Aft balcony preference

Just Jo

We are booked in our first ever Aft balcony on the Epic on deck 9. I see openings on deck 13 now. We're trying to book close to our friends.

For those of you that like to stay in aft rooms, do you have a preference to lower or higher decks? I think I would always prefer higher to lower (taking in account what deck you are below with noise, etc.). Our friends may prefer lower decks. I'd love to hear other opinions. Thanks.

You may also want to look at the ship's layout and see how many floors would be between you and the places that you would be going most often. We loved being on 10 on the Dawn because it was just 3 floors up to Cagney's and the upper pool deck (or 2 to the main pool and buffet) and only 3 or 4 floors down to the other restaurants, Spinnakers, Stardust, etc... We don't like taking the elevators, so that makes a little bit of difference to us. As mentioned above, you should check out what would be above or below you, as well as what's on the same floor, as that could impact your experience.

Enjoy your aft balcony! You're gonna love it. I don't think that we'll ever book a cabin anywhere else unless it's free!

ee

@Just Jo-

We cruise in aft cabins exclusively, have been on decks 8, 9 and 10 on NCL, deck 6 on Azamara and Oceania. In most cases it did not matter which deck we were on. Based on the larger size of the Deck-10 balconies, we tried it last month. Did not like it. The added space is nice, but not really appreciated by us. However, it made us vulnerable to stuff from the Great Outdoors above being dropped on our balcony. So we'll go back to whatever is available, as long as it faces aft, and leave deck 10 to those who prefer it.

@fiftyguy -

On the Dawn deck 10 has indeed deeper balconies. (re older post, my bad).

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

@Just Jo-

We cruise in aft cabins exclusively, have been on decks 8, 9 and 10 on NCL, deck 6 on Azamara and Oceania. In most cases it did not matter which deck we were on. Based on the larger size of the Deck-10 balconies, we tried it last month. Did not like it. The added space is nice, but not really appreciated by us. However, it made us vulnerable to stuff from the Great Outdoors above being dropped on our balcony. So we'll go back to whatever is available, as long as it faces aft, and leave deck 10 to those who prefer it.

@fiftyguy -

On the Dawn deck 10 has indeed deeper balconies. (re older post, my bad).

Juergen (and Helen)

The Dawn doesn't have the Great Outdoors, so no food falling from the sky. The deck 10 aft cabins are underneath the spa, which is very quiet.

we did our first Aft deck 10 on Carnival, it was such a beautiful view and so peaceful, No one running past your room at night, one bad thing is stuff getting dropped on to your balcony from above, This cruise on NCl Gem doing deck 8 which is lower, so the food will get caught on deck 11. The view is the same, being lower maybe hear the thrushing of the waves more (yes) The gentle rocking puts u out like a light at night, have to remember it's a Balcony and not a deck...or back porch

@fiftyguy -

For the record, we were on the Jewel Deck 10 with breadcrumbs on our balcony last month. Apparently people tried to feed the gulls but didn't throw hard enough. Found paper napkins as well.

Juergen (and Helen)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. The aft balconies on the Epic are all flush to the ship, so we don't have to worry about stuff/junk/garbage/food being dropped down from above. Yay! We didn't change rooms (yet?) as we were still debating any issues from Spice H20 being two decks above the move to deck 13. Perhaps we'll just stay put. Any aft has to be great. :)

The aft balconies on Epic are completely private from the top. The back of the ship is straight...no tiers at all. There will be no food of anything else being dropped on any balcony back there.

Some folks make fun of the aft profile of the Epic. I happen to love it for the aft balconies. It is the only ship we have been on that affords total privacy on the aft balconies.

Hi coffeebean,

I was wondering on which deck was your aft cabin? Any pictures you'd like to share of your view? ( I know what the wake looks like - I just can't seem to find many pics taken from any of the aft cabins! :( ) Thanks!

I realize that all of my crusies have been in calm waters (AK and HI) but I could not sense any difference between mid ship balcony rooms and aft rooms when it came to motion. These ships are so stable that you hardly know you are moving - unlike a car. Drive systems seem to make a larger difference when it comes to vibrations. On the Sky - with shaft drive screws there were vibrations throughout the ship - esp at higher speeds. With the Azipod drive on the Pride of America there were no vibrations anywhere - however I am not sure if we ever ran at top speed.

The wake of a ship is quite facinating to watch - like a campfire it can lull you into a trance-like state.

I think that you need to take a look at what is above and below you. On the Sky we were below the Outdoors Cafe and heard them setting up in the early morning and tearing down at night - got caught in a shower one night when they hosed down the deck - yuk. With our upcomming cruise we are again on deck 10 on the Pearl but have cabins above and below us.

We were in Aft balcony cabins on the Dawn 10th floor and Gem 9th floor. The Spa was overhead so there were never any problems with any kind of a disturbance. The bakery is also at the back of these two particular ships which adds the fresh sweet aroma of baked goods to the cool salt air smell. In all honesty, we have never noticed that the Aft area was any rougher than any other area of the ship and we have sailed in some slightly rough waters.

We stayed in Epic 13278. Loved it. We could hear H2O one night but that's it & it wasn't too late in the evening. It was super nice to be close to the pools, buffet.

Perfect! Just the info I was looking for - thank you! :D

Perfect! Just the info I was looking for - thank you! :D

No problem. And if its 13293 - I'd snag it up! Not only is it higher up - its got the curve nearer the balcony. I don't think I'd move if the curve was closer to the hall but I'd grab that one. Enjoy!!

Archived