Sydney: Cabot Trail vs. Louisbourg?

sPi

Hi all - DH and I are trying to decide which excursion to do. We'll be in Sydney with Celebrity on Sept 22. We love dramatic scenery, but X's Cabot Trail excursion is quite expensive. From what I've read, I don't think we'd want to drive it ourselves. Has anyone done the Cabot Trail on an independent tour?

Any help in deciding between the two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We have rented a car and driven it....the real issue is it going to be foggy or not. Frankly if I had only a day, I would choose the Fortress of Louisbourg....yes it can be very foggy there as well but at least you will see and enjoy it.

Hi all - DH and I are trying to decide which excursion to do. We'll be in Sydney with Celebrity on Sept 22. We love dramatic scenery, but X's Cabot Trail excursion is quite expensive. From what I've read, I don't think we'd want to drive it ourselves. Has anyone done the Cabot Trail on an independent tour?

Any help in deciding between the two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We aren't on your cruise. We are on one in Oct. We booked a 5-6 hr tour with Don Blackwood which will include Cabot Trail & Ingonish. Check out tomsportguides.com, he has pics & a description of this tour. Good luck. Have a great cruise.

I don't believe Don Blackwood does the full Cabot Trail. For sure the ships' excursions do not. There is not enough time. In theory you may be able to drive the full way around but there would be no time to stop and enjoy it. The full loop takes over six hours without any delays:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Ingonish,+NS+to:Ch%C3%A9ticamp,+NS+to:Baddeck,+NS+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=46.148068,-60.203316&sspn=0.007537,0.021136&geocode=FeQpwAIdzF5p_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFfC6yAIdIttm_Cl5yCvys1RmSzFvNuIPCctS8w%3BFaiCxwIdHgRd_CkDCm0dmBZnSzGc60mJhuKX1w%3BFd1svwIda_lg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFeQpwAIdzF5p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&z=9

You could rent a car and get part way around and then come back, but the most scenic part of the trail is the furthest away from Sydney and you should not chance trying to get there.

I would also suggest going to Louisbourg, getting there by renting a car or hiring a taxi. You do not need a tour, as animators are there to answer questions and explain. They represent actual people who live in Louisbourg in 1744.

We will be on the Eurodam in early Oct- docking at Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown and Quebec City. Has anyone found any good venues for Cape Breton traditional music performed during the day on weekdays, since we will not be in port in the evening except in Quebec City. I know Holland America has one short excursion at the dock in Sydney with music, but one review said there was only one fiddler instead of many.

I don't believe Don Blackwood does the full Cabot Trail. For sure the ships' excursions do not. There is not enough time. In theory you may be able to drive the full way around but there would be no time to stop and enjoy it. The full loop takes over six hours without any delays:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Ingonish,+NS+to:Ch%C3%A9ticamp,+NS+to:Baddeck,+NS+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=46.148068,-60.203316&sspn=0.007537,0.021136&geocode=FeQpwAIdzF5p_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFfC6yAIdIttm_Cl5yCvys1RmSzFvNuIPCctS8w%3BFaiCxwIdHgRd_CkDCm0dmBZnSzGc60mJhuKX1w%3BFd1svwIda_lg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFeQpwAIdzF5p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&z=9

You could rent a car and get part way around and then come back, but the most scenic part of the trail is the furthest away from Sydney and you should not chance trying to get there.

I would also suggest going to Louisbourg, getting there by renting a car or hiring a taxi. You do not need a tour, as animators are there to answer questions and explain. They represent actual people who live in Louisbourg in 1744.

You are right, we will not be doing the full Cabot trail with Don Blackwood, there isn't enough time. I'm not sure but I believe we may get as far as Neils Harbour, which is farther than our ships tour. We are too large a group to rent a car/van.

IMHO, and, as other posters have said, it will be very difficult to do the whole loop. We did not cruise to the area, but, did the Cabot Trail on a road trip one year. With the normal amount of stops for pics, stretching legs, wildlife viewing, traffic jams due to a moose wandering down the road, etc... it took us close to 10 hours to do the full loop. (it was worth every second). Also, as another poster has said, a good portion of the most dramatic scenery is furthest away. The Trail is spectacular and the journey is part of the experience.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Happy Cruising.

We will be in Sydney for 12 hours (early October) and have reserved a rental car. With allowing for time to get our car (and drop it) we figure to have about 9 hours and plan to go to the Cabot Trail. Our strategy would be to assess our situation after about 4 or 5 hours and decide whether it is wise to continue the entire way around or double back to Sydney. Looking for advice from regulars as to the best route out of Sydney and whether we are totally nuts to try the entire route.

Hank

Hi Hank, I just asked you on another thread if you are coming up our way and now I have the answer.

That is great you have nine hours. You should be able to arrange to have the car at the pier, and maybe even to drop it off there, so you may gain some time.

What cruise line gives you 12 hours in Sydney? Celebrity?

The route takes 6 and a quarter hours without stopping so time is very tight. If you have a breakdown you have a problem, but you know that. Cape Bretoners are very friendly and will do their best to help, but much of the route is isolated.

For sure if you are not half way round (Cheticamp) in about three and a half hours I would double back. Here is the route that google maps recommends and it is the fastest. Be sure to take the Englishtown ferry. It saves quite a bit of time.

http://*******/q6YbNP

I guess you will be able to see the Cabot Trail the way I saw the Amalfi Coast the other year, a drive by with a few photo stops, plus a nice lunch, but no time to wander around any of the towns. The decision is yours.

Louisbourg is a really good alternative choice.

Good Morning Maryann,

Yes, it is Celebrity (Summit) which does a 14 day itinerary out of NYC. We thought it might be fun to come visit our neighbors to the North and get away for a few days. The map link you posted does not work (bummer) but we will certainly follow your advice on using Cheticamp as a place to make the tough decision. We have not been able to find anyone to deliver a car to the port, but Budget (located less then 2 miles from the port) says they routinely do pick-ups at the port. This is one reason we figure it is going to take a bit longer to get our car. Of course we will watch the weather forecasts and not do the long drive in lousy weather.

Hank

Good luck with your drive - I'd love to hear how it went after you're cruise. DH and I have opted for the easy way out and have booked the ship's excursion (We're on the same X-14-day cruise departing on 9/11). We know that we won't see the whole trail, but didn't want to risk doing it ourselves with the time issue.

Good luck with your drive - I'd love to hear how it went after you're cruise. DH and I have opted for the easy way out and have booked the ship's excursion (We're on the same X-14-day cruise departing on 9/11). We know that we won't see the whole trail, but didn't want to risk doing it ourselves with the time issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
North toward Cape Smokey is more scenic to me, but I will repeat that the most scenic part is past Ingonish and in the Cheticamp area.[

I have read that there is no way we will be able to get that far in the time we have. Would you suggest we drive in another direction?.... go somewhere other than the Cabot Trail?

Check out this excellent guide for Sydney cruise stops:

Depending upon when you come you have three options:

1. partial Cabot trail, either renting a car or having a private driver

2. scenic Bras D'Or Lakes, including Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell museum

3. Louisbourg

http://www.**************.com/SydneyNS-10-05-2011.pdf

• 4 months later...
Good Morning Maryann,

Yes, it is Celebrity (Summit) which does a 14 day itinerary out of NYC. We thought it might be fun to come visit our neighbors to the North and get away for a few days. The map link you posted does not work (bummer) but we will certainly follow your advice on using Cheticamp as a place to make the tough decision. We have not been able to find anyone to deliver a car to the port, but Budget (located less then 2 miles from the port) says they routinely do pick-ups at the port. This is one reason we figure it is going to take a bit longer to get our car. Of course we will watch the weather forecasts and not do the long drive in lousy weather.

Hank

Hank, not sure if your still on these boards, but curious as to how your trip went???

Archived