price drop policies

DiploTraveler

When she called me, she said she had HAL on the other line. She said HAL does not offer OBCs or price reductions after final payment. Not much I could do but take her at her word.

It appears others have had different experiences.

Oh, well, such is life...

I got a similar response... but in the end, they gave me $25pp after a $200pp reduction. Not great, but it is something... seems to totally depend on the supervisor at the time.

When she called me, she said she had HAL on the other line. She said HAL does not offer OBCs or price reductions after final payment. Not much I could do but take her at her word.

It appears others have had different experiences.

Oh, well, such is life...

I have read that it might depend on how much you paid for your cabin.

This is becoming a really difficult area. As to the odd 100 dollars etc I think you just have to go with the flow and accept it. However, on the 20 nighter we just came back from may people [like ourselves] had got the cruise at more than £1000 each less than many other people. Now hear me out - we did not go around telling people what we had paid, we worked it out from the people who did.

Some people were so angry that they took their tips off.

Now I like to book a year in advance but can't really do that for next year just in case.

Teresa

PS I would happily have the difference in OBC

Some people were so angry that they took their tips off.

Now, that is sad. Same thing happens with airline tickets. Depending when you buy determines your price. Even retail items can vary significantly from one store to the next or one day to the next. What a shame they stiffed the staff because they did not know how to shop around or did not know the best time to buy to get a lower price.

Now, that is sad. Same thing happens with airline tickets. Depending when you buy determines your price. Even retail items can vary significantly from one store to the next or one day to the next. What a shame they stiffed the staff because they did not know how to shop around or did not know the best time to buy to get a lower price.

This is why I think tips should just be built in to the fare. It's not fair to the staff to hope that the expected amount of tips come in and it's annoying for the customers (just an extra thing to consider when budgeting that could be missed). If they just build in the hotel fee and let passengers tip extra if they really want to, it would be win-win. The only loser is the cruise line's marketing team that has to advertise a higher (but more accurate) price.

BTW, the airline analogy doesn't really work, since you *typically* get a higher fare when booking at the last minute and a lower fare if you book early. I think this pattern seems more "fair" in our current culture.

This is why I think tips should just be built in to the fare. It's not fair to the staff to hope that the expected amount of tips come in and it's annoying for the customers (just an extra thing to consider when budgeting that could be missed). If they just build in the hotel fee and let passengers tip extra if they really want to, it would be win-win. The only loser is the cruise line's marketing team that has to advertise a higher (but more accurate) price.

BTW, the airline analogy doesn't really work, since you *typically* get a higher fare when booking at the last minute and a lower fare if you book early. I think this pattern seems more "fair" in our current culture.

I, too, wish the cruise price included all tips.

As far as the airline analogy, you must not check fares as often as I do. Especially lately, I have seen better deals closer to the travel dates. Of course there are many factors to be considered, including the airport you are traveling out of, season you are traveling, etc. Just the other day I could have gotten round trip non-stop to Baltimore from DTW for $139 for two weeks from now. That is very last minute and a great price as the "usual" price is closer to $250. You just have to stay vigilant with all of your purchases.

HAL has dropped pricing on my October Zuiderdam cruise. A SZ gty booking is only $200pp more than what I paid for my VF gty. I contacted my TA as I am willing to pay the difference and HAL's response was you need to cancel your current booking, take the $1500 penalty hit, then rebook at new cheaper pricing. Not feeling the love from HAL right now. It's not like I'm asking for a free upgrade, I'm willing to pay the difference. Why should only new bookings get the advantage of the new cheaper pricing? If Southwest drops their prices after I book, I can easily rebook at the cheaper price and get a credit for future use with the difference. I don't appreciate their lack of concern. Money is hard to earn these days and as a consumer I pay more attention to how I spend it. I will certainly not book ahead anymore. Seems the price deals are 45-30 days before sailing. I will wait and take my chances. Maybe I will choose another vacation form, an all inclusive land vacation is something I've thought about but the love of cruising has always pulled me away from that decision. Maybe it's time I start considering other vacation ideas. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

HAL has dropped pricing on my October Zuiderdam cruise. A SZ gty booking is only $200pp more than what I paid for my VF gty. I contacted my TA as I am willing to pay the difference and HAL's response was you need to cancel your current booking, take the $1500 penalty hit, then rebook at new cheaper pricing. Not feeling the love from HAL right now. It's not like I'm asking for a free upgrade, I'm willing to pay the difference. Why should only new bookings get the advantage of the new cheaper pricing? If Southwest drops their prices after I book, I can easily rebook at the cheaper price and get a credit for future use with the difference. I don't appreciate their lack of concern. Money is hard to earn these days and as a consumer I pay more attention to how I spend it. I will certainly not book ahead anymore. Seems the price deals are 45-30 days before sailing. I will wait and take my chances. Maybe I will choose another vacation form, an all inclusive land vacation is something I've thought about but the love of cruising has always pulled me away from that decision. Maybe it's time I start considering other vacation ideas. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

I have read of others accomplishing what you would like to accomplish. I would have your TA try again and deal with a supervisor. They seem to have more clout and seem able to do things the regular phone reps cannot. It seems to be all about persistance.

As far as Southwest, those are their policies, which are well-documented. Other airlines do not allow you to do that.

The cruiselines do have their policies well-documented. If they are following their published policies, you really have no reason to be upset with them. If these policies are not to your liking, then as you say, you should look elsewhere for a vacation experience. I have no experience with an all-inclusvie resort, but I would not be suprised to see that they have similar policies as the cruiselines.

I just found a great last minute deal on an Australia/New Zealand cruise. However, for us, we would have to go with a guarentee. Since we do not do well in the front of the ship, we really don't want to risk it. That is the problem with last minute bookings. You can't always get what you want. However, if it works for you, it could be a great option. I also checked out flights, and going last minute can sometimes mean a much higher flight price.

Good luck with your pursuit!!! I hope it works out. As I said, I have read of others being successful. I hope it works out for you if you give it another try.

It does seem odd that with a month out HAL wasn't willing to take your $200 and make the upgrade. This whole business of giving new guests a price advantage over existing customer make me think of the problem I am having with comcast right now, ugghhh.

Perhaps you are in line for a great upgrade on your current gty which will wash all this clean.

After further contemplation on this (and a bit of calming down), I'm thinking that my TA, didn't really contact HAL as the response was quick. However, there isn't much I can do, if my TA doesn't want to go to battle for me. I can't contact HAL myself as I am stuck in the restriction about not discussing my booking since I used a TA.

I think this has taught me not to book so far in advance. I'm never really 'married' to any cruise I book so I can wait until the 45-30 day mark and see what's available then.

As another posted said, maybe I will get a nice cabin assignment and all will be well. Happy Sailing!

After further contemplation on this (and a bit of calming down), I'm thinking that my TA, didn't really contact HAL as the response was quick. However, there isn't much I can do, if my TA doesn't want to go to battle for me. I can't contact HAL myself as I am stuck in the restriction about not discussing my booking since I used a TA.

I think this has taught me not to book so far in advance. I'm never really 'married' to any cruise I book so I can wait until the 45-30 day mark and see what's available then.

As another posted said, maybe I will get a nice cabin assignment and all will be well. Happy Sailing!

I would contact my TA and say you have read on CC that others have reported being able to get these kinds of upgrades after final payment if they were willing to pay for them. Simply state you expect her to call HAL, ask for a supervisor and see she if you can get the same deal for you. You really need to be persisent.

Although booking at the last minute can offer great pricing, I think the other thing you need to do, is look for a new TA for your next cruise.

We just got an email today for some great last minute pricing for Australia/New Zealand for the end of October. Using the online website where you get different agencies to compete for your business I was able to get an even better price than what HAL is offering on their website. Unforunately timing is not the best with our new grandchild's expected arrival; we would have to take a guarentee, and airfare would be quite high, although not totally out of line I don't think. Perhaps another time.

• 2 years later...
Can you give information on how to request upgrade. My cabin is unassigned so far.

Booked thru a travel agent. Cruise is Aug 31st Have inside cabin.

You'll be assigned a cabin in a week or two. If you want to purchase an upsell, you can ask you TA if there are any available.