Bringing back alcohol for disembarkation

jdoc2010

What is the allotment of alcohol you can bring back to the states BEFORE you have to pay taxes? The last time I cruised, during the disembarkation speech, they mentioned that all guests (even those under age) can have the allotment applied by their parents. Is this still the case?

What is our Duty Free allowance?

Regulations from ATF: Cigarettes and Tobacco Products Foreign-made cigarettes and tobacco products may still be brought into the U.S. in personal-use quantities (exemption: 1 carton per person).

The following guidelines pertain to U.S. Residents only. Non-U.S. Residents must comply with customs allowance guidelines set-up by the Customs Office in their particular country. Specific information will be provided on board the ship.

All Heads of Households are required to complete one U.S. Customs Declaration Form, to include those family members traveling with them who reside at the same address.

The Head of Household must declare the total value of all articles acquired abroad that they are bringing into the United States, including those items purchased on the ship, in foreign ports and any duty free stores. All purchases including tax free items (ex: artwork, unset precious gemstones, perfume, cosmetics, antiques and U.S. made products) must be listed on the back of the U.S. Customs declaration form. Undeclared merchandise is subject to seizure and/or penalty.

If the family has exceeded the U.S. Customs exemptions, the Head of Household must present him or herself with receipts to the Customs Agents on the last morning of the cruise before the debarkation process begins.

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board. 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands. 5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older). Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

What is the allotment of alcohol you can bring back to the states BEFORE you have to pay taxes? The last time I cruised, during the disembarkation speech, they mentioned that all guests (even those under age) can have the allotment applied by their parents. Is this still the case?

1 liter, no taxes set up for those who are texans going out of galveston, no overage allowed for texans. I dont see where you live, so thought Id add this applying to texans only.

1 LITER??? Am I reading that right ??

I am headed to the Bahamas next week and had planned on bringing back a lot of liquor! :D

I will be traveling with 4 other people so at least I can get them to be in on my plan too but 1 Liter just seemed like a really small amount.

At least I can bring back 100 non-cuban cigars :D

Oh.... that's non taxed. I can bring back more and just pay taxes on it. How much would taxes be for another 1L ? I'm a GA resident.

Just depends on the agent, most dont want to do the paperwork unless you have 6+ bottles.

Awesome thanks for the info. I guess I will try to limit myself to five (this is, of course, only if there is a great deal on the ship!). I will give my ladies 1 bottle a piece since I know they aren't bringing anything back. :)

Opps, I didn't even make note of the alcohol we carried off, but it was all left over that we took on the ship. They asked if we had any and I just said no, thinking they meant if we bought any. Next time. :cool:

If it is stuff you carried on the ship, you would not need to claim it as you've already paid taxes on it. I would have to check, but I do believe any bottle of liquor you buy has a tax seal or sticker or something on it, if you paid taxes. I do know that is the case with Cigerettes.

Archived