Kids in CL?

Have just marked our calendar to cancel all RCI reservations 5 days prior to each final payment date. We will continue to monitor this policy; hopefully common sense and profit margins will reverse this egregious new policy.

Hasta La Bye Bye - hope the next cruise line you choose is a better fit for your lifestyle! :D

-germ

As a Diamond member, soon to Diamond Plus, and a suite guest I have misgivings about allowing young children in the CL. I have seen many well behaved children on the cruises, and some really, lack of a better term misbehaving children. In most cases the children disruptive behavior is not addressed by the parents or by supervising adults. I believe that type of behavior is unacceptable anywhere on a cruise ship, including the CL.

I have seen adults be extremely disruptive in the CL and the concierge has addressed it privately with the offending party. I have seen the disruptive behavior ignored by ships staff, including a recent thread about ridiculously bad behavior in the Windjammer.

At this point I am willing to give the policy a chance. However, if our experiences in the CL are less than acceptable (adults and/or children), I will let the concierge, ship's staff and above know of my displeasure. I can accept a certain amount cutting up, kids being kids, and off-colored jokes. I don't know what level it could become bothersome, but I will know when it gets there. I will have firsthand experience with the new policy within the next 85 days.

Remember suite guests, on most ships we have a cocktail party with the ship's captain and upper staff, this maybe an appropriate time to let them know.

Recently, one of sons told me, "If you want to get someone's attention today, take a video and post it on you tube!"

Let me see if I understand this correctly...

- Parents are not allowed in certain parts of the Teen Club!

- Teens are now allowed in Cocktail Lounge (CL) with their Parents!

No, Trainman, you don't understand correctly, completely. Not just teens, children of ALL ages are now allowed in the CL with parents. That means babies, terrible 2's, treacherous 3's. You name it. As someone said earlier, it'll be a regular romper room! Yay!:rolleyes:

Before anything has really been experienced folks are saying they will now stop cruising RCI because maybe, possibly, there is a chance there might be some kids in the CL? Seems like a bit of over reacting. I wonder how many of the over reacting "I am leaving" RCI because I cannot get into the CL folks are still around.

Have sailed with some obnoxious drunks in the CL and will take the kids over them anyday.

Before anything has really been experienced folks are saying they will now stop cruising RCI because maybe, possibly, there is a chance there might be some kids in the CL? Seems like a bit of over reacting. I wonder how many of the over reacting "I am leaving" RCI because I cannot get into the CL folks are still around.

Pretty much dead on. Kinds of reminds me of child like behaviors. Hmmmm.

-germ

LOL...DH said 'well, maybe the 'snacks' will go kid friendly and we'll have things like popcorn chicken, peanut butter sandwiches ect

Priceless.........absolutely priceless!!:D

WOOHOO..........."Chicken McNuggets" at Happy Hour??

I want equal time up in AO to play video games!!

No need to have to go to AO to play videos....I am sure they also now plan to install a toddler play area in the corner of the CL to keep the kids occupied....video games and all.

Let me see if I understand this correctly...

- Parents are not allowed in certain parts of the Teen Club!

- Teens are now allowed in Cocktail Lounge (CL) with their Parents!

No, Trainman, you don't understand correctly, completely. Not just teens, children of ALL ages are now allowed in the CL with parents. That means babies, terrible 2's, treacherous 3's. You name it. As someone said earlier, it'll be a regular romper room! Yay!:rolleyes:

I would just love to see my own as well as most all teens faces if we told them parents are now allowed to enjoy the Teen Club with them:eek::eek::eek:...you think this thread is bad:rolleyes:

The fact is it's not much different....they go to AO and the teen club to get away from us parents and LOVE that we aren't allowed in.....why should it be any different the other way around?

Exactly - I don't think it will be an issue for teens as they will have much more important things to do and at most might stop in, grab a soda and leave immediately. It's the little ones that the parents can't leave by themselves while they drink that will be descending on the room grabbing snacks with sticky fingers, etc.

Tacky as it may be, if the CL is overrun with kiddies, you'll see me pouring a couple of drinks into a paper cup and heading back to my suite with it (give me something to do with all the glassware they provide). Doubt the concierge will have time to even notice.

I would just love to see my own as well as most all teens faces if we told them parents are now allowed to enjoy the Teen Club with them:eek::eek::eek:...you think this thread is bad:rolleyes:

The fact is it's not much different....they go to AO and the teen club to get away from us parents and LOVE that we aren't allowed in.....why should it be any different the other way around?

Bingo! But in that scenario, the gimme gimme parents of said teenager aren't missing out on their free drinks! And you know, since they paid for a suite, the whole world revolves around them. Their fare paid for the captain's salary, the officer's salary, pretty much everything. The world of cruising would end without the Suite passenger! Didn't you know?

I have a suggestion that may make all parties happy. CL's on many ships during crowded times of the year are already forced to run overflow lounges due to the large number of guests....so why not go ahead and use the overflow lounge as a dedicated family only lounge. This would keep the main CL as an adult only lounge while still offering those suite guests that would like to bring their children along another separate area that caters more towards families. IMO this would make the best of both worlds and keep all parties happy with minimal to any extra cost involved.

Wow - such a simple but excellent solution!

It's the totally unruly behaviour of small children that I worry about. So many parents don't discipline their kids because they want to be their friends and/or are afraid they will hurt their self-esteem. Some parenting "experts" frown on Time Out. The result is that there are some kids who have had no limits set by parents (when they basically are pushing the envelope and asking for limits). Ignoring bad behavior by some Parents is made worse when they are vacation as they basically don't take responsibility as it is "their vacation, too." The conicerges will be in the middle between irresponsible parents and angry folks in the CL.

I'm not a kid hater -- basically I'm critical of parents of who won't parent.

Asked a few pages back whether this new policy of allowing kids into the CL covers the Diamond Louge (on ships with dedicated DLs like the Freedom). Have not gotten an answer -- does anyone know?

That was not in the announcement posted by RCI, and since this all came about due to complaints of Suite passengers, who use the CL and not the DL, I would say the answer is probably no.

That was not in the announcement posted by RCI, and since this all came about due to complaints of Suite passengers, who use the CL and not the DL, I would say the answer is probably no.
That would be good. We can use both lounges as we are D+ but tend to go to the DL on Freedom (our most frequently booked ship) as the floor to ceiling windows are so nice. Thanks for answering.

Asked a few pages back whether this new policy of allowing kids into the CL covers the Diamond Louge (on ships with dedicated DLs like the Freedom). Have not gotten an answer -- does anyone know?

I don't believe that there has been any official word on this....but someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't see how they can treat the D lounge any different than they treat the CL now as far as children.....you tell me how they are going to ague with a D passenger that their child can't enter the D lounge but their friends who are staying in suites can join their parents in the CL.....you really want to see a suite verse loyalty war break out, just try having separate rules like that for both lounges.

And you know, since they paid for a suite, the whole world revolves around them. Their fare paid for the captain's salary, the officer's salary, pretty much everything. The world of cruising would end without the Suite passenger! Didn't you know?

I heard that somewhere!! LOL

I don't believe that there has been any official word on this....but someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't see how they can treat the D lounge any different than they treat the CL now as far as children.....you tell me how they are going to ague with a D passenger that their child can't enter the D lounge but their friends who are staying in suites can join their parents in the CL.....you really want to see a suite verse loyalty war break out, just try having separate rules like that for both lounges.

My guess is it's only the CL...ONLY because it was the 'suite guests' that wanted it.....

My guess is it's only the CL...ONLY because it was the 'suite guests' that wanted it.....

I don't think it's that simple.....take a D guest who is sailing with friends in a suite...they all have kids....suite guests enjoys drinks nightly in the CL with their children.... loyalty guest can't because they don't allow children in the D lounge...thats a loyalty verse suite guest war in the making.

As a parent of nine and eleven year olds staying in a family suite on my next cruise, I admit that I like the option of getting a complimentary glass of wine before dinner and not having to leave our children alone or go one at a time. That said I would gladly never touch the concierge lounge if Royal gave us an in suite bottle of wine a night or 2 free drink coupons to use at a bar of our choice while the kids were in evening Adventure Ocean programs. Perhaps they should get rid of one room for free drinks idea altogether if we all can't get along like grown ups.

Also like! For that matter most of us who enjoy family dining take early sitting so surely there won't be many children after that time?

It's our first time in a gs in January and then again on our transatlantic in April so we will test the water but I won't take my son anywhere he is made to feel unwelcome so hope this won't be the case.

Ps. We always give him washable felt tips so if he does colour on your evening gown in will wash out ;0).

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.386923,1.436964

This would be just about as popular as the diamond breakfast on most ships. BORING! The drinkers are the ones who make it fun and the best entertainers will still be in the CL.

Come to think of it, it may be MORE fun with the kids in there along with the heavy drinkers. The interactions between parents and the adult joke tellers might be worth watching.

I can't wait to see a kid cough or sneeze on someone's drink or plate of food.

Truthfully, when my kids were still living at home, we didn't feed them snacks or drinks prior to dinner - at home or on vacation. And to this day they are all slim adults. :p

I guess the suite parents like to spoil their kids dinner in addition to spoiling the adult only time. ;)

Gina

So what you're saying is the complaint is not really about the lack of adult-only venue after all. All the statements about not having a lounge or access to an adult only place is really about their not being free drinks available at one. If people are really so up in arms about their being kids around, then a place that is a regular lounge but kids not being allowed should be a place they would want to go.

I would prefer to keep the CL a child free zone in the evenings. Cruising in school holiday periods in the Mediterranean is something of a nightmare. The children of some of the Italian and Spanish families in particular, but also other nationalities, that we encountered this year on Med cruises were undisciplined and knew no boundaries. They were allowed to run around the theatre shouting during perfomances, climb over the back of their seats kicking other people in the process and play and hide under tables at dinner (late sitting). I can't imagine what they would be like if they were to be allowed in a confined space like the CL. Several time during one cruise we witnessed security trying to catch kids running around in the theatre - Keystone cops!!

Archived