Bringing water on board

warmwinds

Never done this before, but think it's a good idea even just to take for shore excursions. It's ok to do, and if you leave it with your luggage they'll take it on board for you? Or do you carry it on yourself? (often the cabins aren't ready and we really don't want to lug it around until they are).

Never done this before, but think it's a good idea even just to take for shore excursions. It's ok to do, and if you leave it with your luggage they'll take it on board for you? Or do you carry it on yourself? (often the cabins aren't ready and we really don't want to lug it around until they are).

If we're driving to the port, we buy a large case at Bj's or Costco. We put a luggage tag on it - drop it with our luggage and give the porter a bit extra $. It's always worked out great for us, we keep several bottles in the small refrigerator and the rest goes under the bed.

We took 4 x 1.5 litre bottles with us and then at ports like Kusadasi we got another 6 from the port for about 1 euro per 1.5 litre bottle. Same at other ports - we just kept the number up. It was really easy, really cheap and saved us money ! :)

I recommend you buy or bring some tape with you if you get a case of water. Typically, the case is shrink wrapped with plastic but the ends are open and when they load it they pull it by the open end. This results in the plastic ripping and bottle of water falling out. If you tape the ends up then they have to load it from the bottom. On my last trip in Italy I could only find 12 bottle cases so I taped one on top of the other and put a couple of luggage tags on them (I had extra) and it got to my room with no problem.

We were on the Summit last week and just stuck a luggage tag on a case of water and they delivered it to the room with the rest of the luggage. Had the room steward empty the mini bar stuff out of the fridge and put the water in. Nice!

OP, are you the WW from the TA Las Vegas forum?

Good tip about the tape...I'm thinking we only want a 12-pack since we have 5 shore excursions, so 2 bottles each. Would using the luggage tags AS tape (taking all the paper off so it's all sticky?) work, putting one around each side (we always have extra tags).

Monkey, yes, guilty as charged. You don't sound familiar to me...do you go by another name there?

Hi Dave! Yes, we too sometimes escape Las Vegas' clutches.

Anyway, I just told my husband about the water and he looked at me and said..."so how much is this going to save us? $20? After we're spending how many thousands for the cruise?"

I called Celebrity last week about bringing on

water/soda and they said "NO WAY"...only the bottle you may be

drinking from at the time of boarding. Just another rip-off

Are they sure because they let us only last week with no problem - we had got 6 bottles in carrier bags and 1 each in a bottle carrier :confused::confused:

This is another complete disconnect between the customer service phone reps and actual practice on board the ships. We've only done this a few times but there is zero hassle at the dock and I've always seen occasional cases of water amongst the checked luggage collected on the dock. I guess it could be that they changed the policy the day before you called and we'll hear lots of reports about it soon - but I kind of doubt that.

If you read a lot of posts here on Cruise Critic you'll soon see that the Celebrity customer service staff who answer the phones are notoriously inaccurate on questions of policy and ship board procedure. It is a real shame. Fortunately the level of service on board the ships is usually fantastic.

O.k. Here's the thing.... How is the quality of the tap water aboard the Equinox? I get mixed review. Some say, great other's no so great.. Anyone out there really know?

The water on the Equinox should look and taste fine. The water has looked and tasted fine on most of the cruises we've been on. Exception was a couple cruises on other class ships several years ago which had some sediment in the water, but no such experiance in recent years nor on any S class ship.

My only issue with the water is that it is a little higher in sodium content which makes my hands and feet swell up a little. I suspect the issue also relates to the food and even the sea air but if I keep to bottled water for the vast majority of my daily water intake I don't seem to have the swelling issue. I know several other cruisers who have the same issue and others who do not. Since it is an issue which effects only some cruisers, and not all, the issue somehow becomes a topic of debate with some of those that don't have the issue doubting those that do. The bottom line is to be alert to the issue and switch to bottled water if it effects you.

There are lots of past threads discussing this. Here is one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28708782

The phone rep gave you incorrect information. Celebrity's sister line, RCI does prohibit bringing on any beverages and most likely the phone rep was reading from RCI's policy. Celebrity does allow all non alcoholic beverages to be brought on board and also two bottles of wine per stateroom at the start of the cruise.

My guess is that the taste of the water would depend on where the ship filled up its water tanks. So it may be correct that sometimes it tastes fine and other times not!

Yes, that can be true. While a lot of the water is made on board from sea water, Celebrity does take on potable water from various ports as well. Therefore the water can taste different from day to day, as it sometimes changes sources.

Hi Dave! Yes, we too sometimes escape Las Vegas' clutches.

Anyway, I just told my husband about the water and he looked at me and said..."so how much is this going to save us? $20? After we're spending how many thousands for the cruise?"

We worked out that it saved us about £50 not sure what that is in dollars but it seems a good saving to us. I object to paying silly prices for water that can be purchased at the quay sife for a fraction of the price (and is allowed on board)

Archived