Past guest rates

jtdlmc

Past guest are usually only close to sail date, like residency or senior rates.

They use that rate to fill a ship that isnt filling fast enough.

Not true....Looking at January 2013 and past guest rates are being offered....16 months away...

It's as most others have said. They are offered based on supply and demand. Most likely, if there is no past guest rate, the ship is selling well.[/q

This makes sense when the cruise is getting closer, not 16 months away...Also available for April 2013..20 months away.

I'm looking at March 2013. Past guest rate is offered on the Caribbean cruises I've looked at out of Miami but not the Bahama ones out of New York for the same time period. Guess I'll just keep checking.

I'm looking at March 2013. Past guest rate is offered on the Caribbean cruises I've looked at out of Miami but not the Bahama ones out of New York for the same time period. Guess I'll just keep checking.

March is spring break month for many schools and NY is prime location for family trips....instead of having to fly all the way down to FL. My guess is that the cruise is selling well due to it's location and Carnival doesn't feel the need to offer any discounts for this cruise.

March is spring break month for many schools and NY is prime location for family trips....instead of having to fly all the way down to FL. My guess is that the cruise is selling well due to it's location and Carnival doesn't feel the need to offer any discounts for this cruise.

I was thinking that at first too, but looking at the other two sailings in March, one is substantially higher than the week I'm looking at - by about $240/person, so I'm thinking that must be when New York spring break is. The week for our spring break is the cheaper one.

I was thinking that at first too, but looking at the other two sailings in March, one is substantially higher than the week I'm looking at - by about $240/person, so I'm thinking that must be when New York spring break is. The week for our spring break is the cheaper one.

I've never cruised out of NY, but I hear it's quite popular just for the fact that many NE'r don't have to pay for airfare.

I personally don't like the itineraries out of the east coast cruises (nor west coast), but they obviously sell even with the undesirable ports of Nassua and Freeport.

It's as most others have said. They are offered based on supply and demand. Most likely, if there is no past guest rate, the ship is selling well.[/q

This makes sense when the cruise is getting closer, not 16 months away...Also available for April 2013..20 months away.

The beards have their charts on how full the ship should be as far out as you want to go and if they are filling up on schedule, there is no need to discount rates. As the bookings slow down past guest and other rates will appear and as the bookings pick up the discounted rates will disappear. It is supply and demand at it's finest:).

I have booked on the web site as a past guest and non-past guest and the rate was the same. I don't think they realyy deduct anything for past guest. It's just a marketing ploy to make you think u recieved a discount.

The main thing with past guest rate is that it is refundable up to final payment day. The early saver rate (which is always the lowest rate) is not. Many do not want to get locked into a non-refundable deposit.

Not true....Looking at January 2013 and past guest rates are being offered....16 months away...

thats why I said usually .. no hard and fast rules. I usually see them more close in . just my experience.

Carnival is going to use rates to fill the ships as fast as they can with whatever works.. stops working .. try another rate to lure people in.

I've never cruised out of NY, but I hear it's quite popular just for the fact that many NE'r don't have to pay for airfare.

I personally don't like the itineraries out of the east coast cruises (nor west coast), but they obviously sell even with the undesirable ports of Nassua and Freeport.

if you compare all in prices you can get a Caribbean cruise with air for pretty much what you can get a Bahamas cruise from NY or Baltimore for.

We live in Philly and were booked on the Pride.

I cancelled that because the price was $689 for an inside with no air.

Booked the Liberty from Miami for $464 plus $208 airfare.

We don't have to sail down the Atlantic ocean and get to go to the Caribbean and not the Bahamas.

Bill

if you compare all in prices you can get a Caribbean cruise with air for pretty much what you can get a Bahamas cruise from NY or Baltimore for.

We live in Philly and were booked on the Pride.

I cancelled that because the price was $689 for an inside with no air.

Booked the Liberty from Miami for $464 plus $208 airfare.

We don't have to sail down the Atlantic ocean and get to go to the Caribbean and not the Bahamas.

Bill

Actually for any dates I look at, it's quite a bit more for airfare for us to Miami (there is a cruise I might be interested in that departs from there) as compared to NY. The cruise itself is $20 more per person for a balcony, but it is also an 8 day cruise as opposed to 7 days. Not to mention the fact that we would like to see a bit of NY, sail down the Atlantic ocean and go to the Bahamas. If we didn't care to sail from NY or go to the Bahamas, then I guess we wouldn't, price really isn't the deciding factor but it helps. Since this is my first "past guest" cruise, I was just curious as to whether or not past guest rates are offered for all sailings.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - if you don't see a past guest rate online for the sailing you are looking at, call Carnival directly. There was not a PGR showing for a cruise I was considering in 2013 but when I called and asked the PVP he said there is always a PGR so yes, there was one for that particular sailing as well.

Update - if you don't see a past guest rate online for the sailing you are looking at, call Carnival directly. There was not a PGR showing for a cruise I was considering in 2013 but when I called and asked the PVP he said there is always a PGR so yes, there was one for that particular sailing as well.

hmmm, my PVP might disagree with yours, saying not all rates are always available including this one. Glad you got the past guest rate if thats what you wanted.

Past guest are usually only close to sail date, like residency or senior rates.

They use that rate to fill a ship that isnt filling fast enough.

:oSorry but that is not a correct statment. I booked the Victory and other cruises 9 monthes to a year in advance. When the past rates come out they only have a select amount they offer usually when there gone they are gone. This is from a PLAT member.

Also, sometimes PG is available on some rooms but not on others even on the same sailing.

I'm booked on Magic 8/19/2012 with one 9C and one 8A. The 8A was available under PG but not ES. The 9C was available ES but not PG.

I did inquire about this when I booked and was told that yes, they were only offering those rates. I had thought it was a computer error.

:oSorry but that is not a correct statment. I booked the Victory and other cruises 9 monthes to a year in advance. When the past rates come out they only have a select amount they offer usually when there gone they are gone. This is from a PLAT member.

then how do you explain the past guest rates they offer last minute, which I know Iv price matched to.

that were not available earlier. I too have been able to get past guest rates for a year in advance .. but not always for 2 years in advance. i will ask my PVP though, for clarification as maybe this has changed. a couple years ago past guest were not available two years in advance, but this could have changed. this was back when we had the codes to input and you could find out if certain rates were offered or not.

hmmm, my PVP might disagree with yours, saying not all rates are always available including this one. Glad you got the past guest rate if thats what you wanted.

Hmmm, guess the PVP that quoted me was wrong then - or at least someone is! I ended up going with NCL as the regular rate for a similar cruise (date and ports) was still less than the PGR and ES rate on the sailing I was looking at.

Archived