preparing most of their own meals.

So just out of interest, how much can we expect to pay for a flying fish sandwich, particularly at Lobster Alive?

http://lobsteralive.net/menus.html

They're pretty cheap in the rum shops... If I recall maybe $4-5 USD or less.. the rum shops were really affordable and we got to meet some great people!

We also liked the chicken roti's .. can find those lots of places.. very good and also inexpensive

If you decide to go to the Barbados Hilton for the day, you can walk down to Cuz's - a food shack - on the public beach. US$8 for a flying fish sandwhich and 2 Bank's. Not a connoisseur, but a few of my ex-pat colleagues claim it is one of the best on the island.

I've had flying fish several times, and wasn't too impressed, but the Flying Fish Fingers at the beach near the port changed my impression! The fish was sliced into thin strips, seasoned, and fried to perfection.

The beach is across the street from the Mount Gay Rum Factory and there's only one restaurant on that beach. The fish fingers are an appetizer, and I think they were about $5. I took photos of everything, but haven't had a chance to post them yet. They also have lunch specials with local food, but I didn't try any of the specials. Someone else from the ship did, and they said the food was good.

We walked back to the ship from the beach.

• 4 months later...
Finding a flying fish cutter (sandwich) on the island is like trying to find a hot dog on Coney Island.

And yes, Harbour Lights offers them so not to worry.

Don’t be shy about asking any of the locals where their favorite cutters are, they’ll be more than happy to tell you. If you’re walking from the pier, ask the guys in the Gate House for their favorite place to buy one. If you’re cabbing-it, you driver will have a favorite spot and be happy to take you there.

If you should be lucky enough to be on the island on a Friday night, they always have a big lime (party) down in Oistins and fry up those FF right off of the fishermans’ boats. Boy, are those good!

We are going to be staying in the Hastings area for three days pre-cruise and the Oistins Friday party sounds like a cool thing to do.

We won't have a car and have no feel for the bus system. Does taking the bus to/from the Oistins on Friday night make sense? Anything we need to know to make the trip go smoothly?

Art

Nothing to it... The buses run along Hwy.7. Just catch one going east to Oistins - it will be marked on the sign on the front of the bus.

You can't miss the buses going there - they'll be pretty full. If in doubt, ask the driver. You shouldn't have to wait more that 10 minutes for a bus.

There are 3 types of buses on the island - the big blue government buses, the smaller yellow private ones, and the small, white toyota vans called "ZR's"

Friday nights at Oistins are a blast! The only trouble you'll have is trying to decide which vendor to buy your food from. You will not be disappointed.

I recommend having macaroni pie with your fish, and don't forget the yellow pepper sauce...

There's also shopping, dancing, whatever... It's a big party.

Definitely a MUST DO...

Cheers, P:)

Archived