New Zealand Ports

Will be cruising around New Zealand in January 2012.Ports of call are,Hobart,Dunedin,Christchurch,Wellington,Napier,Tauranga and Bay Of Islands.I was thinking of not booking any ships tours and just doing my own thing,walking around the different towns.Will I be able to walk off the ship (Celebrity Century) into the town centre,or will i have to use taxis or public transport.Any further info about these ports will be much appreciated,I.E.will weather be ok for walking around in January.

Would plan on doing a mix of Ships Excursions and self explore .

Hobart - You will dock in town or tender and be right in heart of town . So good self explore port.

Dunedin - Ship docks miles out of town . Not to be missed here the Trieri Gorge Railway excursion , one of the World's Great Railway Journeys . Take it as Ships Excursion . Usually runs as train from wharfside .

Wellington - Ship docks out of town . Take taxi and self explore, or ships excursion .

Napier - Ship docks way out of town . Retailers usually put on free shuttle bus to town centre. An Art Deco Wonderland, self explore .

Tauranga - This is ships excursion port to either Rotorua to smelly springs or to White Water rafting .

Bay Of Islands - this usually is no port, scenic cruising .

Weather in NZ January is Summer, fine days can be cooler nights in South Island .

Will be cruising around New Zealand in January 2012.Ports of call are,Hobart,Dunedin,Christchurch,Wellington,Napier,Tauranga and Bay Of Islands.I was thinking of not booking any ships tours and just doing my own thing,walking around the different towns.Will I be able to walk off the ship (Celebrity Century) into the town centre,or will i have to use taxis or public transport.Any further info about these ports will be much appreciated,I.E.will weather be ok for walking around in January.

Hi Rooney

I figure that you will be on the Celebrity Century sailing ex Sydney on 18 Jan 2012... only issue I had is if you were on December/Jan sailing there is impact of Public Holidays around NYE...although as it is holiay time in Aus/NZ at that time of year dont worry too much on that score.

As for walking around , weather etc. think Southsea/Bournemouth in July..usually fine but you can get the odd bit of unpleasant weather.

Your cruise will almost always mean a pier side docking...however Christchurch (Lyttleton) is problematical. On our itinery we were scheduled to call at Christchurch on 3rd Jan but earthquake issues has forced the cruise line to move us to Akaroa.

I guess you are departing from Sydney which is an experience that will live with you forever...absolutely stunning!

At Hobart, you will dock close to the city centre so you will be able to walk across through Constitution Dock to the somewhat quaint CBD. Why not consider hiring a car for the day? In OZ we are civilised like you Brits and drive on the correct side of the road...generally the same road rules...stick to the speed limit and avoid idiots!

You should love Dunedin...the Edinburgh of the south..and the name is no co-incidence. They even have a castle..but not perhaps as Grand as the one in Scotland. Go to the Otago peninsular to see the wild life, or perhaps the cruise line will offer a pub hop that can be fun.

As I said Christchurch wil probably be served by Akaroa, some 75klms from the city. It is a tender port but Akaroa is a destination in itself, being a French Outpost that still has a gallic flavour. One of the reasons that I asked about when you were sailing is that a must do at Akaroa is the Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run. It does not happen on public (bank) holidays so we will miss out. Think Heartbeat...quaint country roads and stunning scenery. You can get a seat for just NZ$60 for a 120klm 4.5 hour trip which is a bargain. You can get more info at www.akaroa.com or email info@akaroa.com

Cant give you much on Wellington, but the again the ship docks besides the pier and it is not far to the city centre

Napier is again a docking port, but you will need to find transport to the city centre. At this port there are tidal issues, so you will probably find your time here will not be as long as at other ports.Nevertheless, if you get a chance take a quick local tour of the city-famous for its 1930s Art Deco architecture..and certainly try and check out the Hawkes Bay wine country...the French think they know wine, but we know a few things down under !

I have not been to BoI so In will leave that to others

You will embark at Auckland, and I have been ther many times. It is an easy to see city and the ship will be right there at the city centre - not unlike Sydney.

I hope this all helps...I am sure others will also post

cheers

Hi Rooney. Hope you have a great trip to the Antipodes! and enjoy "down under". We came from Bournemouth in 1975 and are still here so be warned you may not want to go home.

Just talking about Bay of Islands. It is usually a tender port and lots to see around the area. The area is that which was settled by the early missionaries and eventually where the Treaty was signed between Queen Victoria and the Maoris. So much to see and learn and so little time! Just enjoy what you can.

Thanks for your replies,very much appreciated.I will be in Sydney for five days before i pick up the cruise on the 18th.January.The ship will dock in Akaroa on Wed.25th.Jan.We will be in port from 7AM to 6PM. so should have plenty of time for the Easter Bays Mail Run.Would i be better off booking this and the Trieri Gorge trip before i go via internet,or book on ship.Leaving Aukland on Mon.30th.Jan. fly to Hong Kong for a few days before heading back to Blighty.Hope weather in Hong Kong not to cold in Jan.

Thanks for your replies,very much appreciated.I will be in Sydney for five days before i pick up the cruise on the 18th.January.The ship will dock in Akaroa on Wed.25th.Jan.We will be in port from 7AM to 6PM. so should have plenty of time for the Easter Bays Mail Run.Would i be better off booking this and the Trieri Gorge trip before i go via internet,or book on ship.Leaving Aukland on Mon.30th.Jan. fly to Hong Kong for a few days before heading back to Blighty.Hope weather in Hong Kong not to cold in Jan.

Hi Rooney

You can only book the Eastern Bay Mail run via internet...very limited availability (8 pax in a people mover)

The Train trip can be booked either way..but for convenience, even if a bit more expensive, do it via the ship.

Hong Kong will be hot..well maybe warm..but never cold

cheers

Hi there,

I thought you may like to see this site I found on the net. It shows short videos of most of the towns/areas around NZ. It is http://www.seeanddonewzealand.co.nz I only came across it today, and have spent ages looking at it. Has quite a bit on Bay of Islands, with the individual towns such as Russell etc. The Dunedin clip is very lifelike too. One of the best sites I have come across in a while that caters for tourists like us.

Jen

Hi there,I thought you may like to see this site I found on the net. It shows short videos of most of the towns/areas around NZ. It is http://www.seeanddonewzealand.co.nz I only came across it today, and have spent ages looking at it. Has quite a bit on Bay of Islands, with the individual towns such as Russell etc. The Dunedin clip is very lifelike too. One of the best sites I have come across in a while that caters for tourists like us.

Jen

Thanks for sharing Jen.

Wonderful videos.

It even has Napier..(listed under Hawkes Bay.)

Thanks for sharing Jen.

Wonderful videos.

It even has Napier..(listed under Hawkes Bay.)

Yes, that's the only part I found confusing.. the names. There is quite a bit on BOI, so long as you recognise the names:cool:. Mind you, we have some whoppers here in Oz too:eek:. There is a map to assist, for dummies like moi:D Glad you like it.

Jen

You are probably best to book these tours now.

The train trip in Dunedin is to the Taieri Gorge.

Yes, that's the only part I found confusing.. the names. There is quite a bit on BOI, so long as you recognise the names:cool:. Mind you, we have some whoppers here in Oz too:eek:. There is a map to assist, for dummies like moi:D Glad you like it.

Jen

Jen,Thank you for sharing that website, very helpful.

That video is so good , it should be posted as a sticky on the Australia/NZ Ports of Call board.

Hi there,

I thought you may like to see this site I found on the net. It shows short videos of most of the towns/areas around NZ. It is www.seeanddonewzealand.co.nz I only came across it today, and have spent ages looking at it. Has quite a bit on Bay of Islands, with the individual towns such as Russell etc. The Dunedin clip is very lifelike too. One of the best sites I have come across in a while that caters for tourists like us.

Jen

Thanks for the link, Jen. I have started working my way through the Bay of Islands videos & hope to look at all the relevant ones for our Ports.

That video is so good , it should be posted as a sticky on the Australia/NZ Ports of Call board.

I agree. I wish I had of found it years ago. I like the realism of it, and the fact that it covers quite a bit without promoting certain individual products, hence catering for all tourists like us. David, why don't you post it as a sticky, if you are allowed to. I have no idea of how to do it. Go on...do it:D

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rooney

You can only book the Eastern Bay Mail run via internet...very limited availability (8 pax in a people mover)

The Train trip can be booked either way..but for convenience, even if a bit more expensive, do it via the ship.

Hong Kong will be hot..well maybe warm..but never cold

cheers

erewhon - you have been a source of valuable information! Now I have two questions for you!

1) I'm interested in Eastern Bay Mail run but can't figure out how to book it via the internet. Can you help?

2) How much more convenient is the ships tour for the train trip? It is significantly more expensive. Is it difficult to get a taxi to the train station in time to be there by 9:15 am? Our ship docks at 8 am. How much is taxi fare?

Thanks so much!

erewhon - you have been a source of valuable information! Now I have two questions for you!

1) I'm interested in Eastern Bay Mail run but can't figure out how to book it via the internet. Can you help?

2) How much more convenient is the ships tour for the train trip? It is significantly more expensive. Is it difficult to get a taxi to the train station in time to be there by 9:15 am? Our ship docks at 8 am. How much is taxi fare?

Thanks so much!

I will see what I can find out about your first query.

2) The ship tour will be far more convenient.

Firstly, there is no train line to Akaroa.

I looked up your excursions.

"The passengers booking the Train trip will be transported to Arthurs Pass to board the train, with a stop at Springfield en route. "

Please be aware that the journey at first is along a winding road over the hills from Akaroa to the Canterbury Plains. Once over the hills there will be some straight stretches of road.

Returning from the train trip the passengers will leave the train at Rolleston rail siding, and rejoin the bus back to Akaroa.

Passengers booking the train trip will not travel into Christchurch.

Hi there, best information that I've found is the DVD 'cruising New Zealand' produced by John Lawrence (best known for the fab Baltic DVD) just go to his web site for details. It has all the up to date info for all the NZ ports both for tours and independent travelling. We are so looking forward to our cruise in January armed with all this info.

I will see what I can find out about your first query.

2) The ship tour will be far more convenient.

Firstly, there is no train line to Akaroa.

I looked up your excursions.

"The passengers booking the Train trip will be transported to Arthurs Pass to board the train, with a stop at Springfield en route. "

Please be aware that the journey at first is along a winding road over the hills from Akaroa to the Canterbury Plains. Once over the hills there will be some straight stretches of road.

Returning from the train trip the passengers will leave the train at Rolleston rail siding, and rejoin the bus back to Akaroa.

Passengers booking the train trip will not travel into Christchurch.

Thanks so much! I did find the site to book the Mail Run. Unfortunately, we will be in Akaroa on a Sunday and there is no Mail run on that day!

I forgot to be specific about the train. We have booked tickets on Taieri Gorge Rail from Dunedin. I've read the taxi is right at the port and fare is about $50 to the train station. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Archived