In Hungary can one choose HUF (florints) or Euros at ATMs?

ann1bell

I found only forints were given by ATM machines- and smaller shops and markets wouldn't accept Euro's so you do need local money. If a shop would take Euros, they charged more.

There are very few ATM's - mostly "money changers" so you can get your Euros changed into forints easily- not sure about exchange rates though!

Sounds like it will be florints and not euros! I think our airport budapest tranfers driver will take them. Thanks.

I don't know how you are touring Budapest, or how long you are staying, but I would advise you to plan carefully so that you have enough florints to use in Hungary, but not so many that you cannot spend them in Hungary. Once you leave Hungary, other countries will not accept them, rendering any left-over florints worthless.

Hungary has not fulfilled the ERM II agreement iirc (or did they decide to keep the Forinth, don't remember exactly), so they still have the Forinth. If you need Euros, try one of the exchange offices in Buda, or go to a dependency of one of the major banks. At their counters you should get Euros. Once you have left Hungary, Forinth (and any other currency's COINS) are useless. One can change bills in banks in other countries, but not coins.

Hungary is a member of the EU . It wishes to adopt the Euro as its official currency but before it can do so it must meet certain financial criteria and targets set by the EU . IIRC as yet Hungary has not met those KPI but is well on the way to doing so .

Hungary official currency currently is the Florint and that is what their ATM's dispense .

What I did with my left over Forints was to put them in as tips for our cruise director. They will be going back and forth through Hungary on subsequent cruises.

That's a nice thing to do and a really good idea. I know Hungary is on the verge of going on the Euro, but it hasn't yet and until it does, it's currency is only good in Hungary. With the world financial situation as it is right now, Hungary's full entrance could take some time. But I really like the idea of returning any unused money to the people who can use it.:)

We did that as well, a little extra on top of the Euros that we gave her....she lives in Hungary so could always use them.

Wonderful choice. Amsterdam is ok (and I'm Dutch) but I would die happy in Paris. :D Better make sure you have an umbrella!

Archived