Oriana Christmas Cruise 2011

DamianG

We are thinking of booking this cruise which departs on 19th December and I'd appreciate anyone's comments about the general atmosphere on board during Christmas. We know the ship very well so we are mainly interested in the festivities and any other extras that apply to Christmas cruises. The cruise is scheduled for a late departure from Barcelona on New Year's eve so if anyone has previous experience of that we'd love to hear it. Any comments on the ports of Cartegena, Valletta and Toulon (which we've not been to previously) would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I would highly recommend it - just for the escape from the usual Xmas rush and hard work.

Last Xmas we were on ventura caribbean for 28nts. It didn't feel very Xmassy but then it was the Caribbean. The dinner and party atmosphere on Xmas night was good and New Years Eve fantastic. You just cant get entertained like that anywhere else - and if you do then you have to pay a small fortune!

We are on Adonia this Xmas - no Caribbean which is a shame as I loved the sunshine.

Valletta is a really nice place - one of my favourite cruise ports. Just walk around and enjoy the cafe culture.Domt get ripped off taking a taxi or horse and carriage from the ship up to town - just follow everyone else up the hill.

Book it!!!

Caryl

I would highly recommend it - just for the escape from the usual Xmas rush and hard work.

Last Xmas we were on ventura caribbean for 28nts. It didn't feel very Xmassy but then it was the Caribbean. The dinner and party atmosphere on Xmas night was good and New Years Eve fantastic. You just cant get entertained like that anywhere else - and if you do then you have to pay a small fortune!

We are on Adonia this Xmas - no Caribbean which is a shame as I loved the sunshine.

Valletta is a really nice place - one of my favourite cruise ports. Just walk around and enjoy the cafe culture.Domt get ripped off taking a taxi or horse and carriage from the ship up to town - just follow everyone else up the hill.

Book it!!!

Caryl

Thanks Caryl, just made the booking and already counting down!

All the best

Damian

Glad to hear you've booked!

As you're leaving from Southampton you will be able to take all your cabin decorations,cards and pressies. We're on a skimpy 20kg with Thomsons to Athens - bah!:mad:

I expect you will have fireworks in Barcelona at New year. I think New years Eve on a cruise ship is the best way to party. We had a marvellous time in New Orleans last year - on the ship, but the fireworks weren't as good as the ones in Madeira were.

We are wondering which cruise to go for next year - the choice is a bit disappointing really.

Caryl

• 1 month later...

We are on this one too, and I had more or less the same questions as you DamianG. I will watch for replies with interest.

I hope there is some festive fun. In the past Father Christmas has appeared as though jumping out of the funnel. I hope this still happens, even though it is now adults only. We may be mature in years but we are not all old fuddy duddies. We prefer to laugh our way through life.

Thanks for the tip about decorations and cards.... I didn't think of that one...

We're gradually making our plans for each port including a DIY walking tour in Valletta (thanks again for the advice Caryl). We didn't really come up with anything for Toulon so have booked the Castellet & Wine Tasting excursion, bit pricey at £44 each but think we'll enjoy it. We're still open to suggestions for any of the ports if anyone has them.

Counting down now - departure 9 weeks tomorrow!

All the best

Damian

• 1 month later...

Seville sounds a great place to visit from Cadiz and I hope you won't mind me contacting you. I am also on the Oriana X122 Xmas Cruise. We badly want to go to Seville, but the tour company haven't yet got enough people to run the tour. I thought I would send you a link to their website, in the hope that it might interest you. http://www.spaindaytours.com/cadiz-seville-shore-excursion.html If so I look forward to meeting you. -Mike

Seville sounds a great place to visit from Cadiz and I hope you won't mind me contacting you. I am also on the Oriana X122 Xmas Cruise. We badly want to go to Seville, but the tour company haven't yet got enough people to run the tour. I thought I would send you a link to their website, in the hope that it might interest you. http://www.spaindaytours.com/cadiz-seville-shore-excursion.html If so I look forward to meeting you. -Mike

Hi Mike

Sorry but we really like Cadiz and already have plans for the day (we are going to the Museo de Vino y Toros then hoping to have a leisurely lunch at Balandra). We have been to Seville previously for an overnight stay and really enjoyed it so I hope that your plan works out. My mother and father-in-law are also on this cruise so I'll let them know in case they are interested. Do you have an approximate cost?

Thanks

Damian

You'll be the first onboard after the refit and change to Adults only, let us know how it goes, I.m onboard in May.

Hi Sue

We were lucky enough to be on Oriana last May so it will be interesting to see the changes, though I don't really expect too much of a noticeable difference. In fact, our big hope is that you can still have a light breakfast at Al Fresco (or it's new equivalent) as we don't enjoy the hustle and bustle of the Conservatory. Also for us it is a shame that Oriana Rhodes is being replaced by a MPW restaurant. We have tried the latter a couple of times on Ventura and Oceana but didn't enjoy it as much.

Cheers

Damian

Thanks for prompt reply. The cost of the 8 hour trip to Seville is 79 euros per person, which sounds pretty fair. I've seen high praise for this tour company on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. Mike

Hi Mike

That sounds like excellent value especially compared to P&O's "Taste of Andalusia" excursion which is 4 hours for £60.00 (albeit with some sherry tasting thrown in). Fingers crossed for you.

Damian

Help please. We have booked tours of Lisbon, Naples and Gib. Of the others are the ports near the towns.. ie walkable, short bus hopper or even short taxi ride. Cadiz.. Cartagena ..Citavechia.. Toulon.

We know we can walk to Valetta and also Barcelona.

Thanks

Help please. We have booked tours of Lisbon, Naples and Gib. Of the others are the ports near the towns.. ie walkable, short bus hopper or even short taxi ride. Cadiz.. Cartagena ..Citavechia.. Toulon.

We know we can walk to Valetta and also Barcelona.

Thanks

Hi

The port is right next to the centre in Cadiz and it is easily walkable. It depends what you are interested in, the Mercado Publico (public market) is interesting but not that big. Torre Tavira is excellent and only €5 but has a steep staircase to get to the top for the demonstration. I think that there is an entrance fee for the cathedral and as you've seen earlier in the thread our plan is the "wine & bull fighting" museum then lunch. If you want to go shopping there is a big complex including El Cortes Ingles a 10 minute bus ride from the port gates.

We were last in Civitavecchia in April 2010 and caught the train to Rome which was straightforward. The port itself looks like it used to be a nice seaside resort and I believe that they are looking at trying to restore it to it's former glory. I hope so as that may be nice in the summer but this time we'll be heading to Rome again, catching the train as far as St Pietro on the way out then returning from the Central Station (as the train got very busy on the return leg last time).

Cartagena & Toulon are new ones for us too.

3 weeks today and counting!

Damian

• 2 weeks later...

Not many days left now!

No news so hope the refit is going well.

One thing I was wondering about .. does she need a sea trial or will this be assessed on the journey back to Southampton?

Am I right in thinking she isn't due back to Southampton till the day we go? If so, its definitely going to the wire....

DamienG.. or if anyone else is around.... sorry to disturb your packing etc.

Silly question. if ordering room service ie breakfast...do we tip whoever brings it, or wait till the end. thanks.

Hi indiana123,

We always save up pound coins for room service breakfast. We tip when they bring it, £2/$3 on a 15 night cruise, so it adds up to quite a good tip over the fortnight. We got the same person every day last cruise, but you never know, so we tip each day. I don't think they expect it at all, but they do appreciate it. :)

Have a brilliant Christmas cruise all. Wish we were going with you. :cool:

Heard Oriana had problems leaving Hamburg, but she is now underway, but won't be arriving until 00.01 on Monday.

Bet there will be panic on board getting her ready for us.

AIS shows her north-north-west of Harlingen on the Dutch coast, which I reckon is 300 miles+ to Southampton; possibly 350 miles by sea. The ABP Southampton cruise ship schedule has her arriving at 16:30 today, but she won't make that.

Indeed, further checking on the ABP Southampton site revealed that the 'Planned Ship Movements' table has her arriving at 23:59 tonight.

Archived